Pitchfork: "thank you Beyoncé"

taemin

Beyoncé 100% just added a full point or two to whatever they were gonna give Drake’s album on their review

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mobility Mary

• Squall

• Red Mage

• *-ChriZ-*

34 minutes ago, KeirGrey said:

They barely said anything about the actual song 

welcome to most music reviews nowadays :dies: 

4 hours ago, sugarysunflower said:

Julienne needs to take a step outside her block. The devotions thesis and highest heavenly praises for an nice, okay song. It's comparable to liturgy at this point.

• Exhibit A: "Beyoncé as an SSRI :clown:, her attempt to assuage widespread depression and crushing stress"

• Exhibit B: "In the first verse alone, she encapsulates the Great Resignation, the Great Unionization, and quarantine insomnia" UMMM....

• Exhibit C: " In the absence of a national memorial for those lost to COVID-19, celebrating life with this exact oeuvre is both haunting and comes with a sense of deliverance déjà vu. [...] is a palimpsest, its evocations and sounds layered deep in the sense memories of club heads." :rip:

• Exhibit D: "it positions Beyoncé as a diva entering her Whitney Greatest Hits era" :deadbanana2:

This is not fumes. This is calling out grandiose delusions. 

:rip:

I like the song a lot but Ms Shepherd is hackish and half of this shouldn't have made it past p4k's editors.

People (and especially publications) are so hyperbolic about Bey, it hurts. Try to tone it down like 75%. :rip:

Edited by Blade Runner

5 hours ago, Squall said:

For what? Releasing a bad song? The way they keep licking her ass even when she releases bad music while they think they are cool when constantly dragging artists like Ed Sheeran :rip: This publication :rip: 

SEETHE 

5 hours ago, Donquizote said:

:clap3:The fact they overanalyzed the lyrics when in fact it is not that deep and just a trashy songwriting :bibliahh:

They weren't talking about 30, sweaty. 

5 hours ago, sugarysunflower said:

Julienne needs to take a step outside her block. The devotions thesis and highest heavenly praises for an nice, okay song. It's comparable to liturgy at this point.

• Exhibit A: "Beyoncé as an SSRI :clown:, her attempt to assuage widespread depression and crushing stress"

• Exhibit B: "In the first verse alone, she encapsulates the Great Resignation, the Great Unionization, and quarantine insomnia" UMMM....

• Exhibit C: " In the absence of a national memorial for those lost to COVID-19, celebrating life with this exact oeuvre is both haunting and comes with a sense of deliverance déjà vu. [...] is a palimpsest, its evocations and sounds layered deep in the sense memories of club heads." :rip:

• Exhibit D: "it positions Beyoncé as a diva entering her Whitney Greatest Hits era" :deadbanana2:

Wow... Reading it like this is totally embarrassing, it's way too over the top.

Omg I :deadbanana:

5 hours ago, infrared said:

let that check cash :rip:

lol Conde Nast don't want to upset her otherwise she might not do another Vogue cover, and she was just on the cover in the UK edition

It feels like an article written by a Hive, not a journalist... But it's not like "Pitchfork" is "Rolling Stone" so :michael:

y'all look like fools celebrating this as acclaim when it didn't even get BNT :rip: that's ultimately what matters, all of p4k's reviews are fodder beyond the scores and the BNM/BNT tag. surprised people even bother reading the "reviews" anymore

So ******* corny and embarrassing :deadbanana:

It deserves the praise :clap3:

Pitchfork :toofunny3:

never really care about their opinion 

It is average track at best

Not really dislike it, but when it is played on radio, im not gonna skip it

I hope she serves something better in the album

Because she finally left that Solange aesthetique is a breathe of fresh air

Omg they’re so cringe lol the song is so terrible lol

1 hour ago, NausAllien said:

It feels like an article written by a Hive, not a journalist... But it's not like "Pitchfork" is "Rolling Stone" so :michael:

What will you do when Rolling Stone also praises it? What will the excuse be?

10 minutes ago, Shinning said:

What will you do when Rolling Stone also praises it? What will the excuse be?

Funny you say that:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beyonce-break-my-soul-review-1371564/

“Break My Soul” marks a triumphant return — and exciting genre pivot — for Beyoncé, an artist and visionary unafraid to reinvent her sonic and visual aesthetics with each new album cycle. (Her 2016 magnum opus Lemonade drew praise for its inventive fusion of hip-hop, R&B, blues and indie rock, while 2013’s Beyoncé, famously found the singer flirting with trip hop and experimental pop.) Over a pulsating house beat accentuated by looping piano progressions, Yoncé celebrates the joys of living with reckless abandon (“I just fell in love, and I just quit my job”) and the thrill of returning to a new normal after three years of a stir-crazy existence (“I’ma let down my hair ’cause I lost my mind”). While it’s difficult to not examine the song through COVID-colored glasses, it’s undeniable Beyoncé is acknowledging the shared experiences of the pandemic as she playfully quips “we back outside” before giving a shout-out to the continued importance of wearing a mask. (“In case you forgot how we act outside,” she says.)

:bibliahh: @NausAllien

8 hours ago, sugarysunflower said:

The article is so poorly written… 

Beyoncé did indeed release a cute summer bop, but it certainly doesn’t merit the exaltation espoused by this journalist.  

Hyperbolic beyond reason…. journalism is dead.

Thank you Beyoncé, for showing people that house is an incredible genre and there are countless black women who do it better than someone who has 30 plus writers for an album. 

The genre was built on incredible black women with talent and Beyoncé is betting on people not doing research to find artists who do it better. 

Edited by Red Mage

3 hours ago, NausAllien said:

According to ATRL, the entire media world consists of Hive members. Queen is just too powerful, I fear :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.