supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

YgvJIJ1.png

GIRL LIKE ME

ft. H.E.R.

Average score: 6.99

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx)

Low score: (@Born to Run)

As Heaux Tales draws to a close, Jazmine Sullivan has been broken to the core by trifling men and the games of modern romance. On this morose acoustic guitar ballad, produced by Bongo ByTheWay, she and H.E.R. contemplate how to compete with the gold diggers and strippers wearing Fashion Nova dresses, whose sensuous charms have stolen away their boyfriends. The bridge briefly sets their rage free, as they wonder why their loyalty and affection was not enough, but they ultimately accept that the only way to beat ‘em is to join ‘em. The ho transformation is complete. Released as the album’s third single, “Girl Like Me” spent a single week on the Billboard Hot 100 at #97, but reached the top ten on R&B radio.

Best bit: “And I ain't wanna be/But you gon' make a ho out of me”

ATRL says...: @Ace Reject felt that the features bring the album down, “especially H.E.R. doing her sleepwalking bit as per usual.”

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

@Ace Reject, you are really not going to be happy about the next elimination!

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

@Ace Reject, you are really not going to be happy about the next elimination!

Bodies on bodies on bodies.... these kids wouldn't get it.

• ATRL Moderator

hKraTQF.png

MY FUTURE

Average score: 7.03

High score: 10 (@Ace Reject, @Taemira, @Born to Run)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx)

The first single off Happier Than Ever, released a full year before the album, turns the page to a new era in Billie Eilish’s career – and a new chapter in her life. Written in quarantine at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, this ambient midtempo groove is about shedding the lingering baggage of a past relationship, embracing herself and finding comfort in solitude. Even the sound is a reset; halfway through the track, the jazzy gloom gives way to Billie at the most relaxed she’s ever been, like the sun emerging at the end of a storm. Backed by a Studio Ghibli-esque animated music video, “My Future” reached #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and became her first #1 hit on the rock and alternative chart, while also scoring Billie an invite to perform at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.

Best bit: “Know I'm supposed to be unhappy/Without someone/But aren't I someone?”

• ATRL Moderator

Oh bullshit. 

• ATRL Moderator
8 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

she and H.E.R.

Well, I thought this was amusing...

Skai.jpg?ssl=1

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

Oh bullshit. 

MAGA voters

• ATRL Moderator

CrTXkuH.png

TACTICS

Average score: 7.10

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx, @Taemira, @Quicksand)

Low score: (@Insanity, @Fitzswiftie, @MP2K)

On this waltzing elegy from Jubilee, Japanese Breakfast frontwoman Michelle Zauner grapples with her estrangement from her father, who moved to Thailand, got into scuba diving and proposed to a woman seven years younger than her after her mother died. “Tactics” is about learning to forgive him, even if she’s not ready to repair their relationship (“A love that has to/Move a great distance from you/Cross a sea, keep you from me”) – an experience involving intense Instagram stalking that she chronicled in an essay for Harper’s Bazaar.

Best bit: “And I guess without you, I would attach myself, too/Without much discretion of who”

• ATRL Moderator

I love the info! It didn't grab me!

• ATRL Moderator

I thought everyone was on vacation in Thailand with Michelle's father for a second

• ATRL Moderator

Now we'll take a tour through Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

• ATRL Moderator

QkMltWv.png

I SEE YOU

Average score: 7.13

High score: (@MP2K, @Fitzswiftie, @Ace Reject, @Eric., @Born to Run)

Low score: 5.5 (@Quicksand)

A tender tribute to real companionship sits at the heart of Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, right in the middle of the tracklist. Backed by Cleo Sol on the airy chorus, Little Simz celebrates a partner who saved her life, providing acceptance, humility, escape and support. “I See You” is about a mature love, built over time and deeply earned.

Best bit: “Know I like my time alone, but still don't wanna be lonely/Whisper in my ear and tell me you won't leave”

ATRL says...: “Yeah, I know we need a breather, but I’m an impatient bitch!” @madonnas huffed.

All the Billie songs can GO as long as "Happier Than Ever" is #1 :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, naval23 said:

All the Billie songs can GO as long as "Happier Than Ever" is #1 :clap3:

Is that really the only one you liked?

• ATRL Moderator

The way I can't recall any song from that album!

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

The way I can't recall any song from that album!

Simbi broke you, huh?

2 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Is that really the only one you liked?

yes the others are just okay - happier than ever still has replay value for me :jonnycat:

• ATRL Moderator

AzQy9Pj.png

SPEED

Average score: 7.16

High score: 10 (@madonnas, @BnPac)

Low score: (@Fitzswiftie)

Little Simz puts pedal to the metal without breaking a sweat, “Speed”-ing past her peers on this casually assured cut from Sometimes I Might Be Introvert which reminds us that her career is a marathon not a sprint. No matter what you may think now, Simbi is confident that she's going to win in the end.

Best bit: “I'm already a legend, you should humble your speech”

ATRL says...: “Feels like it belongs in a (good) action movie,” @madonnas suggested. “Not like Venom!”

Pretty okay with this reveal so far... thank God TIA is out, though it having that transition from NDA to it made me like it a LITTLE more... but that chorus is just so annoying. Happy that HER feat is Jazmine's first song in ages.

omg Speed was sooooo good. Hmm I guess we're pretty high at 33 and that's a good average... but I'd have preferred other songs to have left before it I think!

• ATRL Moderator

And one last Little Simz track for good measure!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.