This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

JclNs3Y.png

POSING FOR CARS

Average score: 6.85

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Lucas32, @Invisibility, @Taemira)

Low score: (@Insanity, @Norte)

If Jubilee is a record about exploring joy after a period of grief, then it’s not clear by album’s end that Japanese Breakfast has found it. On this slowly unraveling masterpiece that serves as its closer, Michelle Zauner is caught between the deeply-rooted love and profound sense of isolation that can simultaneously exist in a long-term relationship. She tries to bridge that divide – and when words fail her, she turns to her guitar to express everything that she cannot otherwise communicate to her partner, shredding her way through a mournful four-minute solo that provides catharsis, if not resolution.

Best bit: that guitar solo is might be Jubilee’s definitive artistic statement

ATRL says...: “Talk about listening without hearing. “Goes on for a little too long,” @madonnas criticized. @creativity. complained that “this album just doesn’t need an extended instrumental ending.”

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Reverie said:

I'm really good at avoiding songs if I want to

orwm8t7.thumb.jpg.ec1314eeb9ef4fb406104e

I mean, I'm still not sure if I've ever heard the singles from the last Bieber album. But there wasn't a whole SNL sketch devoted to those!

2 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

I mean, I'm still not sure if I've ever heard the singles from the last Bieber album. But there wasn't a whole SNL sketch devoted to those!

Oh I mean I mostly avoid SNL too

And same @ the Bieber songs, like there was that one that everyone was saying is actually good, maybe it was Peaches? But there was one that was very religious unless I made that up? And I think it's from the same album as the MLK Interlude? Yeah 

your power not even top FORTY???

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Reverie said:

Oh I mean I mostly avoid SNL too

And same @ the Bieber songs, like there was that one that everyone was saying is actually good, maybe it was Peaches? But there was one that was very religious unless I made that up? And I think it's from the same album as the MLK Interlude? Yeah 

Oh yeah, "Holy." I did hear the karaoke version of that they did on Love, Victor...but it did not make me want to search out the original.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

your power not even top FORTY???

It's a travesty!

My 10's are dropping like flies. I gave a 10 to four out of the last six eliminated tracks. But at least I won't see another until the top thirty.

• ATRL Moderator

DIpNu7X.png

IN HELL

Average score: 6.88

High score: 9.5 (@madonnas)

Low score: (@Insanity)

Originally written as a bonus track for Japanese Breakfast’s second album, Soft Sounds For Another Planet, Michelle Zauner revived the “saddest song I have ever written” for Jubilee because she felt that it deserved more. The verses contrast the slow decline of her comatose mother with the traumatic, but arguably more humane, experience of putting down her dog with two shots. (This makes “In Hell” something of a companion piece to “In Heaven” from Japanese Breakfast’s debut album, Psychopomp, where that same dog paces confused outside her dead mother’s room.) The surprisingly sweet chorus links these memories: “Hell is finding someone to love/And I can't see you again.”

Best bit: “I snowed you in with hydrocodone/Layer by layer 'til you disappear”

ATRL says...: “XXXTentacion theme song <3” @madonnas joked.

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, McNulty said:

welp, the 2 songs I really liked from Jubilee are already out. :toofunny2:

To quote the philosopher J. Timberlake: What goes around...comes around.

• ATRL Moderator

mj3vmlk.png

GETTING OLDER

Average score: 6.88

High score: 10 (@Lucas32, @Taemira, @Reverie)

Low score: (@Insanity, @MP2K)

Happier Than Ever’s understated opening track sets the stage for the overarching theme of Billie Eilish’s sophomore album: how “Getting Older” and becoming famous has changed her life. Over a delicate synth loop and keyboard melody, she previews many of the topics that she will explore further on subsequent songs, including stalkers and other unwanted attention that comes with celebrity, how success has changed her relationship to music, unpacking the traumas of her youth and trying to find peace of mind. “Was too afraid to tell ya, but now, I think it's time,” she concludes.

Best bit: “But it's different when a stranger's always waitin' at your door/Which is ironic, 'cause the strangers seem to want me more/Than anyone before/Too bad they're usually deranged”

ATRL says...: @Ewan Chaos thought it was a “perfect opener for her, especially that chorus.” @madonnas called it a “cute opener.”

• ATRL Moderator

Like if you agree that's a "cute opener." Retweet if you agree that's a "perfect opener."

• ATRL Moderator

"Getting Older" is good! It doesn't deserve to be completely ignored like this.

• ATRL Moderator

KCXjQTZ.png

TWO WORLDS APART

Average score: 6.89

High score: (@Saddy, @Invisibility, @Reverie)

Low score: (@Born to Run)

Little Simz settles into her groove on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert with this Smokey Robinson-sampling braggadocio rap (on the globe-trotting first verse) cum diss track to an ex (on the thoroughly-over-it second). A chopped and screwed “The Agony and the Ecstasy” operates in a call-and-response with Simbi, emphasizing that she and the subjects the song is directed at are “Two Worlds Apart.”

Best bit: “I got higher standards, don't waste time trying to pursue me/You would trade intellect for an artificial booty”

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, McNulty said:

Getting Older and Your Power are out but not I Didn't Change My Number.... :biblio:

Let's talk about it! Inexplicable to me. That was one of my lowest scores on the album.

• ATRL Moderator

Forgot to mention that "Two Worlds Apart" is the exact halfway point of the countdown. How appropos!

3 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Let's talk about it! Inexplicable to me. That was one of my lowest scores on the album.

Everytime I listen to that dog at the beginning, I immediately skip it :ace:

• ATRL Moderator

dh4MTZC.png

TO BE LOVED

Average score: 6.90

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx, @Eric., @Taemira)

Low score: (@madonnas@Born to Run)

On 30’s longest and most emotionally grueling track, Adele once again tries to explain to her son why she needed to divorce his father. “To Be Loved,” co-written and produced by Tobias Jesso Jr. and Shawn Everett, is spare – just some occasional piano chords and a gutted Adele, front and center, exorcising her demons before our very ears, her voice sporadically breaking. It’s a remarkable performance, and so raw for Adele that she had said she cannot listen to the song and will likely never play it live. In fact, she has reportedly only ever sung it all the way through three times, including a rendition from her sofa, casually captured on her laptop, that nearly broke the internet.

Best bit: “Let it be known, let it be known that I tried” – such a simple sentiment and utterly devastating

ATRL says...: “Imagine this sung by a belter!” @Ace Reject subtly jabbed. @madonnas called it “more ‘Easy On Me’ bullshit.” But @Ewan Chaos was moved beyond words, sharing, “Girl crying about Minions.jpeg”

Girl crying about minions :deadbanana:

I though Your Power was loved :squirrel:, Getting Older is imo not a good opener so good position for it and Posing for Cars got a really high position tho :ducky: 

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, McNulty said:

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.331234a8f0

Adele ate! Her 19 era body was back!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.