I miss the 22 episode format for TV shows too many shows feel like a long movie

Josh

I know that some networks still do the 22 episode format but the majority don't.

What I love about the 22 episode format is that it gives us more of a journey, a chance to explore the show's world and it's characters.

Gives us a reason to root for them and like them. a show like Stranger Things imo would benefit from a 22 episode season. Shows these days just feel too much like a long movie.

For example a show like Buffy would never be able to work with only 9 or 12 episodes.

I love the occasional filler episode every now and then. For example "The Zeppo" is one of the best episodes on Buffy and it's not even part of the main story line of season 3. The only time I think a 9 episode season works is if it's a limited series like on Netflix.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Power love

• Khal

• Angelgrande

The attention span of people is too short for a Lost like episode season

Yeah a lot of the shows I used to watch were like 24 episodes a season, starting in September, winter break Dec-Jan, and return in Feb :chick3:

2 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

Yeah a lot of the shows I used to watch were like 24 episodes a season, starting in September, winter break Dec-Jan, and return in Feb :chick3:

Why do TV shows feel like theatrical films now? is it the technology?

Yeah when I re-watch shows I grew up on, it’s kinda nostalgic. I don’t mind 13 episode shows tho, it’s just these damn 6-8 episode shows that make a lot of stories feel rushed and too streamlined. 

3 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Yeah when I re-watch shows I grew up on, it’s kinda nostalgic. I don’t mind 13 episode shows tho, it’s just these damn 6-8 episode shows that make a lot of stories feel rushed and too streamlined. 

Agree 

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think they believe people want quick stories thanks to streaming so they don't have the confidence in fleshing out stories. Even filler episodes help complete a show.

Just now, Almodusa said:

I think they believe people want quick stories thanks to streaming so they don't have the confidence in fleshing out stories. Even filler episodes help complete a show.

Season finales these days don't feel satisfying. When I rewatch Buffy I always feel satisfied at the end of every season  

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

It’s a trend I guess. Once a few shows start doing it and get popular, everyone else wants to. It’s kinda boring because everything is so melodramatic and dark these days.. we need lighter material to balance it out

36 minutes ago, Josh said:

For example a show like Buffy would never be able to work with only 9 or 12 episodes.

I actually don’t agree.

I wish Buffy had 10-15 episodes it gives it more time to explore the main villain of the season . How to get away with murder only had 16 & The walking dead. I’m all about getting to the point & making a cohesive season. 

22 is simply too much & i always find myself losing interest. 

2 minutes ago, KMO said:

It’s a trend I guess. Once a few shows start doing it and get popular, everyone else wants to. It’s kinda boring because everything is so melodramatic and dark these days.. we need lighter material to balance it out

it's why I somewhat like Emily in Paris it reminds me of a 90's cheesy that you would see on the WB. 

Just now, Power love said:

I actually don’t agree.

I wish Buffy had 10-15 episodes it gives it more time to explore the main villain of the season . How to get away with murder only had 16 & The walking dead. I’m all about getting to the point & making a cohesive season. 

22 is simply too much & i always find myself losing interest. 

TWD had 16 and season 3 was still awful.

that many episodes tends to destroy shows, forcing writers to pad with so much filler and exhausting them of ideas after a single season. i really can't think of many excellent shows that had that many episodes beyond classic sitcoms that didn't have to deal with plot buildup or character growth. 

2 minutes ago, teresaguidice said:

that many episodes tends to destroy shows, forcing writers to pad with so much filler and exhausting them of ideas after a single season. i really can't think of many excellent shows that had that many episodes beyond classic sitcoms that didn't have to deal with plot buildup or character growth. 

Buffy season 2, 3 and 5 are excellent TV with that many episodes

same thoughts

i miss the days when shows like Gossip Girl had like 25 episodes per season (45 mins each) and it would take me days/weeks to catch up with my friends

now, it’s 7-8 episodes (25-30 minutes each) where i watch 2 episodes a day just so i wouldn’t finish it too fast :sleep: 

Edited by Taylucifer

I actually disagree tbh especially when watching old shows and there really is so much filler :emofish: But I do hate this 6-8 episode trend now. I feel like the sweet spot is 10-12 and of course at least 45 minutes long each ep 

1 minute ago, Josh said:

wasn't buffy essentially a procedural with a new monster/problem to deal with every week? procedurals, like sitcoms, were so popular because they're easier to do with so many episodes, sprinkling in the arcs throughout but essentially creating standalone episodes for the most part. 

1 minute ago, teresaguidice said:

wasn't buffy essentially a procedural with a new monster/problem to deal with every week? procedurals, like sitcoms, were so popular because they're easier to do with so many episodes, sprinkling in the arcs throughout but essentially creating standalone episodes for the most part. 

but it still had a main story line each season. Season 5 was serialized 

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ya it really depended on the shows. Buffy, Charmed, 24, etc were all great shows that managed to have long seasons. A lot of them managed weekly villains while slowly building toward a main season finale. There were also shows like Pretty Little Liars that needed to be shorter seasons (and had some bad writing).

That's why Dynasty SLAYS

16 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Ya it really depended on the shows. Buffy, Charmed, 24, etc were all great shows that managed to have long seasons. A lot of them managed weekly villains while slowly building toward a main season finale. There were also shows like Pretty Little Liars that needed to be shorter seasons (and had some bad writing).

PLL would have deffo benefitted from the short season format. too many stupid plots like Ezra's fake son

I actually like these short series we have now. Maybe 10-15 episodes max.

i remember waiting every week for Vampire Diaries and got so angry/frustrated if that week was a filler episode :skull: and sometimes they dragged it out too long I don’t even remember what has happened previously.

the current crop of writers lack talent i fear

I much prefer this current format tbh. Those old tv shows with 25 episodes per season would have so many filler episodes that wouldn't add absolutely anything to the plot it was exhausting. I'd rather watch a tv show with 8 ~ 13 consistent episodes per season than waste my time watching 15 filler episodes :sorry:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.