Bigger era?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger era?

• Bionic
    • Aphrodite
  2. 2. Better era?

• Bionic
    • Aphrodite

Both considered as the first underperformance by both divas after getting so much success and acclaim for many years… both innovative pop albums that didn’t follow the soundscape of the year of their release (2010) and both are fan favourite albums despite being called their first flop/underperformance era, and also both Xtina and Kylie talked about the underperformance many times after the release 

But which is the biggest era? Which is the better -quality-wise-

10-a%C3%B1os-de-Bionic-de-Christina-Agui

Kylie_Minogue-Aphrodite-album-2010.jpg

Edited by Julia Fox

how is Aphrodite an “underperformance” when All The Lovers was huge and it’s a classic in her discography?

the tour was a moment too

Impossible Princess was Kylie’s first flop, and Body Language and even X are bigger flops all things considered when compared to Aphrodite 

Bionic went Gold and outsold that Kylie album. Kylie hasn’t had a Gold or above album in the biggest music market in the world since maybe Fever lmao! Hahahahahah.

1 minute ago, TheFameMonster said:

How is Aphrodite an "underperformance"? :deadbanana2:

Aphrodite for both.

+1

1 minute ago, TaylorNation said:

how is Aphrodite an “underperformance” when All The Lovers was huge and it’s a classic in her discography?

the tour was a moment too

Impossible Princess was Kylie’s first flop, and Body Language and even X are bigger flops all things considered when compared to Aphrodite 

It was an underperformance by any means after her 2000's good run of success tbh let’s be honest and the entire of the world didn’t knew Kylie before Light Years era when she became a little more mainstream and global so it’s clearly her first well known underperformance era, just look at the album sales and the singles performance despite All The Livers being a classic on her discog 

Just now, Julia Fox said:

It was an underperformance by any means after her 2000's good run of success tbh let’s be honest and the entire of the world didn’t knew Kylie before Light Years era when she became a little more mainstream and global so it’s clearly her first well known underperformance era, just look at the album sales and the singles performance despite All The Livers being a classic on her discog 

If anything X was the underperformance, since it was her post cancer comeback and kinda flopped.

1 minute ago, TheFameMonster said:

If anything X was the underperformance, since it was her post cancer comeback and kinda flopped.

Not when that album had three top 10 UK singles and managed to be certified on seven countries… girl I love Aphrodite but you have to admit that is an underperformance 

13 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

when All The Lovers was huge

Where exactly was “ATL” huge?

It was a cute WW top ten hit but had little longevity. It did okay for a woman that was 20+ years into her career but let’s not oversell it. 

:rip:

It’s become a personal classic for her though, for sure. 

OT: To be honest, “Aphrodite” was Minogue’s last big album similar to how “Bionic” was Aguilera’s. The former was much more successful though, clearly. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Bionic sold more albums

and I think was more global?

but Aphrodite's singles were much better :deadbanana:

Bionic was better tho

Aphrodite is overrated to the High heavens by gays

All The Lovers was a big song. This one alone is bigger than the entire Xtina era. 

Bionic peaked at #3 on the BB200
Aphrodite peaked at #19 on the BB200

Bionic was #139 on the YE BB200

Aphrodite did not chart 

Bionic is Gold

Aphrodite is uncertified 

Clearly, Bionic did much better and it’s a better album too

Bionic outsold aphrodite worldwide 

Bionic did better but Aphrodite was that girl! The tour is one of the best ever.

Bionic is certified Platinum in 0 (ZERO) countries. Aphrodite at least did so in 2.

Not Myself Tonight + Woohoo + You Lost Me combined only went top 10 in 2 countries (Bulgaria and Hungary? :deadbanana4:). All The Lovers alone went top 10 in UK, France, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Germany etc.

Bionic's Tour: Cancelled. Aphrodite's Tour: Outgrossed each and every single tour Christina has ever done (and will).

Both were reported to have sold about 700k pure sales, and there's only a 20M gap on Spotify despite Bionic having 22 songs (+2 interludes) and Aphrodite only 12 :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

Not when that album had three top 10 UK singles and managed to be certified on seven countries… girl I love Aphrodite but you have to admit that is an underperformance 

Aphrodite charted longer than X and All The Lovers literally outsold all 3 of those top 10 combined. Her first underperformance was undeniably Let's Get to It in 1991 (a massive flop at that) :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Rev8 said:

and I think was more global?

Bionic only outsold Aphrodite in US/Canada and Japan. 

How was Aphrodite bigger? I'm curious

On top of all the points that have already been made for Kylie in this thread, Aphrodite actually helped elevate her career 20+ years in whereas Bionic was significant in killing Xtina's commercial power. You can say Xtina outsold her in the US (which I'm not disagreeing with) but what exactly did that do for her in the end? 

30 minutes ago, KOMH said:

How was Aphrodite bigger? I'm curious

How was it not?

Albums - Equal.

Aphrodite (pure sales breakdown):

• North America: 85,000
  • Asia – 50,000
  • Oceania - 75,000
  • Europe – 550,000

Bionic (pure sales breakdown):

• North America: 410,000
  • Asia – 94,000
  • Oceania - 30,000
  • Europe – 180,000

Kylie is a bit higher in pure, Christina makes up the gap with streaming (again, only a 20M gap when the album is twice as long is a bit... :deadbanana4:)

Singles: Aphrodite was bigger at the back of All the Lovers alone, see post above.

Tour: Aphrodite had a $60M+ grossing tour, that's more than any of Xtina's.

Even considering the little things that serve to no value like acclaim, Bionic was panned and Aphrodite wasn't.

km942.thumb.gif.3c0380f5525cb9bbf37c535a

Edited by Popboi.

34 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Bionic only outsold Aphrodite in US/Canada and Japan. 

I see Greece and Austria too

More Top 10s peaks...while A has more year-ends..but it's in places where there is no surprise

37 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Bulgaria

No lie, You Lost Me was big here :deadbanana2:

2 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

How was it not?

Albums - Equal.

• Asia – 50,000
  • Oceania - 75,000
  • Europe – 550,000

• Asia – 94,000
  • Oceania - 30,000
  • Europe – 180,000

Kylie is a bit higher in pure, Christina makes up the gap with streaming (again, only a 20M gap when the album is twice as long is a bit... :deadbanana4:)

Singles: Aphrodite was bigger at the back of All the Lovers alone, see post above.

Even considering the little things that serve to no value like acclaim, Bionic was panned and Aphrodite wasn't.

And the fact that she achieved all of this 20+ years into her career makes it much more impressive, imo. Christina was already flopping a decade in. 

That being said, Bionic might have a slight edge in album sales if we're going by certifications. Kylie wins overall though.

13 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

How was it not?

Albums - Equal.

• Asia – 50,000
  • Oceania - 75,000
  • Europe – 550,000

• Asia – 94,000
  • Oceania - 30,000
  • Europe – 180,000

Well Bionic has received very good retrospective acclaim that put it above Aphrodite right now… but you made some points… but I mean… it would be interesting to see the streams to the non singles of both albums… that would say a lot

tour wise Kylie wins -xtina didn’t tour-

quality wise is subjective but Aphrodite has aged poorly than Bionic imo 

sales they are pretty equal but Bionic is slightly above

streaming Xtina wins

singles well… Kylie won just with ATL but Xtina is followed by NMT and YLM and then Get Outta is there…

overall they are pretty equal…

Edited by Julia Fox

20 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Well Bionic has received very good retrospective acclaim that put it above Aphrodite right now… but you made some points… but I mean… it would be interesting to see the streams to the non singles of every album… that would say a lot 

Aphrodite's are on average in the 2M range, Bionic's in 3.6M or so (Bionic and I Hate Boys standing out at 5M and 6.8m, but some deluxe tracks drag down the average). When it comes to singles, All The Lovers is at 35M, Get Outta My Way is nearing 40M and both NMT and You Lost Me are at 30M. Nothing noteworthy other than the floppier singles (GOMW and YLM out streaming the bigger leads).

Edited by Popboi.

Aphrodite is bigger and better than Bionic.

Even though arguably neither pulled in massive numbers anywhere, Aphrodite was able to produce a hit in several major WW markets through All the Lovers and a gay cult classic through Get Outta My Way, neither of which Bionic was able to achieve. In addition, Aphrodite produced Kylie's longest and second highest grossing tour — which also outgrossed every single tour and residency Xtina has attempted to date — while Bionic only produced a cancelled tour.

Aphrodite was also Kylie's 11th studio album and came out 23 years after her debut, while Bionic was Xtina's 6th studio album and came out 12 years after her debut — given these optics and the facts stated before, even with similar sales/streaming figures, one appeared to be a commendable comeback for an artist with nothing left to prove and only added to her legacy, while the other appeared to be a massive disappointment for an artist who was expected to perform far better at the time and that was a commercial wall she was never able to overcome since outside of a few featured/duet hits for others' projects.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.