This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

Now I'm imagining that GIF is Beanie's friend comforting her after she read the Funny Girl reviews

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

14 hours ago, supaspaz said:

IcriyFJ.png

SIT

Average score: 6.10

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx, @Taemira)

Low score: (@Insanity)

Japanese Breakfast grapples with forbidden desires (and offers of oral sex) on this synthy cut from Jubilee which Michelle Zauner has described as reflecting a Heaven-and-Hell dynamic: dark, industrial verses break into an angelic chorus, with its keyboard line inspired by Tears For Fears.

Best bit: “Hear my name in your mouth and I'm done for”

ATRL says...: “Good stuff, but not memorable,” @madonnas said.

NOT THIS OUT ALREADY YALL TASTELESS

@madonnas im going to slap you silly for that comment. naughty naughty

4 hours ago, Lucas32 said:

Mostly okay with all of these eliminations. No surprise most of them are interludes so far. Heaux Tales fares better if rated as a whole and not track by track I guess.

Sad so many can't see the beauty of Halley's Comet though... one of her absolute best tracks, such a wonderful vocal performance. The way the outro sounds and functions reminds me so much of the outro in Lykke Li's I Know Places. Instant highlight for me on first listen and still to this day. At least @Quicksand came through with the taste and gave it a 10 as well, taste and talent 

The outro is a career HIGHLIGHT :jonny5:

• ATRL Moderator

• ATRL Moderator

Those of who have been calling for a 30 culling will be very happy today

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Sure

• ATRL Moderator

8Znl4kf.png

I DRINK WINE

Average score: 6.25

High score: 10 (@Fitzswiftie)

Low score: (@Ewan Chaos, @Invisibility)

Adele goes back to the ‘70s on this breezily therapeutic Greg Kurstin collaboration, with a piano-forward arrangement and syncopated delivery that recall Elton John in his prime. Wine in hand, she’s working through her ego and how it keeps getting in the way of her relationships. Originally conceived as a 15-minute opus and then cut back to six (including a spoken outro) at the label’s insistence, “I Drink Wine” was planned as 30’s second single, but the release was scrapped before the world ever got to witness the music video that Adele described as “the campiest thing you'll ever see.”

Best bit: the way Adele plays with the “love you, love you” on the second and third choruses

ATRL says...: @madonnas scoffed at the title. “So do I, bitch, you’re not special!” he wrote. @Ewan Chaos dismissed it as “overrated, sorry.”

The thought of I Drink Wine having an uber campy video, especially for Adele's standards of videos, is kinda funny to me. Deserved to flop in the rate sorry! Love the title at least.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Ewan Chaos said:

The thought of I Drink Wine having an uber campy video, especially for Adele's standards of videos, is kinda funny to me. Deserved to flop in the rate sorry! Love the title at least.

What do you hate so much about it?

• ATRL Moderator

A major single is out next!

• ATRL Moderator

a1t9Igj.png

EASY ON ME

Average score: 6.28

High score: 10 (@Taemira, @Norte, @Born to Run)

Low score: (@creativity.)

A question for future pop historians to debate: How did the 30 era go so wrong? This blockbuster lead single, which spent 10 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 and hit #1 in more than two dozen other countries, was certainly an auspicious start. A piano power ballad explaining to her young son why she broke up her marriage to find her own happiness again, the Greg Kurstin-produced “Easy On Me” gave fans exactly what they were looking for from Adele. (The music video was even directed once again by filmmaker Xavier Dolan.) But perhaps that was the root of the problems as well. The album – her most experimental and adventurous yet – is a bait-and-switch by comparison. As it descends the charts unexpectedly quickly, it’s fair to wonder whether all that audiences want from Adele at this point is another “Hello.”

Best bit: “But I can't bring myself to swim/When I am drowning in this silence”

ATRL says...: “Horrible lead single,” @madonnas fumed. @Ewan Chaos shared that, “funny enough, I think the chorus is the best part of the song.” @BnPac dragged it for being “easy, too easy. The melody is easy, the vocal delivery is easy, even you feel that the work to recreate exactly what people expect from her is easy and for that there's no reason to be easy on her.”

• ATRL Moderator

Shocking, but not surprising, how poorly "Easy On Me" did in this rate. And those three 10's all came in the last five ballots, so you can imagine how abysmal things might have been.

• ATRL Moderator

Easy on me was the worst pick for lead single and why I think there is so much hatred for it in general.  You know, I’m gonna hate on the HAC radio girls to some extent no matter what but it’s way more than just me.  25 is a way worse album BUT Hello was a perfect lead for her.  It was adele, it was sweeping and super dramatic.  Easy on Me is absolutely nothing.  

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, madonnas said:

Easy on me was the worst pick for lead single

Ironically, I think it was the most logical choice for the lead single while also being the worst representation of the album as a whole.

• ATRL Moderator

xJnG4Xp.png

TRAITOR

Average score: 6.33

High score: 10 (@Taemira, @Quicksand)

Low score: (@madonnas@Ewan Chaos)

How long should you wait after a breakup to start your next relationship? More than two weeks, according to Olivia Rodrigo on this fourth single from Sour, in which her ex’s fast rebound with the girl she always worried about becomes evidence that there really was something going on all along. A top ten debut on the Billboard Hot 100 the week of the album’s release, “Traitor” later rose back to the top twenty – and the top ten on pop radio – during its promotional push last fall, even as “Good 4 U” was still riding the chart.

Best bit: “Guess you didn't cheat, but you're still a traitor”

ATRL says...: “I was so confused,” @BnPac disclosed. “Sometimes it felt so much like a Taylor song – in the story telling, in the delivery, in the over-dramatics of little things and the melody – but at the same time, it felt a bit different.” @madonnas was much more concise. “This is garbage, mama,” he sneered.

• ATRL Moderator

Ooh, I'm mad at you all for this next one!

Definitely our most divisive song yet, in terms of number of 10's vs. number of 1's.

• ATRL Moderator

Genuinely shocked traitor is this low because I thought I was the only one who hated it :laugh:

• ATRL Moderator

NWvmwdr.png

CAN I GET IT

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Insanity, @Norte)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx, @Lucas32, @creativity.)

If the big knock on “Easy On Me” was that it hewed too closely to the standard Adele formula, ATRL wasn’t much kinder to her efforts to push into new territory on 30, such as this Shellback- and Max Martin-produced bop about desperately wanting a serious relationship instead of a casual fling. Evolving from strummy folk lament to thumping come-on to neo-George Michael intrigue to whistling floor filler and back again, “Can I Get It” takes so many delicious left turns in three-and-a-half minutes that it ends up right back where it started with the listener still trying to catch their breath. A shame that it finished at least 50 spots lower than it should have on this countdown. If you get it, you get it, if you don’t, you don’t. If you know, you know. And if you don’t know, like, I honestly feel bad for you.

Best bit: “When. Will. You. Ruuuuuunnnn with meeeee?/ Like I know you want to?”

ATRL says...: Some people didn’t get the vibe. “I also hate whistling in songs,” @creativity. wrote. @Ewan Chaos “was gonna give this a 1, because it’s a kii that she decided to do what was mainstream in 2012 in 2021 with the whistles and production…but I respect her trying something a little new.” But some people did! “OK, OK, hear me out,” @BnPac wrote. “Now this is guilty level 'bad' (not even) turns good and no one does it better than Max Martin. The song is fun, bubbly, not try-hard. It's easy done good. ‘Easy On Me’ wishes! I deduct one point for losing steam before the last chorus.” Even @madonnas couldn’t hate it. “I guess I’ll take what I can get at this point…” he sighed.

• ATRL Moderator

I get why people hated it because it’s super corny. Imagine this song (and OMG) with deep house, or hell, even tacky EDM from 2017 instrumentals.  They would be hits!! 

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

NWvmwdr.png

CAN I GET IT

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Insanity, @Norte)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx, @Lucas32, @creativity.)

If the big knock on “Easy On Me” was that it hewed too closely to the standard Adele formula, ATRL wasn’t much kinder to her efforts to push into new territory on 30, such as this Shellback- and Max Martin-produced bop about desperately wanting a serious relationship instead of a casual fling. Evolving from strummy folk lament to thumping come-on to neo-George Michael intrigue to whistling floor filler and back again, “Can I Get It” takes so many delicious left turns in three-and-a-half minutes that it ends up right back where it started with the listener still trying to catch their breath. A shame that it finished at least 50 spots lower than it should have on this countdown. If you get it, you get it, if you don’t, you don’t. If you know, you know. And if you don’t know, like, I honestly feel bad for you.

Best bit: “When. Will. You. Ruuuuuunnnn with meeeee?/ Like I know you want to?”

ATRL says...: Some people didn’t get the vibe. “I also hate whistling in songs,” @creativity. wrote. @Ewan Chaos “was gonna give this a 1, because it’s a kii that she decided to do what was mainstream in 2012 in 2021 with the whistles and production…but I respect her trying something a little new.” But some people did! “OK, OK, hear me out,” @BnPac wrote. “Now this is guilty level 'bad' (not even) turns good and no one does it better than Max Martin. The song is fun, bubbly, not try-hard. It's easy done good. ‘Easy On Me’ wishes! I deduct one point for losing steam before the last chorus.” Even @madonnas couldn’t hate it. “I guess I’ll take what I can get at this point…” he sighed.

Boring song, I'm surprised that it got 6.33

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, madonnas said:

I get why people hated it because it’s super corny. Imagine this song (and OMG) with deep house, or hell, even tacky EDM from 2017 instrumentals.  They would be hits!! 

"Can I Get It" is a hit!

#1 in my heart.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Saddy said:

Boring song, I'm surprised that it got 6.33

crying-boy.gif

• ATRL Moderator

And now a brief interlude from dragging Adele. But she'll be back!

• ATRL Moderator

On the next page

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.