Chris Evans' Lightyear opens with only $51 million box office

Gwendolyn

It was expected to make $75-$80 Million.. who do we blame? 

michael-jackson.gif

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• JBJT2786

• Gwendolyn

• dirrtydiana

Deserved. Disappointed with the movie :doc:

:skull: 

Jurassic World ate it up

I thought the movie was good :emofish:

Chapek is the one to blame. His strategy of making all Pixar's films go straight to Disney+ is a huge mistake, also Light Year is not a toy story, which doesn't help.

People really don’t want to see two women kiss. Very sad how backwards we are as a culture.

A couple of days ago I was listening to the radio (MOR FM ONLINE) and they were talking about the topic of LGBT+ inclusion in children (and the Lightyear movie and the "controversial kiss" came up) and people were sending WhatsApp audios telling what they thought and most disagreed and said things like they don't want their children to see these things, that they are the ones who should be educating their children and not corporations like Disney, blah blah blah... It was so frustrating. I thought people in my city were more open-minded, but it's still the same as always.

Edited by bliaz

3 minutes ago, Power love said:

People really don’t want to see two women kiss. Very sad how backwards we are as a culture.

It’s like two seconds :deadbanana:

1 minute ago, Power love said:

The kiss is not a huge factor in this failure, the story itself is a misfire, also Pixar brand is damaged by going to Disney+, families now rather wait till they go to Disney+ to watch them instead of going to theatre.

I expected even less

Disney killed it's own theater animation industry by puttin 70% of their projects straight to Disney+ :lmao: Now most people don't bother anymore, my aunt even asked me why isn't Lightyear on D+, she was planning on watching it last night with my nephew. I had to tell her to move her ass to the cinema, and she said they'll rewatch Toy Story 4.

suffer-now-suffer.gif 

:rip:

I don't know about another country, but in the USA, which this box office likely from, Lightyear only managed to secure matinee shows in premium cinemas for opening weekend, as most evening shows are still booked by Jurassic World Dominion. So, people might want take this into account regarding this low box office numbers.

The movie itself definitely not that bad since it got A- on Cinemascore, like, it's not terrible. So I don't think it's about the movie plot at all.

The GP homophobes will pretend it’s because they boycotted the movie due to the gay kids 

“Go Woke Go Broke”

A buzz light year prequel / origin story never seemed interesting. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the trailer, and I loved the toy story movies.

Tumblr: Image

I'm surprised Disney keeps releasing these big budget animated films even though they don't appear be profitable.

It's def Disney's own doing. Instead of waiting to put Luca in theaters they instead dumped it on Disney+ which was a huge mistake. Now they made a precedent that all Pixar flicks are going to D+. Another one who doing a TS spinoff movie that's not really related much to toy story. Lastly the story is boring. This is well deserved and I hope it's a wake up for Disney.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.