BLONDE (2022) | Ana de Armas is Marilyn Monroe | Best Actress nom!

The Witch

2 hours ago, Negev said:

This is a real thing? Is that the final shot of the movie where her "spirit" is hugging the pillow?

No, I refer to the shot that happens just after she has a nightmare where some random people are at her home. It exactly recreates the photo that a coroner took when Marilyn was discovered dead, lying face down on her bed. And I'd also say that the final shot of Ana's feet, leaving aside the foot fetish thing, is a reference to that photo of Marilyn inside a stainless steel drawer at the morgue where her feet are visible.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Witch

• Sharapov

• Donquizote

• Blue Monday

I tried to watch this last night but turned it off after an hour or so. Definitely too long, and I really didn't like the way she was portrayed. I'll try to watch the rest at some point, maybe I was too tired last night. 

I only really liked Ana's acting, but other than that... :biblio:

I felt quite conflicted about this after I watched it. I thought the film was visually very good, and I enjoyed the switching between B&W and different aspect ratio, I also thought Ana’s performance was good.

But the film does seem exploitative towards a woman who has already been so exploited so much in her life and after her death. I’m also quite grossed out by the fact that so much of the film is fiction- the abortions, Cass’s death, her mother trying to kill her, and more… if the whole point of the movie being so dark and grotesque is to show the reality of her life, why add so much fiction for dramatic effect? It just seems quite disrespectful to Marilyn and I think the movie still could have been dark and disturbing but more respectful to her

2 minutes ago, The Witch said:

Can't believe that white man ruined Ana's chances smh

@Leptine

Fc-87MeXwA4UVOl?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'm not totally surprised, the movie was ready since time and kept being delayed, the rumors of last years with Netflix being horrified with the result and Venice festival rejecting it were probably true, then the director didn't want to change it so Netflix probably realized that it was too late to make changes and they still tried with what they had, they were probably hoping to get a 'Spencer' out of this, I mean Ana is not totally over, her chances are lower but she can still getting some nodes.

As someone who watched this without knowing anything about Marilyn's life, this was so confusing :rip: like one second she was in a throuple with twins or whatever and then they stop appearing out of nowhere, and then she marries a guy and they never show the wedding, then she's suddenly divorced, etc. like there where a lot of things that weren't explained, i feel like they tried to cover a lot of things but 3 hours weren't enough, but then again they gave us like 5 minutes of the wind blowing Marilyn's dress :rip: like yeah, we get it, it's an iconic moment, but you could've used that time to explain more important things.

Also I don't understand why some scenes were in black and white and other ones in color :huh: a lot of unnecessary nude/explicit scenes too.

The fetus talking scene was ridiculous tbh, felt like pro-life propaganda.

And the way they portrait Marilyn's is kinda disgusting :rip: i didn't like it at all.

I have to say tho, visually speaking is a stunning movie, and Ana gave an amazing performance. 

14 minutes ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

What's worse is that Marilyn actually wanted to have children, but she had problems to conceive so she had many miscarriages, to turn that into abortions is so gross, this movie is outright evil.

6 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

This film is horrible. 99% of it is fiction. Just disgusting. 

its based on a book and it is a fictional story. its not a biography. thats what all of you and the critics are forgetting

it's disgusting

too many s.e.x scenes (esp. the one with the Kennedy), too many explicit stuff...It doesnt feel right. This woman is dead and they literally made a movie how she's

giving a hand and bj  to the president ffs

disgusting. the worst Marylin- themed movie i've ever watched. **** netflix

Edited by Grumpy Cat

When stars turned into sperms in that one scene... They thought they ate.. it was a horrible movie.

39 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

its based on a book and it is a fictional story. its not a biography. thats what all of you and the critics are forgetting

If anything that just makes it worse :rip: why is the director using Marilyn's image to tell stories that didn't even happen? Like i know most biopics have scenes and stories that weren't real, but from what I've heard/read a lot of the things in the movie were pure fiction, like Marilyn's mother trying to drown her, the abortions, the throuple, some rape scenes, the JFK scene, among others, to me it just sounds like the director wanted to make a movie about people abusing and assaulting a woman, with unnecessary nude and explicit scenes, painting her to be a dumb girl who suffers all the time and calls every man in her life "Daddy" and figured out that if he used Marilyn's image he would get a lot of money and publicity from it :rip:

Some of the slow motion scenes feel so unnecessary and pretentious :rip: 

Like yeah, they're visually pretty, but it comes off like an Abercrombie & Fitch ad

2 hours ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

As someone who watched this without knowing anything about Marilyn's life, this was so confusing :rip: like one second she was in a throuple with twins or whatever and then they stop appearing out of nowhere, and then she marries a guy and they never show the wedding, then she's suddenly divorced, etc. like there where a lot of things that weren't explained, i feel like they tried to cover a lot of things but 3 hours weren't enough, but then again they gave us like 5 minutes of the wind blowing Marilyn's dress :rip: like yeah, we get it, it's an iconic moment, but you could've used that time to explain more important things.

Also I don't understand why some scenes were in black and white and other ones in color :huh: a lot of unnecessary nude/explicit scenes too.

And the way they portrait Marilyn's is kinda disgusting :rip: i didn't like it at all.

I have to say tho, visually speaking is a stunning movie, and Ana gave an amazing performance. 

yeah, not only the film feels highly misogynistic but also the screenplay is a ******* mess because of how incoherent and chaotic it was structured. nothing really made any sense and most of the scenes and segments had no linear narrative whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, Versayce said:

No, I refer to the shot that happens just after she has a nightmare where some random people are at her home. It exactly recreates the photo that a coroner took when Marilyn was discovered dead, lying face down on her bed. And I'd also say that the final shot of Ana's feet, leaving aside the foot fetish thing, is a reference to that photo of Marilyn inside a stainless steel drawer at the morgue where her feet are visible.

It's unsettling that pictures like those are out there. I don't think this film presented her as a very capable woman. But I wouldn't consider this a biopic because there's a lot of fiction in this film. 

2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Well, it's still so disrespectful to Marilyn, JFK and Joe DiMaggio, also many people that not familiar with Marylin and her real story will take it for a clear coin  :gaycat2:

this was disgusting like this has to be the worst biopic ever made and so damn disrespectful too

i don't know anything about marylin but the way she's depicted in this is horrible :rip: a weak woman being abused by different men and crying her whole life like was that all they got from her life

male directors should stay away from directing movies about women especially ones with sensitive topics like this :biblio: why was her trauma with rape and abuse  exploited so much? it was basically the center of the whole movie without focusing on any other aspect of her life

some of the flashback scenes and the scenes that tried to be deep and artsy had me cackling :deadbanana4: the director couldn't even get that right

2 hours ago, JohnWayneHolland said:

If anything that just makes it worse :rip: why is the director using Marilyn's image to tell stories that didn't even happen? Like i know most biopics have scenes and stories that weren't real, but from what I've heard/read a lot of the things in the movie were pure fiction, like Marilyn's mother trying to drown her, the abortions, the throuple, some rape scenes, the JFK scene, among others, to me it just sounds like the director wanted to make a movie about people abusing and assaulting a woman, with unnecessary nude and explicit scenes, painting her to be a dumb girl who suffers all the time and calls every man in her life "Daddy" and figured out that if he used Marilyn's image he would get a lot of money and publicity from it :rip:

this

it feels like a pervert making his dream sleazy exploitation film but with a prominent figure's name attached to it and some artsy shots to make it sell :biblio:

I hadn't been following the social media discourse about this movie and I'm truly shocked after watching :rip: I've never seen a biopic so focused on destroying its protagonist, like wtf

Absolutely bizarre & repugnant film. :deadbanana4:

The only positives I can give about it are Ana's performance, the Cinematography,  and the recreations.  Because everything else about it is a misfire. 

They sexualized and infantilized her way too much. You could have a literal drinking game with the amount of times Ana's Marliyn said daddy :deadbanana4: There was no context to the trippy scenes or the sensationalized scenes in the movie. 

That JFK scene :deadbanana4: The Juniors :deadbanana4: An actual disservice to Marilyn's legacy.  Deserves several Razzie nominations. 

For those still defending this atrocity, the director literally called Marilyn a "*****" and that nobody watches her movies anymore

Yeah it's "fiction" but he never had good intentions

imagine if watts or especially chastain stuck with the film instead. 

though chastain was def channeling marilyn in the help.

saw it last night and yeah, it was absolute trash. as a classic movie nerd this was so offensive, and I hate to see Marilyn reduced to this. she was an amazing woman and a really talented actress with perfect comedic timing. she had so much more to offer than this depiction. 

yes Ana was really good but her performance was overshadowed by everything else that was happening. 

I never read the book but what really puzzles me is how/why it was so acclaimed if it’s so sexist and exploitative? :biblio:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.