Queer as Folk (2022) | Season 1 | Out now

James_Dean

I think at this point, maybe I’m just pruded out by these types of shows. :skull:

I understand that there is absolutely an audience for this show and it’s not necessarily “for me”, but I think this sort of sex-heavy plot had more to say when the original debuted as opposed to current times. At the time I think it was necessary because the community was so unequivocally repressed and sanitized, but it just doesn’t ring nearly as effectively now.

I hate when current LGBT-centered media (not just this show) make sex and polyamory not just part of the community as a whole, but apart of each individual. Even overcoming the massive trauma characters in the show faced is based in the act of…f******. Even going to far as to make characters that aren’t as “sex-positive” seem like they are repressed or harboring some sort of internalized homophobia.

Also, I really didn’t like how they made an underage/age gap romance a central plot line.

And would it have killed them to include a bisexual man, especially when bisexual erasure (especially towards men) is so rampant in the queer community?

I feel like an a**hole for railing on a show that is so unapologetic...but it's not for me. I don't see myself represented in this show at all (AND THAT'S FINE) and I'll bow out.

All this to say, I’m glad this show exists for the people who need it/identify with it.

Edited by Lille

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dabunique

• James_Dean

• Pop Life

• Monster Megamind

The ending literally made ZERO sense and Brodie is one of the most insufferable characters of all time :deadbanana4: And in spite of that,  I really enjoyed this season and how updated and fresh it felt. 

That being said,  the sex scenes & the nudity :clap3: 

I really liked Juliette Lewis,  Kim Cattrall, Mingus, Noah, Julian, and for the most part,  Shar & Ruthie's arcs.

Spoiler

I loved how Julian and Noah eventually became a cute couple.  I didn't really ship Shar & Brenda together but seeing as Brodie and Ruthie are weirdly back together even though there  weren't many signs they were pining for each other,  even after that high school flashback. :deadbanana4:

I'm not that fond of Marvin's character but his relationship with Ali was cute. 

The fact that I was shipping Julian with Nyle DiMarco character until we learned Brodie paid him to sleep with Julian :deadbanana4:

The way Brodie was so pressed at Julian, Noah, and Daddius.

Brenda's coming out party was hilarious, I screamed :bibliahh:

Brodie is truly one of the most egotistical characters of all time and I'm truly hoping S2 truly explains that ending and actually tries to redeem him because :deadbanana4:

And Mingus truly ATE their performances in the finale :clap3:

Edited by Hector

I'm like 10 minutes into the first ep and went in giving it a chance... and it was like the script was written by SJW twitter, without exaggeration, every other line is a heavy-handed political point. :doc:

Edit: Other than the poor script, the actors are great, the direction & music are fantastic. 

Edited by FOCK

Did not care for the Pulse re-creation, but I did think the expression of trauma response that came from it was compassionate.

However, narratively and structurally, it was a mess. I really like Devin Way, would love to see him in more stuff and thought he made the character more likable than he was maybe supposed to, but the constant shifts in plotlines were very jarring and made the ensemble’s work much harder to believe.

Don’t see this getting renewed but I was entertained (and confused) watching it. 7/10.

I am 2 episodes in and I am liking it much more than I thought I would. Is the original worth watching? I am assuming it's much better, but just thought I'd ask

Way better than I thought :jonnycat:

I didn’t mind it tbh. Not amazing but not horrible. The acting and script was a biT cringe at times though. The first ep was probably one of the worst since it didn’t feel organic lol. 

It is also kinda Twitter personified but also wants to try keep the grittyness of the original which doesn’t always work lol. 

Noah is so ******* hot :jonny5:

And live for Kim, Juliette in the last scene was also amazing acting. 

As for the shooting reference, I think they did an okay job at addressing it. It’s so hard when things are currently happening which may turn people off but they are showing the reality of America unfortunately. I’m glad it was a season long struggle for the characters and not just over in a few episodes.

And finally the finale

Spoiler

Brodie and Ruthie was soooo ******* random and made no sense. Literally leading up to that scene I thought he was just going to confess he saw the cheating :rip: IDK why they have to make every relationship romantic lol. A very puzzling addition. 

This was kinda excellent :WAP: The way I expected the worst but it was such a pleasant surprise nn. I loved the way some characters were completely new, some were nods at the original, same with storylines. 

Not here for the ending wtf was that :toofunny3: 

Did anyone else GAG when you realized Shar was having sex with their children's grandma...? 

Mingus getting HIV was messy :rip: I don't think anyone in this show used condoms :skull: 

Seems like this show is tanking and nobody is watching but I hope there will be a 2nd season :biblionny:

queer as folk will always be Brian and Justin to me

this reboot pales in comparison

3 episodes in and it's fine. I'm not particularly captivated but any of the characters and the writing is pretty meh at times. I'm gonna keep watching but it's not giving what I hoped it would.

It just made me miss 'looking' and wish we had gotten more seasons of that. 

11 minutes ago, raven said:

It just made me miss 'looking' and wish we had gotten more seasons of that. 

I really loved that show. A shame it ended so quickly 

1 hour ago, James_Dean said:

I really loved that show. A shame it ended so quickly 

It's still one of the best depictions of modern day queer life imo and had pretty solid writing. I was hoping this reboot would offer something similar, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case so far. :noparty:

I watched this over the weekend. It was entertaining, but I don't think some of the creative choices really made much sense (especially near the end).

Hope we get a S2 so they can flesh out the good things.

WTF was that finale ending :deadbanana4:

I didn't like it honestly, I need to rewatch. 

this is making no noise, is it worth watching?

I'm 3 episodes in and Brodie is already getting on my last nerve :rip:  I dont know if I can deal with him for a whole season. The dialogue also feels really heavy-handed at times – like the writers don't trust the audience to be smart enough to pick up on the main themes unless they beat you over the head with them.

I also think the hypersexual angle was alot more bold and effective in the cultural climate of original but it's a pretty tired approach now. Them all responding to every trauma by f*cking is just-

Spoiler

The website I use to watch free shows doesn’t have this yet :biblio:

9 hours ago, Sergi91 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Right???? I have yet to find it lmao 

So it ended up getting better and I think the last two episodes were the strongest of the season. My issue is with how short it is cause as soon as it started developing into something interesting, it ended :rip: I really hate how short seasons are these days, it should've been like 12-14 episodes. I hope it gets renewed cause there's definitely potential for this show to fulfill the hopes I have for it. 

that ending was MESSY tho and kinda random 

:deadbanana4: I feel they didn't know how else to leave us with a major cliffhanger for the next season but I guess we'll see

Edited by raven

On 6/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, rzal said:

Hide contents

:rip: I don't think anyone in this show used condoms :skull: 

Spoiler

Girl no one was washing their handssss :deadbanana4:

I enjoyed it, and I found myself Shazamming like 90% of the songs :gaycat4:

On 6/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, Josh said:

queer as folk will always be Brian and Justin to me

this reboot pales in comparison

For me was on the other hand Michael, Emmett and Ted who made the show amazing.

Brian and Justin to me never felt relatable or real.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:15 AM, Sergi91 said:
  Hide contents

Telegram groups are your friend... also...

Hide contents

there is an amazing latinx web that shares 99% of the LGBT content and they even subtitle errthing

16 hours ago, zzmyth said:

For me was on the other hand Michael, Emmett and Ted who made the show amazing.

Brian and Justin to me never felt relatable or real.

So glad I'm not the only one. Their story verged on charicature at times and while the amazing Gale Harold made Brian tolerable, Justin was always an insufferable brat to me. But then again what 18 year-old isn't?

Michael, Ted and Emmett felt way more grounded by comparison. 

Edited by Pop Life

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.