Golden Hit: Season 1 📀 Congrats to 8thPrince and Jackson!! 🏆🏆

fountain

8 minutes ago, fountain said:

The OP is kinda wordy so idk if everybody will have read all of it, but since this is a non elimination game anybody can join or skip a round at any point. So, if you're particularly busy one week, it's fine to not submit and miss a round. Since we will average the scores for every round at the end of the game this will lower your average at the end unfortunately, but you can definitely still take part when you can and don't have to worry when you can't! :heart:

ah what the hell, sign me up!!  :swan:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Remmy

• Hanami-Blossom

Top Posters In This Topic

It is so cool to read through everyone's Q&A :whistle:

Just now, fountain said:

:laugh:

Happy to call people by whatever they prefer. Hanami Blossom would be an amazing real name though.

Fffff for a second there I glitched and was like omg wait what if people think this aesthetic username I registered with is actually how people call me in real life. It is pretty though :bird:

Apologies if I quoted you twice, I'm on mobile right now and I cannot fix it :skull:

30 minutes ago, Jackson said:

all of this is very me, i feel seen :foxaylove:

yessss our joint slay :hug:

20 minutes ago, fountain said:

Honestly, it's great that you are coming back. If I remember rightly, I believe I asked if you wanted to judge back in Diamond Hit, and you were definitely a formidable player in those PH seasons. I'd love if you could get back into writing with this game. :clap3:

A musical talent, the multiple instrument playing :clap3: while this is a game focused on lyrics, it's great seeing players who also play instruments too!

Love the artists you listed and the lyrics you highlighted, the taste!

I listened to your first two songs while reading through these, and I'll listen to the other two now, because I really enjoyed them! Both the lyrics, and your voice, I loved listening. Honestly, you remind me somewhat of @Jackson (who just quoted you as well, the coincidence :skull:) who also writes and sings folky music. And this is definitely intended as a compliment, because he has won a song writing game on here before :eddie:

Super interested to see what you submit! Thanks for sharing these and for signing up :heart2:

thank you! I feel like this is gonna be really fun :heart:

5 minutes ago, luckystrike said:

Yas, serve us a Heartsopper inspired bop :jonny5:

ezgif-1-b6fa934e0d.thumb.gif.d1eda5c31ad20769b0f9097d466b6b89.gif

1. Julia Fox 

2. Insanity

3. Hanami-Blossom

4. boubour

5. Remmy

6. Astro

7. Jackson

8. Achilles. 

9. Seiko Oomori

10. Speezy

11. Euterpe

12. GentleDance

13. ughgabriel

14. Obsession

15. Element

16. OreGuy

17. Overprotected

18. JoeAG

19. TruGemini

20. ☆lex

21. Augmented

22. luckystrike

3 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

It is so cool to read through everyone's Q&A :whistle:

Fffff for a second there I glitched and was like omg wait what if people think this aesthetic username I registered with is actually how people call me in real life. It is pretty though :bird:

Apologies if I quoted you twice, I'm on mobile right now and I cannot fix it :skull:

If the answers to the questionnaire are anything to go by it's going to be a great season. 

Hanami Blossom even kinda serves album title, tbh!

7 minutes ago, luckystrike said:

1. Julia Fox 

2. Insanity

3. Hanami-Blossom

4. boubour

5. Remmy

6. Astro

7. Jackson

8. Achilles. 

9. Seiko Oomori

10. Speezy

11. Euterpe

12. GentleDance

13. ughgabriel

14. Obsession

15. Element

16. OreGuy

17. Overprotected

18. JoeAG

19. TruGemini

20. ☆lex

21. Augmented

22. luckystrike

etc.

Welcome to the Golden Hit family! :party:

Had to head out for a while, but it's been wonderful reading all of your questionnaires and getting to know the players a little bit better before the season officially begins. So many exciting new faces, and some returning players from many moons ago too. This eclectic combination is exactly what we were hoping for!

I was so bad at this :deadbanana: not sure if i have the capacity to fail again

4 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

We'll never know unless you try :jonnycat: plus, there's no such thing as failing in Golden Hit anyway. Nobody's eliminated, nobody fails :clap3:

12 minutes ago, fountain said:

I've been wanting to write a song inspired by it sooooo bad these past few weeks, maybe I'll finally get the chance :jonny2: 

Edited by luckystrike

Just now, fountain said:

ezgif-1-b6fa934e0d.thumb.gif.d1eda5c31ad20769b0f9097d466b6b89.gif

1. Julia Fox 

2. Insanity

3. Hanami-Blossom

4. boubour

5. Remmy

6. Astro

7. Jackson

8. Achilles. 

9. Seiko Oomori

10. Speezy

11. Euterpe

12. GentleDance

13. ughgabriel

14. Obsession

15. Element

16. OreGuy

17. Overprotected

18. JoeAG

19. TruGemini

20. ☆lex

21. Augmented

22. luckystrike

If the answers to the questionnaire are anything to go by it's going to be a great season. 

Hanami Blossom even kinda serves album title, tbh!

Yes I can already feel the talent and creativity from everyone! This is gonna be fun :duca:

:kitty: Oop. Let me trademark that real quick :thing:

When I found out about the concept of Hanami it really moved me. The fact that it's a traditional Japanese custom for people to enjoy the transient beauty of flowers, specifically cherry blossoms (yes I got that from Wikipedia :fan:), is so beautiful and fascinating. It really inspired me. And the colour pink is just really pretty.

I figured if we get to learn about you all, it's only fair that you learn a thing or two about us hosts as well!

1. Tell us a little about yourself (preferred name, pronouns, etc.)

My name is Sam, however I prefer to be identified as Aurora online. He/him pronouns, 25 years young, and based in Australia. ??

2. What is your previous experience with song writing?

Throughout my schooling years I enjoyed creative writing (fictional story writing, poems, etc.) and was fascinated with late 2000s/early 2010s pop music, but had never bridged the two before until 2014, when I signed up for ATRL's Platinum Hit: Season 6. It was one of the most rewarding experiences and after placing 2nd, I knew I had found something I really enjoyed, and could only wish to spend the time and energy improving upon. Three years and just like that (:eli:), I had won Platinum Hit: Season 11, however I knew my writing journey was far from over. I've since written some of my favourite and most personal songs, learned a thing or two about music production and recording, and have plans to eventually build my own home music studio and finally bring these creations to life, in addition to working on new projects.

3. Who are your favourite song writers?

As silly as it may sound, I grew up on a diet of commercial pop and not a whole lot else, so my first foray into songwriting was... not the most lyrically impressive, to say the least. I'd say I've honestly learned a lot from the other songwriters of ATRL over the years. Kesha and Taylor Swift were early inspirations for me lyrically, but as I progressed I began to look inward and develop my own style and fingerprint... although some might say it was a thesaurus' doing. :fan:

4. List some examples of your favourite lyrics and the best written songs in your opinion.

Gosh, this is so hard. Why did you pick this question fountain? :matty: I'm a big believer that you can find amazing lyrics in any given genre, within their context. I'm a big fan of rap lyricism and the art of bar delivery, set ups for punchlines, switching up flow etc. which calls for completely different techniques and writing styles to a commercial pop song, or an alternative folk track. I think there's a lot to be said about Taylor Swift's writing styles and how she can switch it up to fit the mood and genre, be it a country, pop, or folk track, and you can always find plenty of examples of stellar one liners on her records.

5. What are some of your main sources of creative inspiration?

I love tasking myself with a challenge, and then adhering to it. Whether it's due to my beginnings within the Platinum Hit format or otherwise, I find having a prompt and a deadline a fantastic way to write. If I know, a) what I am trending toward, and b) when I need to complete it by, that combination of pathway and pressure really unlocks my creative side and helps me write in ways I'm often unable to.

6. Lastly, feel free you share some examples of your writing!

I am actually working on an archive of my past material submitted for Platinum Hit and Song of the Season tournaments! While it's not ready yet, you may be able to find some examples through the links in my signature, should you be so inclined to click them! While I know not all of these songs are my best work (especially the earlier ones!), I believe in the preservation of history, and looking back on the old just reminds me how far I have come, and how far I can still go. :duca:

39 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

Mess I just realised. My real name isn't Hanami-Blossom - it's just a username :skull: I don't want y'all thinking it's my real name that I use on my passport :dies:

I was hoping this was your real name cause it slays! Rooting for you :shy: 

1 minute ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

Yes I can already feel the talent and creativity from everyone! This is gonna be fun :duca:

:kitty: Oop. Let me trademark that real quick :thing:

When I found out about the concept of Hanami it really moved me. The fact that it's a traditional Japanese custom for people to enjoy the transient beauty of flowers, specifically cherry blossoms (yes I got that from Wikipedia :fan:), is so beautiful and fascinating. It really inspired me. And the colour pink is just really pretty.

Yes, the sign ups are super promising already!

I agree, from what I've just learned of Hanami (from what you've said and a quick google) it's a very beautiful tradition. I think it is something we could learn a lot from honestly, since I think natural beauty is so overlooked a lot of the time, especially trees. They are really some of the most stunning things on the planet and we are just walking around hardly paying them attention! 

With the colour pink, honestly being born a male it's hard not to fall into the societal standard that you shouldn't like it, I went through a lot of my life succumbing to that, but as an adult I really readdressed all of that internalisation and realised like you said, pink is super pretty. It's ended up becoming one of my favourite colours now tbh, not just from the way it looks but also in the personal joy of overcoming the rule that you shouldn't enjoy or wear pink. Though in general, I really love all the colours and favouriting them is so hard to do because they all have something special :jonny4:

16 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

honestly i remember your writing and it really wasn’t bad at all. and with no eliminations there’s more of a chance to improve and experiment without fear of being cut 

14 minutes ago, Jackson said:

honestly i remember your writing and it really wasn’t bad at all. and with no eliminations there’s more of a chance to improve and experiment without fear of being cut 

You remember my **** from like 7 years ago? I haven’t written anything since shortly after that either. I know I was too literal and conversational, but some of y’all are poets

17 minutes ago, ughgabriel said:

I was hoping this was your real name cause it slays! Rooting for you :shy: 

Right? It's such a good name, it was nervewracking to fill out the registration form while typing it in because I know ATRL is quick to close the entry gates :jonnycat: I broke my heel getting into this place! Dddd

Thank you :heart2:

17 minutes ago, fountain said:

Yes, the sign ups are super promising already!

I agree, from what I've just learned of Hanami (from what you've said and a quick google) it's a very beautiful tradition. I think it is something we could learn a lot from honestly, since I think natural beauty is so overlooked a lot of the time, especially trees. They are really some of the most stunning things on the planet and we are just walking around hardly paying them attention! 

With the colour pink, honestly being born a male it's hard not to fall into the societal standard that you shouldn't like it, I went through a lot of my life succumbing to that, but as an adult I really readdressed all of that internalisation and realised like you said, pink is super pretty. It's ended up becoming one of my favourite colours now tbh, not just from the way it looks but also in the personal joy of overcoming the rule that you shouldn't enjoy or wear pink. Though in general, I really love all the colours and favouriting them is so hard to do because they all have something special :jonny4:

Trees are highkey the LEGENDS of the plant family. Flowers die but trees have longevity. The way their roots are all connected in the ground of the Earth and when you chop a tree you can tell how old it is with its rings inside. Whew thankfully humans aren't built like that :jonny:

I'm so happy to hear that you feel comfortable with expressing how you truly feel about that. It's quite surreal when you take a step back and see all of the social conditioning. Pink is just another colour, just like all the others. It's sad that society has felt like only certain colours are allowed for certain groups of people. But I'm pleased that that is changing. Life is filled with a kaleidoscope of colours that everyone should be able to enjoy.

Edited by Hanami-Blossom

It's funny because my actual favourite colour is blue, not pink. :dies: I particularly love turquoise/teal but all shades of blue are stunning. :lakitu: Some are light and airy like the daytime skies, some are deep like the ocean.

24 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

Trees are highkey the LEGENDS of the plant family. Flowers die but trees have longevity. The way their roots are all connected in the ground of the Earth and when you chop a tree you can tell how old it is with its rings inside. Whew thankfully humans aren't built like that :jonny:

I'm so happy to hear that you feel comfortable with expressing how you truly feel about that. It's quite surreal when you take a step back and see all of the social conditioning. Pink is just another colour, just like all the others. It's sad that society has felt like only certain colours are allowed for certain groups of people. But I'm pleased that that is changing. Life is filled with a kaleidoscope of colours that everyone should be able to enjoy.

The fact that there are trees that have lived for thousands of years :jonnycat: who’s doing it like them?

You’ve said it perfectly. It was actually quite a liberating experience, it sounds like such a small thing in hindsight but disregarding societies expectations like that can be really nerve wracking no matter what it is! I suppose it’s a confidence thing too, I feel lucky to be in a place where I feel empowered enough in myself to be able to embrace things like that. Society itself has a long way to go but thankfully things are changing, even small subtle things like this :clap3:

21 minutes ago, Hanami-Blossom said:

It's funny because my actual favourite colour is blue, not pink. :dies: I particularly love turquoise/teal but all shades of blue are stunning. :lakitu: Some are light and airy like the daytime skies, some are deep like the ocean.

That’s exactly my dilemma, with so many shades there are beautiful versions of every colour so it’s hard not to appreciate them all! 

47 minutes ago, Aurora said:

I figured if we get to learn about you all, it's only fair that you learn a thing or two about us hosts as well!

My name is Sam, however I prefer to be identified as Aurora online. He/him pronouns, 25 years young, and based in Australia. ??

Throughout my schooling years I enjoyed creative writing (fictional story writing, poems, etc.) and was fascinated with late 2000s/early 2010s pop music, but had never bridged the two before until 2014, when I signed up for ATRL's Platinum Hit: Season 6. It was one of the most rewarding experiences and after placing 2nd, I knew I had found something I really enjoyed, and could only wish to spend the time and energy improving upon. Three years and just like that (:eli:), I had won Platinum Hit: Season 11, however I knew my writing journey was far from over. I've since written some of my favourite and most personal songs, learned a thing or two about music production and recording, and have plans to eventually build my own home music studio and finally bring these creations to life, in addition to working on new projects.

As silly as it may sound, I grew up on a diet of commercial pop and not a whole lot else, so my first foray into songwriting was... not the most lyrically impressive, to say the least. I'd say I've honestly learned a lot from the other songwriters of ATRL over the years. Kesha and Taylor Swift were early inspirations for me lyrically, but as I progressed I began to look inward and develop my own style and fingerprint... although some might say it was a thesaurus' doing. :fan:

4. List some examples of your favourite lyrics and the best written songs in your opinion.

Gosh, this is so hard. Why did you pick this question fountain? :matty: I'm a big believer that you can find amazing lyrics in any given genre, within their context. I'm a big fan of rap lyricism and the art of bar delivery, set ups for punchlines, switching up flow etc. which calls for completely different techniques and writing styles to a commercial pop song, or an alternative folk track. I think there's a lot to be said about Taylor Swift's writing styles and how she can switch it up to fit the mood and genre, be it a country, pop, or folk track, and you can always find plenty of examples of stellar one liners on her records.

I love tasking myself with a challenge, and then adhering to it. Whether it's due to my beginnings within the Platinum Hit format or otherwise, I find having a prompt and a deadline a fantastic way to write. If I know, a) what I am trending toward, and b) when I need to complete it by, that combination of pathway and pressure really unlocks my creative side and helps me write in ways I'm often unable to.

I am actually working on an archive of my past material submitted for Platinum Hit and Song of the Season tournaments! While it's not ready yet, you may be able to find some examples through the links in my signature, should you be so inclined to click them! While I know not all of these songs are my best work (especially the earlier ones!), I believe in the preservation of history, and looking back on the old just reminds me how far I have come, and how far I can still go. :duca:

I will answer tomorrow, too! But of course you answered very eloquently, couldn’t have asked for a better co-host :clap3:

————————————

Well good night for now, Golden Hitters! Thank you to everybody who signed up today and your participation introducing yourselves with the questionnaire, they were all great to read. It’s been amazing already and I can’t wait for the game to begin in a few days with our first challenge!

Here’s a little tease: tomorrow, we’ll be announcing the third member of our judging panel. :heart2:

- Everyone in here calls me lucky but you can refer to me as luckystrike too! I go by he/him but I'm not bothered by other pronouns! I'm 21 and I'm Mexican so English isn't my native language, but I feel comfy enough with it and I'm currently in uni studying audio engineering and musical production/theory. :gaycat4:

I started getting into it on my own just for fun a few years ago, I found it to be a very effective form of therapy/coping for me, then I eventually stumbled upon songwriting games in here, I've participated in 2/3? seasons of Song of the Season where I learned a lot about basic songwriting skills which I didn't have before, and now due to the nature of my career, songwriting is pretty much a big part of it!

- We're in a pop music forum so I'm obviously gonna say Taylor Swift is one of them :rip: but to mention other people in terms of songwriting; Lorde, Troye Sivan, MUNA, Billie Eilish, Clairo, Ryn Weaver, etc.

- I think a perfect example is my favorite album of all time, The Fool by Ryn Weaver. I think that album is just soooo well written and it has so many of my favorite one liners ever.  

- I used to find it VERY hard to write about non-personal things or stuff I hadn't gone through because I was so used to writing songs based on my life and things I go through but since I started college, I think I've learned how to find inspiration in other things and even write about made up scenarios just for the sake of it, lately I've been very into the idea of thinking about a very good and eye catching song title and just writing a whole song around it, no matter what it ends up being about, so I think it just depends on the type of inspiration I'm feeling

- This is a fragment of a song I wrote a while ago called "twilight" that I really like and want to eventually end up making into a real song!!

[verse 1]

what was it about us?

that always kept me so uncertain

that always kept me guessing

if we’d make it to the daylight

what was it about us?

that always kept me up from sleeping

that had me just daydreaming

that you held me through the twilight

[pre chorus]

is it the way we know each other?

the way i know you like no other?

we haven’t spoken since last summer

but you still know me like no other

[chorus]

and now i’m staring at the pink sky

as it becomes into a twilight

wonder if we will see the daylight

or we will fade into the night sky

let’s just not waste another moment

so hold me tightly through the twilight

until we welcome a new daylight

just like i dreamed about it last night

6 hours ago, fountain said:

I’m in.

Helloooo everyone. My name is Element and my pronouns are he/him. I am newly 26 (where are my fellow Taurus legends??). You might know me as a veteran Games section member who hosts both Let's Spoon and ATRL Survivor! I've played in quite a few tournaments over the years, and truly love this community. Day-to-day, I work in technology as a business analyst/project manager, which isn't boring! It has its stressful moments though. I got my degree in accounting which I resented hehe but I decided to stop going down that route before it was too late. I did minor in English as I enjoy writing! My #1 hobby is graphic design which I taught myself at the age of 13.

Tbh I haven't had much time to do lyrical writing in the last few years. I played Platinum Hit a few times back in college, and actually got 5th place in one of those which was unexpected but very cute. I love coming up with pop melodies and my phone has hundreds of voice memos with cute choruses that will never see the light of day. Some bops though, I can not lie.

I'm an Ellie Goulding stan through and through and love her work. Recently, I've become enamored with the whimsical philosophies of Kilo Kish. Her album American Gurl is a smashing electropop success that critiques consumerism and the digital age in a very fun, clever manner. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I find that it's whatever kind of pops into my head at the moment. As much as I love planning things out, the best inspiration for me is that which just suddenly appears. My recommendation is to always make sure you have something to write it down or record it!

Whew I had to go way back in my Google Doc archives for this one.

This was from the interlude challenge in PH back in 2015:

"Twilight"

At the border, on the edge

Near the cusp of something greater 

Than our mortal hands can savor

Watch the light, it's getting faded

See the stars slide into motion

Over this liminal ocean

Hold my hand, hold my hand

Let's dive into another world

Just jump off of the sand

Are you frightened? Don't be frightened.

Hold my hand, hold my hand

Hold my, hold my, hold my...

And this was from the "album title" challenge from that same season:

"Night Visions"

Verse

The midnight oil burns up again

As I sit silent with my pen

The thoughts become the words

That I have written

My father -- he don't understand

Why I can't be like other men

As visions in the night 

Possess my body 

Chorus

The pillars of reality 

Start crumbling underneath my feet

The mist corrupts my mind, infects my brain

And fading through the violet hues

Are images of me and you

In another world... in a better world

Verse

Moonlight shines through the window glass

And new ideas come so fast 

A new chapter begins 

When the sun's hidden

My mother -- she can't seem to grasp

The ways of an insomniac

These visions in the night 

Possess my heartbeat 

Chorus

The pillars of reality 

Are images of me and you

Bridge

Tides grow, smoke flows

Through this indigo sky

Don't doubt the stars' glow

In this mystical night 

Chorus (x2)

The pillars of reality 

Are images of me and you

Looking forward to a great mini season!!

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

You remember my **** from like 7 years ago? I haven’t written anything since shortly after that either. I know I was too literal and conversational, but some of y’all are poets

i don’t remember specific lyrics but i remember rooting for you. conversational lyrics can be a strength, and i think i remember you writing about like working in retail and having a unique perspective. 

3 hours ago, ughgabriel said:

@PrisonerOMG I SEE YOU LURKING PLEASE SIGN UP

im thinking. Give me time :gaycat6:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.