• Control
    • True Blue
  2. 2. More Remembered

• Control
    • True Blue
  3. 3. Which Do You Prefer?

• Control
    • True Blue

...Continuing the threads pitting Madonna and Janet's albums, which do you prefer, which is bigger in the USA (since clearly True Blue dominates around the globe), and which is more remembered?

Album: 7x Platinum, 5 weeks at No. One

Live to Tell: #1

Papa Don't Preach: #1

True Blue: #3

Open Your Heart: #1

La Isla Bonita: #4

Janet-Jackson-Control-Album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

Album: 5x Platinum, 2 weeks at No. One

What Have You Done For Me Lately: #4

Nasty: #3

When I Think of You: #1

Control: #5

Let's Wait a While: #2

The Pleasure Principle: #14

Edited by UseYourIllusion2002

Bigger in the U.S.

• Control.

More Remembered.

• True Blue

Preference.

• Control

”Control” has higher highs than “True Blue” as a whole hence why I prefer the album. Ironically, of Madonna’s 1980’s repetoire, her severely underrated debut and the “Like A Prayer” are my favourite albums of hers. I’ve never fully liked or “TB” and only like some songs on “LAV”. TB” is clearly and vastly more remembered though. 

Nasty + The Pleasure Principle >>> 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Ooo this is a better match up. Imo True Blue was bigger in the US (more units and three number one singles) and is more remembered, by virtue of Janet being wrongfully snubbed by society. But I prefer Control, more bops and less skips. Madge’s best 80s album is her debut tbh, just dance pop perfection. 

Control was bigger in the US. Yes it didn’t shift as many units as True Blue, but it was #6 on the 1986 YEC charts and #5 on the 1987 YEC charts. What kind of longevity :1stplace:

That doesn’t take away Papa Don’t Preach being the 1986 US Song of the Summer.

True Blue for all tbh. Control is more consistent but TB has so many classics. :heart2:

True Blue for all. All of the singles went to #1 around the world and the album was a massive global hit.

Love Janet but Madonna will always be my main b***h. :heart:

"it's all about control..."

1 hour ago, sugarysunflower said:

Control was bigger in the US. Yes it didn’t shift as many units as True Blue, but it was #6 on the 1986 YEC charts and #5 on the 1987 YEC charts. What kind of longevity :1stplace:

That doesn’t take away Papa Don’t Preach being the 1986 US Song of the Summer.

True I agree that Control's longevity is insane, but Whitney's 1987 album was #12 on the 1988 YE Charts, and we know that album ran circles around True Blue and Control on the BB200 :rip: 

Control takes this one :giraffe:

Also isn’t TB eligible for x9 Plat in the US? Sales wise its bigger there. 

Edited by Jjang

Control, easily.

True Blue is one of Madonna's worst along with Rebel Heart, Madame X, MDNA, Hard Candy, Like a Virgin, American Life

3 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Bigger in the U.S.

• Control.

More Remembered.

• True Blue

Preference.

• Control

”Control” has higher highs than “True Blue” as a whole hence why I prefer the album. Ironically, of Madonna’s 1980’s repetoire, her severely underrated debut and the “Like A Prayer” are my favourite albums of hers. I’ve never fully liked or “TB” and only like some songs on “LAV”. TB” is clearly and vastly more remembered though. 

Nasty + The Pleasure Principle >>> 

Great post. And I agree. As a Janet stan, it’s hard for me to ever vote “most remembered” in her favor against any of her peers. And it’s Janet’s fault for not maintaining her legacy. Poor playlisting, one of the most pathetic YouTube channels of any artist (blocked videos, videos not uploaded at all, crap quality), and missed opportunities to capitalize on certain moments.

4 hours ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

janetjackson_control_28ve.jpg

Album: 5x Platinum, 2 weeks at No. One

What Have You Done For Me Lately: #4

Nasty: #3

When I Think of You: #1

Control: #5

Let's Wait a While: #2

The Pleasure Principle: #14

Mind you Janet achieved those peaks when urban radio airplay wasn't counting towards the Hot 100. :hoetenks:

Without that racist ass Billboard rule all the songs would've been #1 except maybe TPP. :jonny:

It still kills me that black artists had such a disadvantage up until the 90's.

OT: Control for all except more remembered.

2 hours ago, Jjang said:

Also isn’t TB eligible for x9 Plat in the US? Sales wise its bigger there. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's eligible for 9x Platinum in the USA, especially with La Isla Bonita being so huge on streaming. Control also hasn't been updated since the early 90s but I know True Blue was certified 5x Plat a year after its release, and Control didn't reach that until 1989. So True Blue was definitely selling more copies than Control.

8 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Mind you Janet achieved those peaks when urban radio airplay wasn't counting towards the Hot 100. :hoetenks:

Without that racist ass Billboard rule all the songs would've been #1 except maybe TPP. :jonny:

It still kills me that black artists had such a disadvantage up until the 90's.

OT: Control for all except more remembered.

Yeah I don't think they counted any other radio stations until 1998 when they allowed songs that weren't commercially available as singles to count. Billboard was always so late, like they started publishing the Soundscan top selling singles chart in December of 1990 but didn't implement it for the Hot100 until November of 1991 :rip: Thanks to that frauds like Promise Of A New Day reached #1 even though they had the correct data available.

Control is so great too, but it's True Blue for all for me. I love that album too much :jonny2:

Control is apparently bigger in the United States, meanwhile True Blue was #1 for 5 weeks and has THREE #1 singles.

:dies:

• 7 months later...
On 6/8/2022 at 4:37 AM, Chris said:

Control is apparently bigger in the United States, meanwhile True Blue was #1 for 5 weeks and has THREE #1 singles.

:dies:

:rip:

I love the fact TB was a massive worldwide #1 hit album and most of the singles either went to #1 or were top 5 in many countries.:clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.