UK: RUTH #1 making history, Kate oldest female ever to score a number one

Ger

kate-bush-official-chart-record-breaker-running-up-that-hill-number-1-single.jpg?width=796&mode=stretch

Kate Bush tops this week’s Official Singles Chart with Running Up That Hill, 37 years after the song’s release, breaking a slew of Official Chart records in the process, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

The song’s popularity has exploded in previous weeks, becoming a zeitgeist-defining moment not just in the UK but around the world following its inclusion in the latest season of Netflix’s Stranger Things, introducing the warped New Wave track to a whole new generation of fans.

By landing at Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart, Kate Bush achieves three all-time Official Chart records simultaneously:

Kate boasts the longest-ever gap between Number 1 singles in Official Chart history. With 44 years between her 1978 chart topper Wuthering Heights and 2022’s Running Up That Hill, she beats Tom Jones’s 42-year gap between Green Green Grass of Home and charity single (Barry) Islands in the Stream.

Moreover, Kate now claims the record of longest time taken for a single to reach Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart. Running Up That Hill first entered the chart in August 1985 and now hits the top spot 37 years later. The record was previously held by Wham!, who saw Last Christmas top the Official Singles Chart 36 years after its release.

If that’s not enough record-smashing for one week, Kate today also becomes the oldest female artist ever to score a Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart. At 63 years and 11 months, she replaces Cher, who was 52 when Believe topped the Official Singles Chart in 1998. Kate now places fifth on the list of oldest artists to score a UK Number 1 single.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/kate-bushs-running-up-that-hill-is-official-charts-number-1-single-singer-becomes-3-x-official-charts-record-breaker-with-stranger-things-success__36605/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brishka

• CaptainMusic

• PoisonPill

• discreetinside

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATS QUEEN :jonny4:

holy sh*t :jonny5: us little Babooshkers really WON 

How is this a record? The song was released when she was young, so this "record" is not impressive. 

Cher was 52 when she topped the charts. "Believe" remains the superior song as well.   

Edited by Brishka

Wuthering Heights needs a resurgence next :duca: the US paid her dust!

2 minutes ago, Brishka said:

How is this a record? The song was released when she was young, so this record is not impressive. 

Cher was 52 when she topped the charts.  

…The song was released 37 years ago and is now topping the chart when she’s 63, that is extremely impressive :skull: 

Cher is still the oldest to go #1 with a new song which is different.

-

Legend :clap3: 

Edited by CaptainMusic

• ATRL Moderator

Talent finally won :clap3:  Congrats to Kate!

Also, the best dance song of the year is now top 5 :clap3:   a great week in the charts

Legend :clap3:

Now do interview queen

This is so surreal I never thought I'd see Kate Bush smashing this hard in 2022, she deserves it

Tumblr: Image

9 minutes ago, Brishka said:

How is this a record? The song was released when she was young, so this "record" is not impressive. 

Cher was 52 when she topped the charts. "Believe" remains the superior song as well.   

Kinda my thoughts as well but Kate is one of my faves and having a song from the 80’s shoot to #1 is definitely a phenomenon so let’s let her keep this :gaycat3:

14 minutes ago, Brishka said:

Wow 

There is always one 

This is so so so impressive, because sure it went viral but keep LOVED it otherwise it wouldn't have the stability it's having after 4 weeks.

19 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

Kinda my thoughts as well but Kate is one of my faves and having a song from the 80’s shoot to #1 is definitely a phenomenon so let’s let her keep this :gaycat3:

It is technically true, but the "record" is not impressive. Gen Z wouldn't be streaming RUTH if that song was recorded by a 63-year-old woman. Smashing in the 50s like Cher is definitely more impressive, which is why she continues to hold that record in my book.  

Edited by Brishka

I'm just so happy for her, she really deserves this. :clap3:

So well deserved :clap3:

That's cool, but it would be impressive if she had topped the chart with a new song at age of 63. :michael: 

Amazing :clap3:

It's what she deserves :clap3:

14 minutes ago, Brishka said:

It is technically true, but the "record" is not impressive. Gen Z wouldn't be streaming RUTH if that song was recorded by a 63-year-old woman. Smashing in the 50s like Cher is definitely more impressive, which is why she continues to hold that record in my book.  

No one gives a damn about your book, according to the OCC KATE now has the record, stay mad :lmao: 

-

Congrats to Kate on setting these records :clap3: 

3 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

No one gives a damn about your book, according to the OCC KATE now has the record, stay mad :lmao: 

-

Congrats to Kate on setting these records :clap3: 

I'm not "mad." I'm just stating the obvious.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.