Is Brandy comparable to her peers Xtina, Britney and Beyonce?

sxhunluv

16 MILLION? You serious?

OT: No. And I kinda agree that's she's local. No one knows her in Asia.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Both Sides Now

• Power love

• Jeremiah

• GoodGuyGoneGhetto

brandy (and monica,aaliyah) walked so britney + xtina could run. labels saw success from young black girls in the mid 90’s, and whitewashed it.

erm brandy, her imaging and persona as well as the way she was promoted during the mid 90s, is  the model for britney and christina’s debut and branding :rip:

so no, peers are monica and aaliyah

I don't know why you'd set her up like this...

let's say she is in fact Britney & Beyoncé's peer, her career and legacy look insignificant compared to the other two. :toofunny2:

3 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Her peers are also Mariah Carey and Celine Dion (Beyoncé if we’re including just Destiny’s Child) just as much as it’s also Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.

That’s like saying Pink, Alicia Keys and Avril Lavigne aren’t Rihanna’s peers even though they only debuted 3-5 years before her. 

:deadbanana4:

1. Mariah & Celine are NOT Brandy’s peers. That’s ridiculous! 

2. Avril & Kelly C are NOT Rihanna peers. Rihanna is peers with Gaga & Katy etc

3. Brandy was seen as a pop star she started the teen pop craze &  IS peers with Aaliyah, Mya, Monica, Britney & Christina. 

It’s just unfortunate that her career ended around the time Britney & Xtina blew up but if she continued success it wouldn’t be questioned. 

Christina, Beyoncé, and Britney are way more successful than Brandy, so they’re not peers at all in that aspect :rip:

They are not peers by time period either. Brandy feels more like a 90s artist, while Christina, Britney, and Beyoncé feel more like 00s artists, since their breakthroughs came at the end of the 90s in 1999.

Brandy’s prime occurred in the 90s and it’s why we think of other artists like Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Leann Rimes as artists of the 90s too even if they had some success in the early 00s. 

3 hours ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

16 MILLION? You serious?

OT: No. And I kinda agree that's she's local. No one knows her in Asia.

I don’t think that 16 million sales figure for Never Say Never is accurate lol

And that number is supposed to be pure sales too :deadbanana: They’ve been claiming that number since at least 2010 before SPS was a thing :deadbanana4:

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/dancing-stars-results-michael-bolton-chelsie-hightower-eliminated/story?id=11754049

It has sold about 4.6 million in the US, 400K in Canada, 300K in the UK, 200K in Japan and less in other markets, so even if you add a bit more to its total for shipments and sales in other countries, it’s still nowhere close to 16 million :rip:

3 hours ago, worldwide angel said:

erm brandy, her imaging and persona as well as the way she was promoted during the mid 90s, is  the model for britney and christina’s debut and branding :rip:

so no, peers are monica and aaliyah

What did Brandy have in common with them other than being a teenage female? :rip: Stop it

2 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

What did Brandy have in common with them other than being a teenage female? :rip: Stop it

besides them both being teenage girls from the south that were promoted as the innocent girl next door :rip:  its not that much of a reach if you watch how both of them debuted and were marketed

the deals that brandy got during her peak, the impact she had on children…jive saw that and cranked it up x 10 for britney. 

for additional context, i recommend this video, it helped me pinpoint the similarities between the two and might help you see where i’m coming from. i believe the comparisons start around the 22:00 mark, maybe earlier 

On 5/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, worldwide angel said:

besides them both being teenage girls from the south that were promoted as the innocent girl next door :rip:  its not that much of a reach if you watch how both of them debuted and were marketed

the deals that brandy got during her peak, the impact she had on children…jive saw that and cranked it up x 10 for britney. 

for additional context, i recommend this video, it helped me pinpoint the similarities between the two and might help you see where i’m coming from. i believe the comparisons start around the 22:00 mark, maybe earlier 

:rip:

Britney's whole shtick was Lolita, she made pop music and heavily centered on dancing. Brandy did R&B and was branded as a vocalist. If you want to diminish Britney's personal output in her work, at least bring Robyn who is a more plausible "mold".

23 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Britney's whole shtick was Lolita, she made pop music and heavily centered on dancing. Brandy did R&B and was branded as a vocalist. If you want to diminish Britney's personal output in her work, at least bring Robyn who is a more plausible "mold".

my point wasn’t to diminish britney but to show users how important brandy is to pop music despite being a pop star.

its not a drag to note that britney has multiple influences and that her team was inspired by the success of teen R&B acts, notably brandy. 

the same applies to new edition and nsync / backstreet boys 

they are not teens but similar points can be made with mariah / whitney and christina 

6 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

my point wasn’t to diminish britney but to show users how important brandy is to pop music despite being a pop star.

its not a drag to note that britney has multiple influences and that her team was inspired by the success of teen R&B acts, notably brandy. 

the same applies to new edition and nsync / backstreet boys 

they are not teens but similar points can be made with mariah / whitney and christina 

Teen stars have always been a thing. Not looking way too back in time, Tiffany and Debbie Gibson were just as "girl next door" as Brandy and Britney. Being young is not an influence, nor particular to Brandy.

No... They are not her peers and she isn't as big as they are, although her MUSICAL influence is comparable... I Mean... She Monica and Aaliyah laid the groundwork for Xtina and Britney to follow & be successful in

Brandy's Peers are Aaliyah, Toni, Monica, Usher, Faith Evans and the like. THAT is who she should be compared to & she is doing better than the majority of them 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, Both Sides Now said:

Brandy debuted in 1994. Her peers are Monica, Toni Braxton. Maybe Mary J Blige or Aaliyah. 

But to answer your question, her 2020 album moved 25.5k albums so she actually outlasted JLo and Christina who only moved 6k and 4k with their last outputs. 

Monica and Aaliyah were her main competition and peers.

I know you were trying to be shady and petty, but Liberation did 3x the numbers that B7 did. Y’all wanna twist stories and compare bananas to grapes to create fake narratives.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

Brandy was not branded as a vocalist in the 90's. :rip:

She was Branded as a triple threat pop/R&B girl next door star and her marketing and Brand deals were something that were not done with Robyn, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and whoever else. They had Brandy hosting Popular Award shows, Starring in Movies & hit TV Shows, She was the face of brands like DKNY, Covergirl, Candies etc, She even had a line of hit Barbie Dolls... All of which are things her teen peers took part in after she had done them prior :deadbanana2:

No one is taking away from Britney's hardwork or Brand but Brandy was clearly the guinea pig for how to successfully brand a teen star 

• Like 2

MadonnasBoyfriend

She should do a version of beautiful liar with britney and brandy but shot in 2003

12 minutes ago, PopNStuff said:

I know you were trying to be shady and petty, but Liberation did 3x the numbers that B7 did. Y’all wanna twist stories and compare bananas to grapes to create fake narratives.

Not her doing TWICE (not 3x) the numbers of B7 With Bundles & the backing of a major label. Love Again has more streams on Spotify than anything from Liberation despite being released later with no Promo and No Performances

Trust and Believe her ass would be RIGHT around that 25k if the situations were the same. just like in 2012 when they both did 65-75k :rip:  

3 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Brandy was not branded as a vocalist in the 90's. :rip:

She was Branded as a triple threat pop/R&B girl next door star and her marketing and Brand deals were something that were not done with Robyn, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and whoever else. They had Brandy hosting Popular Award shows, Starring in Movies & hit TV Shows, She was the face of brands like DKNY, Covergirl, Candies etc, She even had a line of hit Barbie Dolls... All of which are things her teen peers took part in after she had done them prior :deadbanana2:

No one is taking away from Britney's hardwork or Brand but Brandy was clearly the guinea pig for how to successfully brand a teen star 

The Spice Girls were on literally everything and at a global scale before any of those Brandy endorsements :michael:

I'm not trying to push Brandy or her impact/legacy down, it's just I think it's quite a stretch to call her the "mold" to Britney and such.

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I'm not trying to push Brandy or her impact/legacy down, it's just I think it's quite a stretch to call her the "mold" to Britney and such.

Teen pop stars weren’t seen as marketable for a long time. Yes i understand there were teen pop stars in the 70s, 80s but it wasn’t seen as profitable. 

In the early 90s there was a explosion of “black” teen pop stars. ( Again pop stars)  Aaliyah, Brandy, Usher, Monica & Mya who all debut before. Extremely successful! Endorsement, sales, baby dolls, hits etc.. rejuvenating the Market completely. 

Record labels saw this & towards the end of that decade suddenly there was a explosion of “white” teen pop stars because they felt they would be much more marketable & easier to sell to the masses. Britney, Christina, Jessica, Mandy etc

It wasn’t a coincidence this happened. Britney being the first nobody could have predicted how huge she was going to be but ultimately it was the names mention above that truly kicked start the teen pop craze a decade before.

And they receive no credit for it which is unfortunate. Because the saying is true. Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, Usher walked so Britney, Xtina, Jessica, Justin etc could run! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, brainmaniac said:

Christina, Beyoncé, and Britney are way more successful than Brandy, so they’re not peers at all in that aspect

That was not the case when they first step on the scene. It was shorty after they left her in the dust.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, brainmaniac said:

They are not peers by time period either. Brandy feels more like a 90s artist, while Christina, Britney, and Beyoncé feel more like 00s artists, since their breakthroughs came at the end of the 90s in 1999

Brandy was on her second album when Britney & Christina debut. Same as Aaliyah & Monica. 

Britney was on her 3rd album BEFORE Brandy released her 3rd album & Christina was on her second the same year. 

You see Brandy as a 90s artist because that’s where her commercial success ended. She only lasted 3 albums you should know a little about that sis. 

But In reality ppl see Britney & Xtina as late 90s artist as well. 

They were peers “originally” but she was left in the dust ultimately changing that. 

So not anymore.

Edited by Power love

5 hours ago, PopNStuff said:

Monica and Aaliyah were her main competition and peers.

Liberation had tour bundles though. B7 did not. I don’t know how many of Liberation’s 68k came from tour bundles, but I’m guessing at least half considering Christina sold 70k concert tickets in the US. 

Look at the streaming (Liberation did 6k; La Fuerza did 2k; B7 did 10k). There was more interest in Brandy which is unsurprising as R&B listeners tend to be more loyal than Pop listeners. 

• 1 year later...

Originally yes but that all change by 2002. Britney, Xtina and Bey were just on a another level where you couldn’t compare.

But yes there were peers at first. All that change with time.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, helikesitheymikey said:

brandy (and monica,aaliyah) walked so britney + xtina could run. labels saw success from young black girls in the mid 90’s, and whitewashed it.

They made a  very different kind of music. Britney made with some other pop bands swedish pop the mainstream pop genre in america for the next 15 years, but if in your  universe Britney became famous with some kinda of music inspired by black culture good for you.

Edited by vale9001

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.