Were you taught about homosexuality at school?

85 posts in this topic

Did the topic of homosexuality ever come up in any of your classes? What was your teachers' attitutude about it? Were you taught about it in your sex ed or any other class?

I remember in high school, my biology teacher mentioned that gays have anal sex and in one of my literature classes my teacher suggested that Shelley and Keats (?) were having anal sex. :rip: Apart from this, the subject was never mentioned.

I would like to hear about you experiences.

*taught :gaycat3:

Nope

No i live in the deep south 

Never, and a lot of my teachers were homophobes who believed wholeheartedly that the Bible was word for word a code of conduct to live by yet they, like many other so called devout Christians, would only pick and choose certain aspects of the Bible which would accord to their own prejudiced interests

But it's whatever, some teachers were smart enough to be in touch with their spirituality and recognize the innate diversity of individuals

Yes actually. We're discussing about gays and adoption. I spaced out so I can't remember the details :eatpopcorn:

Nope. I went to a kinda conservative girls school.

i think the existence of homosexuality was mentioned during sex ed in middle school but definitely not how gay people have sex or anything in that manner

Not that I can recall. 

Nope, Tila Tequila and gay people on reality tv taught me more about homosexuality as a kid than I ever learned at school :skull:

I was taught in middle school that homosexuality was something Satan made when he tampered with sexuality in the Garden of Eden after God created the latter and saw it as beautiful. Satan tampered with sexuality because God thought sexuality was so beautiful and Satan wanted to mess with God's creation, so he made homosexuality out of his tampering.

That's what I was taught. Funnily enough, there is not a single ****ing Bible verses that even hints at this being true.

Only about Stonewall and although it is an important part of gay herstory and is vital for all to learn about, I feel like it's a cop-out for gay studies in a school's curriculum. There's so much to gay culture and health.

No, one of my teachers did defend me once even though I didn't know it at the time. I'm now friends with her on FB. 

Last year during the ethics portion of RE GCSE there was a section on relationships and my teacher's like really enthusiastically christian to the point that it's kinda creepy, so he had this really 'passive-aggressive' attitude towards homosexuality (eg he kept saying 'bits that fit' in an attempt to justify that God intended for man and woman to be together, so that was an awful experience. I did drag his ass once though when he asked me to read out my essay to the class and I gathered all the homophobes and the catholic church :fan:

no, only heterosexuality and how to have save sex :rip: there was a lesson about homosexuality, gender identity and stuff like that in my psychology textbook but we skipped that :biblio: stupid bitch

No, we didn't get taught specifically about straight people or whatever else has been made up either. We we're just taught about STDs. 

Nope. I had to teach myself after sex ed when they gave us a pamphlet of a man's anatomy

UbJNbhARTSngA.webp

We were asked in class if we thought it was normal or abnormal and the general consensus was that it was abnormal. :cm: 

ofc no. i thought it was just a phase.

nada. Kids at my school were also not the type to say "thats so gay" etc so I never really got to see my teachers reactions to that.

I work at a school now so I make sure to gather those kids who use homophobic language quickly and efficiently :gaycat4:

"This is how gays reproduce, oh wait, nevermind they can't.  They have anal sex and it can get messy and there's nothing other than pleasure when it comes to gays mating."

We didn't talk about it very frequently but one of our teachers was gay.
One time our class had to create an artistic piece somehow related to love for a contest, and we decided to do a painting.

That same teacher said the characters of the painting shouldn't be a male and a female because that's not the only kind of romantic love, so the two characters ended up being gender neutral. And we won the contest.

Yes, but they were making fun of a homosexual person they knew.

20 minutes ago, Azúcar said:

Last year during the ethics portion of RE GCSE there was a section on relationships and my teacher's like really enthusiastically christian to the point that it's kinda creepy, so he had this really 'passive-aggressive' attitude towards homosexuality (eg he kept saying 'bits that fit' in an attempt to justify that God intended for man and woman to be together, so that was an awful experience. I did drag his ass once though when he asked me to read out my essay to the class and I gathered all the homophobes and the catholic church :fan:

If people are going to preach against homosexuality, because of Religion, then they better not use condoms or birth control and have sex for pleasure, because that's going against God's "word."

Sex is designed to reproduce.  Nothing more.  ***On the subject of anatomy.