Was Taylor ever ‘cancelled’?

Weld_E

Was Taylor ever cancelled?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Was she?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, diogozsz said:

There were multiple viral tweets mocking her sexual assault situation. 

And how did that affected her career? Her sales remained intact, critics still liked her, her stadium tour was a success... every singer suffers from hate online.

When you look back at Madonna getting banned from TV channels and even countries, Mariah ending up on a hospital and fired from her label, Britney Spears almost dying... stupid viral tweets are basically nothing :deadbanana2:

Taylor only experienced backlash on a certain period of time but she was never *actually* cancelled.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taemin

• John Slayne

• Severus Snape

• Lady Claire

"Stupid viral tweets are basically nothing" yet ATRL abusing report button :lmao:

4 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

And how did that affected her career? Her sales remained intact, critics still liked her, her stadium tour was a success... every singer suffers from hate online.

When you look back at Madonna getting banned from TV channels and even countries, Mariah ending up on a hospital and fired from her label, Britney Spears almost dying... stupid viral tweets are basically nothing :deadbanana2:

Taylor only experienced backlash on a certain period of time but she was never *actually* cancelled.

I’m specifically talking about the one sentence I quoted from your post and this is about Taylor the last time I checked. Yeah, viral tweets mean nothing but when Twitter - the place where users pretend to be the wokest people ever - give 50k+ likes to a tweet saying something alone the lines “how was she grabbed when there’s nothing there to grab?” I guess something is indeed wrong. Some of you are choosing to have a selective memory.

Edited by diogozsz

2 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

I’m specifically talking about the one sentence I quoted from your post and this is about Taylor the last time I checked. Yeah, viral tweets mean nothing but when Twitter - the place where users pretend to be the wokest people ever - give 50k+ likes to a tweet saying something alone the lines “how was she grabbed when there’s nothing there to grab?” I guess something is indeed wrong. Some of you are choosing to have a selective memory.

I'm not saying it was right and some of you are lacking reading comprehension. I'm just saying that she indeed suffered from a hate train online but her career was not affected enough for her to be considered a "cancelled" artist, maybe we have different points of view of the same issue - for me a cancelled artist has their entire work affected by the backlash which it wasn't the case with her. She ended up successful and more than fine like she always was.

People tried to cancel her but she was too smart to disappeared during that time. And she was a marketing genious to come back with LWYMMD. 

But yes, she was cancelled. #TaylorSwiftIsOverParty and all that. 

51 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

Because her fanbase still supported her when that was not the case with the GP who turned on her. There was a reason behind Reputation being very frontloaded after first few weeks. 

There is a clear reason behind it struggling to chart in 2019 as an only 2 years old album but it is charting every other week in 2021 and 2022. 

Reputation was also her album with the lowest MC score in her career and she got 0 Grammy nomination that era, her only one. 

Her being on the verge of a breakdown by her own words is... another thing which is more than success btw. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade

1 minute ago, Lady Claire said:

I'm not saying it was right and some of you are lacking reading comprehension. I'm just saying that she indeed suffered from a hate train online but her career was not affected enough for her to be considered a "cancelled" artist, maybe we have different points of view of the same issue - for me a cancelled artist has their entire work affected by the backlash which it wasn't the case with her. She ended up successful and more than fine like she always was.

Once more, I’m talking specifically about that one sentence I quoted. Not about “cancel culture”.

1 minute ago, Lady Claire said:

Your view of being cancelled is just not realistic. Only sexual abusers get canceled to a point where it affects their careers in such a way you described. 

• ATRL Moderator

"Cancelled" is such an arbitrary term that there isn't a clear definition of.  She did get heavy public backlash though.

17 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

There were multiple viral tweets mocking her sexual assault situation. 

many pop girls went through worse tbh. and that's not me trying to downplay the seriousness of what you wrote, but it is the reality, almost all female pop stars get a lot of vitriol and taylor's case isn't really that much different or special

26 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

No, her sales were never affected nor her touring power. The hate received came from people who never liked her in first place but some of her stans on Twitter really think she was the first popstar to suffer from hate online :deadbanana:

pretty much this. it's mostly just her and her stans' victim complex. her career was basically unaffected, didn't she have her biggest tour right after being 'cancelled'? 

Just now, John Slayne said:

many pop girls went through worse tbh. and that's not me trying to downplay the seriousness of what you wrote, but it is the reality, almost all female pop stars get a lot of vitriol and taylor's case isn't really that much different or special

and how exactly is this comment a valuable contribution to this discussion? 

On the internet, yes.

In real life, they tried to. But they failed.

1 minute ago, John Slayne said:

and that's not me trying to downplay the seriousness of what you wrote

(…)

it's mostly just her and her stans' victim complex

you’re joking, right? gross.

Just now, diogozsz said:

and how exactly is this comment a valuable contribution to this discussion? 

how exactly was yours? mean tweets are not cancelling, so your comment was pointless to begin with. I assumed you were trying to imply that she was cancelled, otherwise there was no point in you writing that reply.

idk about you but when I hear the word 'cancel' I imagine something like what happened to Janet after Nipplegate, not some mean tweets or comments or whatever that Taylor had to endure

Just now, John Slayne said:

how exactly was yours? mean tweets are not cancelling, so your comment was pointless to begin with. I assumed you were trying to imply that she was cancelled, otherwise there was no point in you writing that reply.

idk about you but when I hear the word 'cancel' I imagine something like what happened to Janet after Nipplegate, not some mean tweets or comments or whatever that Taylor had to endure

mean tweets ≠ jokes about sexual assault. 

you’re joking, right? gross.

what is gross is that you conveniently deleted parts of my comment to fake outrage. please do not put words in my mouth ever again or i will have to report you because i will not have my name slandered like that.

my 2nd comment was clearly about her alleged 'cancellation', which never happened. just because they were viral tweets about her doesn't mean she was cancelled. 

• ATRL Moderator

No. Swifties grow up challenge

mean tweets ≠ jokes about sexual assault. 

jokes about sexual assault ≠ cancelling 

so... what now?

......:rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.