The Popjustice Twenty Quid Prize Rate Part 2 ('08-'12)

Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

By "hate" do you mean people are giving it a 10 instead of the 10.5 or 11 it deserves?

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ace Reject

• madonnas

• supaspaz

• prézli

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, madonnas said:

By "hate" do you mean people are giving it a 10 instead of the 10.5 or 11 it deserves?

Try giving it a ONE.

The cheek!

Alright, getting started/may be able to just hash this all out tonight!

There's a criminal absence of Pixie Lott in this rate :matty:

6 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

There's a criminal absence of Pixie Lott in this rate :matty:

Couldn't agree more. :clap3: She was replaced by Diana Vickers' badly aged trash. :shakeno:

Submitted! :sorry: Ace, but 2012 is what is bringing up the level of this rate!

Average: 5.8

• ATRL Moderator

14 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

The procrastinator in me is so happy!

:jonny:

2 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

The procrastinator in me is so happy!

:jonny:

Same. My rates are like 95% done, but I'm trying to decide if I want to scale scores down for more mess despite liking pretty much everything :mandown:

5 hours ago, Ace Reject said:

Alright, I may do this but wanna listen to Drizzy’s new album FIRST!

ahhh i’ll get on this this weekend!

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

giphy.gif

You discovered Taking Over The Dancefloor and are awestruck?

Or are you hearing how bad 2012 was for British pop?

The TANKING of quality in 2011 my lord. But every year had at least a (very small for one year) handful of great songs.

Just deciding how to spread out my 10.25, 10.5, 10.75, and 11 and I'll send in a bit!

Listened to all of 2008 last night and DAMN.  Even the okay ones are pretty solid!

That Daggers song was just :flame: 

• ATRL Moderator
On 6/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, andresg770 said:

Listened to all of 2008 last night and DAMN.  Even the okay ones are pretty solid!

That Daggers song was just :flame: 

The RIGHT take!

Almost done.

Why did I think In for the Kill and The Fear were much slower than I had thought when they came out. I feel like In for the kill had a darker live performance or something that I vividly remember.

Let's get into Yasmin sampling melodies from both Jamiroquai and Lil Mo'. How iconic is THAT? :lakitu:

I agree Pixie songs aged better than some of this crap. How do you snub Mama Do or Boys and Girls :toofunny3:  
Also All Night Long or Start Without You would be much better choices for Alexandra Burke

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, MP2K said:

Why did I think In for the Kill and The Fear were much slower than I had thought when they came out. I feel like In for the kill had a darker live performance or something that I vividly remember.

I had the same thought about “In For the Kill”! There must be some slower remix that got popular, because they used it on “So You Think You Can Dance,” which is my main memory of the song.

Just got through 2009 and 2010. As someone who didn't check out Popjustice back then (I was in college and barely had enough time for ATRL), should I be surprised by the lack of VV Brown and Dan Black from these shortlists??  I feel like they'd both fit rather naturally.

Also, I like Groove Armada and will bop to "Superstylin'" any day, but I can't help but feel like their 2010 inclusion was just as a token veteran electronica act.  But even for those purposes, all the singles from Basement Jaxx's Scars were RIGHT THERE... :coffee2: 

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, andresg770 said:

Also, I like Groove Armada and will bop to "Superstylin'" any day, but I can't help but feel like their 2010 inclusion was just as a token veteran electronica act.

"I Won't Kneel" is a serve! It's probably getting one of my 10+ scores.

4 hours ago, andresg770 said:

But even for those purposes, all the singles from Basement Jaxx's Scars were RIGHT THERE... :coffee2: 

Oh wow another Basement Jaxx stan SPEAK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Turn (actually all 3) are some of their best work ever.

But I Won't Kneel is great! Not quite on the highs of Song 4 Mutya but a banger nonetheless :jamming:

1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

"I Won't Kneel" is a serve! It's probably getting one of my 10+ scores.

I don't know. I liked it, but it didn't do a lot for me the way some of their other tracks have.  But admittedly I'm also skeptical about awards and assume there's a mindset of "oh, I used to like so-and-so, let me nominate/vote for them" (serving me still putting Natalie Imbruglia in my personal countdown in the 2010s :eddie:).

P.S.: FYC for next March -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP9FYRpT8UVguy_Q2Ldib4xSCBz2Y1Bl_

27 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Oh wow another Basement Jaxx stan SPEAK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Turn (actually all 3) are some of their best work ever.

But I Won't Kneel is great! Not quite on the highs of Song 4 Mutya but a banger nonetheless :jamming:

Scars is one of those albums that, to me, defines my college years.  Not that I was super into EDM back then, but I'd listen to it all the time: studying, doing laundry, writing papers, taking the train to/from home during breaks.  Plus, nobody else in my friend circle listened to Basement Jaxx, so the album feels very personal.

But also, it's top-notch MUSIQUE! I still listen to "Raindrops" and the title track every month or two.  I'd do the same with "My Turn," but it makes me way too nostalgic :'( 

• ATRL Moderator
On 6/20/2022 at 9:51 AM, supaspaz said:

I had the same thought about “In For the Kill”! There must be some slower remix that got popular, because they used it on “So You Think You Can Dance,” which is my main memory of the song.

This is the super popular remix of IFTK, it's being used as a sample in a rap song smashing in the UK right now too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nONX7VqIko

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.