Chris Evans' Lightyear opens with only $51 million box office

Gwendolyn

2 hours ago, commander said:

Interesting how Walt Disney Animation became the new supreme with movies with half the budget of that of Pixar.

I don’t remember any Walt Disney movies recently?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• JBJT2786

• Gwendolyn

• Aristide

15 minutes ago, Gabe² said:

I don’t remember any Walt Disney movies recently?

Miss Encanto, Frozen and Moana say hi.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, Power love said:

People really don’t want to see two women kiss. Very sad how backwards we are as a culture.

Or maybe folks are getting tired of the pandering :gaycat6:

I saw it and as a person that isn't the BIGGEST Toy Story fan.....I just thought it was kind of boring? Not bad, but boring. There wasn't a lot of action, it wasn't particularly funny and I thought the supporting characters were all pretty annoying.  

Pixar don’t deserve this. Disney can go to hell

14 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

Frozen 2 opened $130.3 million in the USA and $350 million worldwide.. its a flop :rip:

Frozen 2 is the follow up of a 1 billion grossing movie that is considered a classic at this point.

Lightyear is a spin off with completely different story and animation style to its core franchise, and in a different case scenario (with the expected close release to D+ and in a market low since the pandemic) :rip:

15 hours ago, InventedGays said:

I honestly doubt that was a major factor here.  The movie was up against two MASSIVE successes with Jurassic Park & Top Gun dominating theaters, and this was the first (I think?) recent animated movie they've released only to theaters and not with a Disney+ dual release.  Most consumers aren't seeing multiple movies a month and Lightyear isn't the choice with the other two mentioned are dominating. I'm sure this will see much better traction when it's added to streaming 

I saw lots and lots of far right people and politicians in my country talking and moaning about it, and cinemas putting warning signs for parents. Something I honestly never thought I would see since my country is pretty lgtb friendly

I just think the trailers were terrible. didn't make me interested at all.

conservatives say it flopped bc of the gay kiss. hmm. 

If it really underperformed due to the kiss, it’s crazy how as a society we’re regressing :rip: 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:23 PM, Harry said:

i mean they tryna sexualize kids movies 

like what's next Disney? if anything it's deserved

There's nothing being "sexualized" in the movie though. I know there is a gay kiss and I manage to miss it while watching the film in IMAX. That's how inconsequential the scene is lol. This whole thing is like a fake outrage. 

I saw Lightyear in an early screening and once again opening weekend with my boyfriend and genuinely did not enjoy it either time. It's an absolutely gorgeous film and proves that Pixar is still the king of animation, but holy **** did the story suck ass. The characters were bad (especially the side ones), there was zero exploration of the film's universe (they're in space???), the scenery sucked, the "twist" sucked, everything was just bad. The highlight of the entire film was Sox, which felt like it didn't even belong in the film.

This film did not feel like Pixar. There wasn't heart and a sense of genuine passion behind the project. Turning Red and Luca came out the past year and both were extremely well made, emotionally driven, and were bolstered by a sweet intimate story. This film doesn't have any of that. I couldn't even tell you who Disney is trying to market to with this film. I'm not surprised the trailers for this film sucked considering there's barely anything in this film to show people that's worth a ****.

This film's issue is that it shouldn't have been made. Case closed.

The gay kiss got more media coverage than Buzz. Disney should not have let that happen...should have told their actors not to comment on it. 

Parents probably thought the movie is too sexualize for their children.

People in here actually blaming this on the same sex kiss :biblio: … trust me this film has much larger issues that lead to these disappointing box office numbers… it’s just not a great movie and wasn’t necessary 

Jurassic World killed it. Saw it today, what a great film it was.

Tom Hanks didn't voice it and no woody 

I don't think the lesbian kiss was that big a deal. Also it was straight to Disney plus. Why go to the theater when you can watch at home. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:42 PM, Stan.killah said:

Disney needs to STOP trying to be progressive in their kids movies.

There wasn't a need for there to be a gay kiss in the movie as it added nothing to the story or character development, making it feel forced in. It only created unnecessary controversy and for others to attack the movie and Disney. :swan:

um well to be fair, a kiss isn't supposed to add anything to the story. Gay or straight, so this narrative is boring. :deadbanana4:

Maybe they focussed too much on making a progressive movie than actually having a good story? And i've realized animation is kinda dead these days.

The problem of this movie was definitely not the same sex kiss, the kiss and the same sex love was actually pretty sweet and one of the few "good moments" from the movie.

The main issue was the storyline, the writing was really really poor, Lightyear was good and did his job, but they didn't use his friendship with the female commander well, instead, they brought 3 supporting characters, two of them were GOD DAMN ANNOYING AND USELESS, the connection between them were terribly poor.

Sox did really save the movie, he/she is the moment.

2 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Maybe they focussed too much on making a progressive movie than actually having a good story? And i've realized animation is kinda dead these days.

"Progressive movie" because there's a single lesbian kiss in it? :ace: The way some of you parrot the dumbest conservative talking points is just so sad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.