• ATRL Moderator

I am here!

• ATRL Moderator

GyKrHo4.png

THEREFORE I AM

Average score: 6.93

High score: 10 (@Norte)

Low score: (@Ewan Chaos, @creativity.)

A rare fun moment on Happier Than Ever, its swaggering second single – which was actually released half a year before the album was even announced – is a biting dismissal of an unwanted hanger-on. In the René Descartes-quoting chorus, Billie Eilish reasserts control over her narrative, taking it back from those who have tried to write it for her. “Therefore I Am” quickly became one of her biggest hits, leaping to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in its second week, while ultimately topping pop radio and reaching #2 in rock and alternative airplay. Its playful music video, shot on an iPhone in two lengthy unbroken sequences, finds Billie causing havoc overnight in the Glendale Galleria mall before she is chased out by a security guard. 

Best bit: “Top of the world, but your world isn't real/Your world's an ideal”

ATRL says...: “Always hated this,” @Ewan Chaos seethed. “Maybe because it takes me back to the 5 minutes a week I’d be in my car going to the grocery store in late 2020/early 2021 and this was all they played.” @creativity. shared that he “was driving my sister’s old car that doesn’t have aux capabilities when this song was big, meaning I had to listen to the radio, meaning this song got shoved all the way down my throat to my stomach. I despise it.” I sense a theme!

• ATRL Moderator

@madonnas, was "Therefore I Am" overplayed for you?

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, creativity. said:

Excellent, justice is served

It cracked the top 40, so I guess it's still technically a hit!

• ATRL Moderator

VWBV39F.png

MISS UNDERSTOOD

Average score: 6.95

High score: (@Invisibility)

Low score: 3.5 (@Quicksand)

No, it’s not a surprise Pink appearance. “Miss Understood” is the final track on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, which finds Little Simz reflecting on her strained relationship with her sister over a plinking piano instrumental. Though perfectly pleasant, it’s an odd choice for a closer of an album that is so focused on interrogating her relationship to fame and her place within the music industry.

Best bit: “No receipts, can't return the gift I was sent”

ATRL says...: “I ended up really liking this album but it definitely could have been trimmed down a bit,” @creativity. suggested.

• ATRL Moderator

Like how could you hate this?

• ATRL Moderator
9 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

GyKrHo4.png

THEREFORE I AM

Average score: 6.93

High score: 10 (@Norte)

Low score: (@Ewan Chaos, @creativity.)

A rare fun moment on Happier Than Ever, its swaggering second single – which was actually released half a year before the album was even announced – is a biting dismissal of an unwanted hanger-on. In the René Descartes-quoting chorus, Billie Eilish reasserts control over her narrative, taking it back from those who have tried to write it for her. “Therefore I Am” quickly became one of her biggest hits, leaping to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in its second week, while ultimately topping pop radio and reaching #2 in rock and alternative airplay. Its playful music video, shot on an iPhone in two lengthy unbroken sequences, finds Billie causing havoc overnight in the Glendale Galleria mall before she is chased out by a security guard. 

Best bit: “Top of the world, but your world isn't real/Your world's an ideal”

ATRL says...: “Always hated this,” @Ewan Chaos seethed. “Maybe because it takes me back to the 5 minutes a week I’d be in my car going to the grocery store in late 2020/early 2021 and this was all they played.” @creativity. shared that he “was driving my sister’s old car that doesn’t have aux capabilities when this song was big, meaning I had to listen to the radio, meaning this song got shoved all the way down my throat to my stomach. I despise it.” I sense a theme!

I meant THIS.

• ATRL Moderator

Another top ten single up next. And it's not even the last one for today!

the fact that TIA outlasted your power… and several other songs… it went from worse to worser 

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, wish said:

Therefore I Am deserved to be the first elimination from HTE. 

ZybCw6K.gif

Say more. Do the Eyelashes not like it?

• ATRL Moderator

o1WfsXv.png

OH MY GOD

High score: 10 (@creativity.)

Low score: (@BnPac)

What are those fluttering, squiggly noises that initiate this frisky second single from 30? For a brief moment, they portend one of the most magnificently curious songs in Adele’s oeuvre – before it settles into a more conventional Greg Kurstin production about stepping back into the dating pool after divorce and the anxiety of trying to find love again. After “Oh My God” debuted at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week of the album’s release, it quickly replaced “I Drink Wine” as the next single, ultimately becoming a solid pop and adult contemporary radio hit and reaching the top ten in 20 other countries. The black-and-white music video, helmed by “Rolling In the Deep” director Sam Brown,” features a cadre of dancers, references to past Adele clips and, of course, the queen of sitting in chairs sitting in a lot of chairs.

Best bit: “What is the likelihood of jumping/Out of my life and into your arms?”

ATRL says...: “They should have just made it an EDM song like it obviously sounds like it was intended to be,” @madonnas proposed. @Ewan Chaos called it “the Rebecca Ferguson-ification of Adele.” @BnPac could not understand how it was chosen as a single instead of “Can I Get It.” “It's bad, just bad,” she ranted. “It's not even guilty pleasure-level bad that is good. The pre-chorus doesn't work, the chorus is not punchy and the verses are weak. What's there to like?”

• ATRL Moderator

Everyone hating the actual hits... not cute!

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

VWBV39F.png

MISS UNDERSTOOD

High score: (@Invisibility)

Low score: 3.5 (@Quicksand)

No, it’s not a surprise Pink appearance. “Miss Understood” is the final track on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, which finds Little Simz reflecting on her strained relationship with her sister over a plinking piano instrumental. Though perfectly pleasant, it’s an odd choice for a closer of an album that is so focused on interrogating her relationship to fame and her place within the music industry.

Best bit: “No receipts, can't return the gift I was sent”

ATRL says...: “I ended up really liking this album but it definitely could have been trimmed down a bit,” @creativity. suggested.

This one is higher than Two Worlds Apart??? disappointed :!ohno:

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, supaspaz said:

@BnPac could not understand how it was chosen as a single instead of “Can I Get It.”

I do agree with this part. But I like "Oh My God"! Gave it a 9.5 myself.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Ace Reject said:

Everyone hating the actual hits... not cute!

I have never hosted a rate with such a bias against singles before.

• ATRL Moderator

TIA is kind of reductive but I like it.  

• ATRL Moderator

Up next, the first real song from Heaux Tales bites the dust. What will it be?

Just now, supaspaz said:

Say more. Do the Eyelashes not like it?

It was Billie's clear attempt at releasing a pop hit, easily the least inspired track and just felt like she was trying to recreate the commercial magic of Bad Guy. It lacks melody & would stick out like a sore thumb on HTE if it weren't for the NDA transition. And it's overplayed

We don't hate it, but it's like *THAT* song that gets side-eyed by fans of her more alternative work. It's her Boom Clap.

ZybCw6K.gif

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, wish said:

It was Billie's clear attempt at releasing a pop hit, easily the least inspired track and just felt like she was trying to recreate the commercial magic of Bad Guy. It lacks melody & would stick out like a sore thumb on HTE if it weren't for the NDA transition. And it's overplayed

We don't hate it, but it's like *THAT* song that gets side-eyed by fans of her more alternative work. It's her Boom Clap.

ZybCw6K.gif

Boom Clap >

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.