2017 Euro-LGBT Index is Out, Malta Wins Again! Norway 2nd

183 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, faux said:

Why is Italy so low?? I thought their society and laws are more progressive? 

Public opinion is progressive, but Parliament needs to catch up.

Italy has large gaps in anti-discrimination laws, no adoption rights and same-sex marriage is still a couple of years away.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, nathanspears said:

Sweden is only 60%?? I thought it would be one of the highest.

I think it's because of the recent rise in LGBT hate crimes and influx of anti-gay immigrants 

9 minutes ago, faux said:

Why is Italy so low?? I thought their society and laws are more progressive? 

It's the world hub of Catholicism...

SHOCKED at swedekistan :sherlock:

Reminder, this is about laws on the books. Not about gays being interviewed about how well they have it. The number of hate crimes does not factor here, only if they have a hate crime law in the first place.

Sweden is low because their anti-discrimination laws and hate crime laws only cover sexuality and not gender identity so once they fix it for the trans community they will shoot up the chart.

there's nothing to celebrate here.

not a single country with equal human rights in 2018. 

Thank god I was born in the UK tbh

one massive lol @ people who say homophobia is over

On 19-5-2017 at 8:04 PM, éclat said:

How is Netherlands not 100%? They were the first in the world to legalize gay marriage.

I take these stats with a grain of salt though. Imo The Netherlands is still the best country in the world for gay people despite an incident or two. Though I agree with some other posters here that the influx of muslim immigrants is potentially dangerous for gay people in the long run.

Czechia 29% and Slovakia 28%? :ahh: Gorl.....Czechia has registered partnerships for like 12 years now, meanwhile Slovakia literally banned gay marriage in the constitution law in 2014... There can't be just 1% difference

3 hours ago, Sexy Boy said:

Czechia 29% and Slovakia 28%? :ahh: Gorl.....Czechia has registered partnerships for like 12 years now, meanwhile Slovakia literally banned gay marriage in the constitution law in 2014... There can't be just 1% difference

:rip: I suppose what brought Czechia down is that Slovakia has LGBT hate crime laws and Cz doesn't.

8 hours ago, LuLuDrops said:

:rip: I suppose what brought Czechia down is that Slovakia has LGBT hate crime laws and Cz doesn't.

I seriously dont think we have any more LGBT laws than Czechia (if we have any)

Russia updated their gender change laws and simplified them to the level of most European countries so expect them to move up.

ugh Norway truly is the perfect country

wish I could live there 

Surprised Italy is so low. Is it really that bad there? Thinking of visiting...

I assumed Switzerland would be way higher, but apparently they don't have same sex marriage nor some protections yet. At least public support is overwhelmingly high.

Sinn Féin are now calling on the UK Parliament to legislate a law which allows Same sex marriage in Northern Ireland, don't think that will go well :dancehall:

1 hour ago, TurntUp said:

Surprised Italy is so low. Is it really that bad there? Thinking of visiting...

Public is in favor of more rights, it's Parliament that is dragging its feet.

1 hour ago, Steve Jobs said:

I assumed Switzerland would be way higher, but apparently they don't have same sex marriage nor some protections yet. At least public support is overwhelmingly high.

Yup. Polls say around 2/3 support it and growing. They should get it by at least 2019/20 if Govt discussions can be taken seriously.

why was this bumped :rip:

Conor McGinn, who is a Labour Party MP (He was born in Northern Ireland) is presenting the Equal Marriage Bill for Northern Ireland to Parliament on the 28th of March, I'm hopeful that it passes, we'll have to see what happens :dancehall:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/03/05/labours-conor-mcginn-its-time-for-equal-marriage-in-northern-ireland-if-theresa-may-wont-act-i-will/

On 3/5/2018 at 0:44 PM, Yndda said:

why was this bumped :rip:

The 2018 one is coming very very soon :eli:

Russia(!) brought a gender change reform this year that is line with most other European countries so they might reach double digits now :eli:

On 28/02/2018 at 5:49 PM, PoisonPill said:

I think it's because of the recent rise in LGBT hate crimes and influx of anti-gay immigrants 

Did you realize this index calculates government policies and laws and not public opinion or did you just want to take the opportunity to be racist?

Ukraine slaying, Mélovin and Jamala's impact :clap3: 

A Private Member's Bill for the legalisation of Marriage in Northern Ireland will be presented to the UK Parliament next Wednesday.

The ‘Marriage (Same Sex Couples) (Northern Ireland) Bill’, tabled by
Conor McGinn MP, is now on the House of Commons official order paper for next week.

A Love Equality delegation will be in Westminster on Tuesday and Wednesday to meet MPs & Peers to secure support for equal marriage legislation.

29473220_2102665476417766_98876965844575791_n.jpg?oh=2d6869acbfafbeed074df3e00a8cc633&oe=5B3165BA