Poll: China ranked #1 positive foreign influence in Africa by youth; US drops.

Communion

For the 2022 AYS, the survey interviewed youth from Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Mozambique, Sudan, and Uganda in addition to those from 2020 survey nations of Congo Brazzaville, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Zambia.

By a significant margin, more respondents (77%) saw China as the most influential foreign power active in Africa than those (67%) who said the same of the United States. Similar percentages of African youth called that influence positive, with 72% seeing value in U.S. engagement versus 76% in China’s. That said, the U.S. has experienced an 11-point decline since the 2019 survey in respondents saying America’s role is positive. This past year, only 26% described U.S. influence as “very positive.”

“There is no question that China is the dominant player in Africa today,” Ichikowitz said. “Overall we are seeing a much more positive approach to China, that’s going to drive a lot more engagement with China.”

Positive sentiment toward China was strongest in Rwanda, Malawi and Nigeria. The survey, which involves lengthy face-to-face interviews, will be run annually. About 42% of the world’s youth are expected to be African by 2030.

https://africa.businessinsider.com/local/markets/the-2022-african-youth-survey-china-and-the-us-viewed-as-positive-influences/k5kh6s7

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-12/china-surpasses-us-in-the-eyes-of-young-africans-survey-shows?utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-economics&utm_content=economics&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• Cloudy

• CaptainMusic

• Bears01

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm are they sure about that? :biblio:

The propaganda is slowing working :gaycat6: I hate it 

I'm surprised the US had that title in the first place (✿☉。☉)

I mean… I wish people would leave African alone altogether but this is what the West has been doing for centuries

China's going to overtake the US by many metrics in due time, so not surprised. While we're worrying about how many genders there are and Lizzo's lyrics being offensive they're advancing at an insane pace in a number of areas. time to learn Mandarin :cm:

Really? The African youth prefer infrastructure investment and low interest loans over weapons import and regime change? What the **** is wrong with them?

12 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

China's going to overtake the US by many metrics in due time, so not surprised. While we're worrying about how many genders there are and Lizzo's lyrics being offensive they're advancing at an insane pace in a number of areas. time to learn Mandarin :cm:

Such GOP talking points. It's great that people have the time to think about those things because it means that life is relatively easy here in the west.  China's GDP per capita is the same as Russia's, so a lot of people are really poor still.

I love china and how they exploit the African people :clap3: africans love to be exploited I guess, the US might consider going back there and.. you know... 

-this post is brought to you by sarcasm*- 

10 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

It's because China has been investing heavily in Africa. 

For their own selfish reasons :rip: 

Not sure how reliable this poll is, many Africans I know dislike China because of the rampant racism they’ve experienced either in China and their own countries from Chinese store owners. 

16 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

It's because China has been investing heavily in Africa. 

They are doing it to hold some of these African countries hostage in the future. Some of the infrastructure they are building then belongs to them because these countries can't pay for it, that's why they are building lots and lots of airports, dams, etc.

They are also notorious for sending chinese labour there so they aren't really helping local population work and get paid and the ones they employed they treat them like ****.

11 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

For their own selfish reasons :rip: 

Not sure how reliable this poll is, many Africans I know dislike China because of the rampant racism they’ve experienced either in China and their own countries from Chinese store owners. 

5 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

They are doing it to hold some of these African countries hostage in the future. Some of the infrastructure they are building then belongs to them because these countries can't pay for it, that's why they are building lots and lots of airports, dams, etc.

They are also notorious for sending chinese labour there so they aren't really helping local population work and get paid and the ones they employed they treat them like ****.

Yes, unlike the US who only exports explosive weapons and coup d'etat for totally altruistic reasons.

Edited by Desperate Fantast

1 minute ago, Desperate Fantast said:

Yes, unlike the US who only exports explosive weapons and coup d'etat for totally altruistic reasons.

I don't think anyone would argue that the scope of the USA's presence in Africa isn't altrustic, but China's isn't either. In the videos posted above it's pretty well explained why they are doing it. So this whole China good, USA bad take some of the people in this site have is so dumb because you know well what's the purpose behind China's actions. No need to play dense on purpose

They aren't giving them all these infrastructures for free, they are increasing their debt and then taking ownership of those infrastructures like airports and such in order to have a big influence and control over these countries. The worst part is how they are said to not even use full African labour and just ship many Chinese citizens to do the work so local people ain't even getting work out of it

7 minutes ago, Desperate Fantast said:

The U.S uses and treats Africa like **** as well.

But what we’re not gonna do is believe ithe propaganda the OP constantly spreads about China and believe they have Africa’s (or any black person period) best interest in heart because they don’t.

3 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

I don't think anyone would argue that the scope of the USA's presence in Africa isn't altrustic, but China's isn't either. In the videos posted above it's pretty well explained why they are doing it. So this whole China good, USA bad take some of the people in this site have is so dumb because you know well what's the purpose behind China's actions. No need to play dense on purpose

They aren't giving them all these infrastructures for free, they are increasing their debt and then taking ownership of those infrastructures like airports and such in order to have a big influence and control over these countries. The worst part is how they are said to not even use full African labour and just ship many Chinese citizens to do the work so local people ain't even getting work out of it

This :clap3: 

And many of the Chinese citizens they send over there are racist and treat African locals terribly smh. 

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

The U.S uses and treats Africa like **** as well.

But what we’re not gonna do is believe ithe propaganda the OP constantly spreads about China and believe they have Africa’s (or any black person period) best interest in heart because they don’t.

Who's saying that? It literally doesn't matter when you have the US on the other side of the argument, unless your argument is that war and chaos are somehow preferable to infrastructure and economic growth.

China is absolutely awful to many African nations. There are Chinese only businesses over there and they get away with it for the most part. This is awful, they should leave Africa alone.

Just now, Desperate Fantast said:

Who's saying that? It literally doesn't matter when you have the US on the other side of the argument, unless your argument is that war and chaos are somehow preferable to infrastructure and economic growth.

And what good does that infrastructure do to the country if it's under Chinese control? The whole point is to basically hold these african nations hostage and basically exploit them for their cheap labour and natural resources. Not very different of what the US has done for decades, and bold of you to asume China isn't selling and arming some of these nations in conflict, I mean what better way than to take their precious minerals

We love an excusable neo-colonialism :clap: bad bad America shame on them!

55 minutes ago, Cain said:

I mean… I wish people would leave African alone altogether but this is what the West has been doing for centuries

two wrongs don't make a right.. come on whataboutism! 

Just now, Cloudy said:

The whole point is to basically hold these african nations hostage and basically exploit them for their cheap labour and natural resources.

You've literally said the exact opposite about labour at least twice. Make up your mind.

Just now, Cloudy said:

Not very different of what the US has done for decades

It is objectively extremely different, unless you've got receipts about China propping up genocidal dictators, inciting and arming ethnic conflicts, committing mass murders, robbing central banks, destabilizing regimes, etc.

Just now, Cloudy said:

and bold of you to asume China isn't selling and arming some of these nations in conflict, I mean what better way than to take their precious minerals

I don't, but you seem to assume plenty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.