BLONDE (2022) | Ana de Armas is Marilyn Monroe | Best Actress nom!

The Witch

I haven't watched it but I feel so bad for Ana reading all these comments :(

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Witch

• Sharapov

• Donquizote

• Blue Monday

I could see this negatively impacting Ana's career and public perception going forward. She needs to pick better roles from this point onward, it's imperative that she does, because this role alone is going to do a lot of damage to her career with nothing to show for it (no awards, critical acclaim or smash hit, just disgust for accepting such a disgusting role about a woman she claims to admire. No one would agree to take part in an exploitative project of this nature about someone they admired and respected).

Edited by est. in 90s

2 hours ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

I haven't watched it but I feel so bad for Ana reading all these comments :(

why? what the **** did she expect?? its making me take off my stan card. shameless

5 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

why? what the **** did she expect?? its making me take off my stan card. shameless

Probably acclaim and awards. There's no way she took on that role, with all she had to do, thinking it would result in it being panned and hated.

She most likely thought this would be some big, acclaimed award season thing like Jackie, and the standing ovation at Venice probably deluded her even more :deadbanana4:

Edited by Khal

Also, why isn't the author of this getting lashed? I know she labelled it as fiction, but It feels weird that you can basically make up stories about someone's life and profit from it :rip:

deubts on netflix with ok numbers, 37 million hours, behind another week of Lou

16 minutes ago, Khal said:

Probably acclaim and awards. There's no way she took on that role, with all she had to do, thinking it would result in it being panned and hated.

well, she was very disrespectful to marilyn taking the role so poor ha. after the affleck fiasco and this you can tell she'd do anything to be a big star

On 10/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, zaso said:

this was disgusting like this has to be the worst biopic ever made and so damn disrespectful too

i don't know anything about marylin but the way she's depicted in this is horrible :rip: a weak woman being abused by different men and crying her whole life like was that all they got from her life

male directors should stay away from directing movies about women especially ones with sensitive topics like this :biblio: why was her trauma with rape and abuse  exploited so much? it was basically the center of the whole movie without focusing on any other aspect of her life

some of the flashback scenes and the scenes that tried to be deep and artsy had me cackling :deadbanana4: the director couldn't even get that right

she didn't come off as weak to me 

2 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

she didn't come off as weak to me 

i don't know she was crying the whole movie and never stood up to anyone who took advantage of her

7 hours ago, est. in 90s said:

I could see this negatively impacting Ana's career and public perception going forward. She needs to pick better roles from this point onward, it's imperative that she does, because this role alone is going to do a lot of damage to her career with nothing to show for it (no awards, critical acclaim or smash hit, just disgust for accepting such a disgusting role about a woman she claims to admire. No one would agree to take part in an exploitative project of this nature about someone they admired and respected).

i said it in another thread too but she's doing too many roles that rely on her sex appeal meanwhile her biggest role is the opposite of that

and i actually hope it affects her career cuz i can't believe she agreed to do this after reading this blatantly sexist script :deadbanana4:

I always thought Marilyn played up the baby doll coquettish vibe for the movies. She was business minded and knew what worked. I didn't know she behaved that way 100% in real life. The movie makes her out to be brain damaged. PANNED. :gaycat4:

9 hours ago, AlanRickman1946 said:

I always thought Marilyn played up the baby doll coquettish vibe for the movies. She was business minded and knew what worked. I didn't know she behaved that way 100% in real life. The movie makes her out to be brain damaged. PANNED. :gaycat4:

People who knew her say she was one of the most well read and intelligent people they ever met. This piece of trash movie just makes her seem like a helpless victim. The director is a misogynist CREEP.

12 hours ago, AlanRickman1946 said:

2 hours ago, Jay07 said:

People who knew her say she was one of the most well read and intelligent people they ever met. This piece of trash movie just makes her seem like a helpless victim. The director is a misogynist CREEP.

We spilled

On 10/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, M André said:

Someone dubbed the scene of the fetus with some latino anti abortion propaganda and it fits :deadbanana2:

:bibliahh:

I SCREAMED! Not one of the comments saying La Chilindrina from El Chavo del 8 was the baby's voice. :deadbanana4:

Wait! What happened with this movie? I thought this was Ana's road to the Oscars. :eek:

Edited by Roberto

• 2 months later...

i just watched. movie was awful, excellently made and ana was amazing. i hope SHE DOES get award recognition even if the movie is rotten.

Kylizzle

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it last night. I liked it, definitely a lot of questionable and incredibly uncomfortable moments, but overall I enjoyed it. Amazing performance by Ana de Armas, and outstanding cinematography. I liked the sound design too.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, AlanRickman1946 said:

Marilyn was a recognized female pioneer in the film business at a time when the studio system ruled and even the biggest stars were signed to highly one-sided contracts that ensured the studio could dictate their projects and pay, and could keep them on contract for long periods of time without work (for example, if a star rebelled, the punishment was that they would not be cast). Marilyn was grossly underpaid in the early phase of her career because she had signed one of these contracts before she became a star. In 1955, she said "**** you" to 20th Century Fox when they kept offering her "dumb blonde" parts and founded her own production studio - she was the first woman to do. When she later signed back with Fox, she had unprecedented creative control - over projects, directors, script and co-stars (her contract even stipulated that all her films were to be shot in colour, a provision which she elected to forgo for creative reasons for Some Like It Hot and The Misfits). Historians should give Marilyn a lot of credit for accelerating the dissolution of the studio system, which ultimately collapsed by the mid-1960's. Stars were then free to choose their own projects, and to negotiate their pay and other details such as creative control, and most importantly, were not obliged to work for only one studio.

In 1962, when Fox fired Marilyn from her final, uncompleted film, her co-star Dean Martin refused to proceed without her.  Peter Levathes, who was head of production, visited her at her home the week she died to negotiate her rehiring. She had leverage and negotiated a significant increase in salary ($1M for a two-film deal rather than $100k for one). Levathes later called her an astute businesswoman. Interestingly, Marilyn was playing a mother for the first time and was also using her natural voice in the film, in what was a highly intentional shift in her image. The film would have featured the first nude scene from a major female star. Marilyn had also evolved to a highly chic early-1960's aesthetic.

So much of Marilyn's public image was heavily and intentionally curated by her, and as a result, in death she can be anything to anyone - hence a film like Blonde being produced. The raw footage (below) from her final, uncompleted film (ironically titled "Somethings Got to Give"), where she does take after take and banters with the production crew and cast, probably gives us the closest possible glimpse of what she was really like.

Edited by DammnBaby

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, frickenheckyea said:

Getting a Razzie nom and an Oscar nom for the same role in the same week is wild 💀

She hasn't been nominated for a Razzie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.