Normani explains why she hasn’t released her album yet

Nefertiti0

Just now, xxxlamb said:

i feel like the label maybe stopped supporting her but she is guaranteed an album so shes just gonna perfect it cuz she knows it wont sell and be pushed properly so at least she'll have the acclaim when she flops 

I can confirm, Normani has the full support of many departments at RCA as she's only had success with them. The hold up has been her, unfortunately. She's on her own time and they are allowing it. The tone around her is going to change with Candy Paint because it's a undeniable Urban smash.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WheresJay

• magazine

• yonsé

• bocelli

Someone tell her the point of "artist development" is to hone your craft and experiment with your art as you grow, not to gatekeep all material until you're "ready" or already developed. Beyoncé didn't debut with 4 or self titled or Lemonade, Rihanna didn't debut with Anti, and if either waited until then, none of their careers would've happened.

Her kind of mentality serves release debut album or have it leaked several years after intended, and then never release again.

i guess it’s in her best interest to become a critic darling seeing as the success she wants will never happen for her.. not even trying to drag but she’s just waited too long, it’s crucial to be constantly releasing in the streaming era. the only way i see her making it now is if she just drops the album and hopefully one of the tracks picks up steam on tiktok.

At this point my excitement for the album has waned. 

She has taken way to long at this point to release it and the hype has gone, I get it if she's a perfectionist but there needs to be a line drawn.

It's ridiculous now.

19 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

You just be bumping them gums. Normani has sold over 10 mil units as a solo artist. Both Motivation and Wild Side are platinum. I know you aren't going to hold her to Fair's performance forever.... A song with no video or promotion and performed similarly to songs released by her peers around the same time that actually had videos (Giveon's Lie Again, Chloe's Treat Me, etc). Everyone shows up to bash this girl but where were you when Wild Side dominated Urban radio for months? Normani, even through her own bs, has been very successful and has not flopped and people do show up and purchase/stream her music. 

Wild Side just dropped out the Apple Music charts by the specific genre:gaycat6:

I'm not reading all that

I'm happy for you or sorry that happened 

52 minutes ago, bocelli said:

Camila has like three hit albums

DBSaqca.gif

DBSaqca.gif

53 minutes ago, bocelli said:

The way Camila has like three hit albums already

LOL pls...i would say maybe ONE of those albums is a "hit"

i don't care that she needed to take more time cause she hated motivation or whatever...she needed to drop an EP when she finally had enough songs to show. instead, we've gotten one single every 8-10 months and that has started to hurt her.

still excited for the album nonetheless

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Wild Side just dropped out the Apple Music charts by the specific genre:gaycat6:

Which is fine. It did everything it needed to do for her career. Charted for 20 weeks and is platinum. As a Tevin Campbell fan, I'd expect you to know charts don't equal success. 

3 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Someone tell her the point of "artist development" is to hone your craft and experiment with your art as you grow, not to gatekeep all material until you're "ready" or already developed. Beyoncé didn't debut with 4 or self titled or Lemonade, Rihanna didn't debut with Anti, and if either waited until then, none of their careers would've happened.

Her kind of mentality serves release debut album or have it leaked several years after intended, and then never release again.

that doesn't make any sense

beyonce and rihanna had huge debut hits, of course they had full support for they cute lil debut albums

Normani's label is obviously extremely careful about her situation (maybe too careful). This is the pop world in 2022. As soon as you release an album and it flops into oblivion, you're over. The internet knows about it. Look at how Camila is constantly joked on the internet. Look how many woman just get completely ignored by the casuals.

This is how the industry works. And obviously she won't admit to flopping on an interview. Like, why would she?? She'll work around it and make up some excuses, like anyone would in her position. We should know better and not blame her for that.

Of course, at some point, if she takes too long releasing her album, she will also flop. Yes. Trying to find a balance between that is what her team wants.

They don't want a flop album right now, but they also won't wait until she's no longer marketable (which might be happening already).

It's a very difficult business indeed.

DBSaqca.gif

2 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

Which is fine. It did everything it needed to do for her career. Charted for 20 weeks and is platinum. As a Tevin Campbell fan, I'd expect you to know charts don't equal success. 

?

Tevin nad top ten hits:rip: I dont see the connection lol

Her lead single is already out in streaming before the year mark, that's not good.

I know this was released today but unsure when this conversation actually took place as there’s still no news. Anyway I’m beyond bored with her now I’m actually not even caring about candy paint or this damn album

18 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

As a fan, I think Normani has a lot of interpersonal work to do and the development of this album has gotten tangled in that. She needs to sit down and really unpack the last 10 years of her life because something deep is taking place and isnt allowing her to believe and trust. I understand its ATRL and you all don't care about people's well-being, you just want Spotify numbers to talk about but I think she should be given grace because obviously, the girl isn't always feeling great and no one knows the real root of that. Some people can push through it and some people can become paralyzed by it. I know I've had my moments.

No. This isn't about numbers, it's about her letting fear of flopping and criticism prevent her from being confident in her music resulting in her not releasing any. 

She's had a whopping 3 songs. Which is just utterly ridiculous. The issue is she will not continue to get budget from her label if she doesn't make money. What people want from her is consistent music so she can build an audience and not get dropped. Because there won't be any coming back from that for her.

1 hour ago, bocelli said:

The way Camila has like three hit albums 

DBSaqca.gif

whens she gonna release them 

DBSaqca.gif

3 minutes ago, Armani? said:

?

Tevin nad top ten hits:rip: I dont see the connection lol

Her lead single is already out in streaming before the year mark, that's not good.

I love Tevin to death and think he is one of the finest male vocalists we've ever witnessed but his career didnt even last as long as this wait for Normani's album so to challenge her about longevity feels a bit bogus unfair. For it's genre during this time, it did very very well and dominated Urban radio callouts for 6 months. There also just hasn't been much follow up, which is the biggest issue here, not Wild Side's quality or success. 

38 minutes ago, Nicholai said:

I'm sad for her. The industry really set her up. She was hyped as the new Beyoncé but she is not.

Yeah she was probably the best in 5H because of her performance skills since her voice is pretty average. This sounds bad but she also stand out because she was the black girl of the band and the most beautiful of them. 

She was the best but to stand out is easy when you are compared to...Dinah Jane??? Ally Brooke (she has bops tho)??? Lauren??? Just weak artists. Being the best among the other girls is not that big of a deal. 

She seems nice (just a bit arrogant) and Motivation was one of my favorite songs that year but yeah...there is not a real reason to delay the album other than the fear to fail. 

I don't think she stood out that much while in 5H lmao, Normani is a weak artist too 

She’s literally her own worst enemy and her perfectionism will be her downfall. I’m still excited for the album but at this point I’m starting to get tired 

3 minutes ago, Gaia said:

No. This isn't about numbers, it's about her letting fear of flopping and criticism prevent her from being confident in her music resulting in her not releasing any. 

She's had a whopping 3 songs. Which is just utterly ridiculous. The issue is she will not continue to get budget from her label if she doesn't make money. What people want from her is consistent music so she can build an audience and not get dropped. Because there won't be any coming back from that for her.

Normani has support and budget, don't worry about that. Her next single's (Candy Paint and DUI) are already with DSP's and her album pre-order with a cover shot by Dave LaChapelle is coming sooner than you think. RCA believes in her and are on her side. 

That mentality is horrible in the long run. She’s gonna have like 2 albums in her entire career at that rate. In my opinion, a musician who doesn’t release music isn’t a musician. She is a model who also sings. Same with Chloe.

Artists like Beyoncé worked their asses off and never said “Imma take 3 years off at the beginning of my career to craft my sound so I get an 100 on metacritic”. She wouldn’t have had a career. Your music grows with you and that’s what really creates a loyal, core fan base. These girls will never have longevity as artists.

She’s gonna be the new sky f 

4 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

Normani has support and budget, don't worry about that. Her next single's (Candy Paint and DUI) are already with DSP's and her album pre-order with a cover shot by Dave LaChapelle is coming sooner than you think. RCA believes in her and are on her side. 

Not they arguing with somebody who is actually in the mix. :deadbanana2:

Edited by AFullMoonlight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.