Are Mariah’s Hot 100 #1’s remembered?

D.M.F

As someone who doesn’t really follow Mariah and has only heard like half her discography - these are the ones I’ve heard referenced outside of stans: 

Vision Of Love

Emotions

Hero

Fantasy

One Sweet Day

Always Be My Baby

My All

We Belong Together

Touch My Body

AIWFCIY

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Both Sides Now

• Chris

• thetea

• brainmaniac

9 hours ago, stevyy said:

so, your logic goes like this:

12 / 12 remembered - Madonna

1 / 19 remembered - Mariah

classic Madonna-stans move. 

btw... last week on Spotify:

01 - 1,441,229 - Like a Prayer ----------------- 01 - 1,731,858 - 1995 - Fantasy

02 - 874,906 - Like a Virgin -------------------02 - 1,404,321 - 2005 - We Belong Together

03 - 674,774 - Vogue ------------------------- 03 - 1,062,412 - 1996 - Always be my Baby

04 - 468,349 - Papa Don't Preach -------------04 - 711,726 - 1993 - Hero

05 - 401,615 - Crazy For You ------------------05 - 577,179 - 2008 - Touch my Body

06 - 213,021 - Music ---------------------------06 - 521,128 - 1995 - One Sweet Day

07 - 200,113 - Live to Tell ----------------------07 - 400,745 - 1998 - My All

08 - 177,511 - Take a Bow ----------------------08 - 381,108 - 1999 - Heartbreaker

09 - 165,744 - Open your Heart ----------------09 - 341,808 - 1994 - All I want for Christmas Is You

10 - 97,950 - Who's That Girl -------------------10 - 271,663 - 1991 - Emotions

11 - 60,600 - Justify My Love ------------------ 11 - 215,970 - 1997 - Honey

12 - outside Madonna's top 50 - This used to be my Playground - 12 - 207,003 - 1992 - I'll Be There

13 - ---------------------------------------------13 - 171,385 - 1999 - Thank God I Found You

14 - ---------------------------------------------14 - 169,018 - 1993 - Dreamlover

15 - ---------------------------------------------15 - 165,802 - 1990 - Vision of Love

16 - --------------------------------------------- 16 - 115,360 - 2005 - Don't Forget About Us

17 - ---------------------------------------------- 17 - 95,160 - 1990 - Love Takes Time

18 - -----------------------------------------------18 - 58,303 - 1991 - Someday

19 - ---------------------------------------------- 19 - 25,974 - 1991 - I Don't Wanna Cry

Is this real? Madonna's streams are atrocious and ATRL make it bigger than it seems. No wonder I've never heard of any Madonna's song when I was a kid. 

Ya’ll need to stop sleeping on Honey and OSD :rip:

"I'll be there" is definitely remembered.

"One Sweet Day" too.

With the rise of RnB and 90s nostalgia plus really good music, I'd say "Honey", "Heartbreaker" etc also have potential.

3 hours ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

Is this real? Madonna's streams are atrocious and ATRL make it bigger than it seems. No wonder I've never heard of any Madonna's song when I was a kid. 

Well... Yeah. They’re ok. In fairness, Hung Up and Material Girl never went #1 and they pull decent numbers.

The irony is that the Madonna stan was implying that OSD/WBT have poor streams. Meanwhile, OSD is pulling more average streams than all but 3 of M’s #1s on Spotify (outstreams them all on YouTube) and WBT outstreams every single one of them except LAP on Spotify. It’s a self-drag :skull:

I won’t even go there with the Xtina fan. There’s always some other unknowable metric they refer to when you show them clear as day Mariah is stomping compared to other legacy acts. They essentially said Christina has no remembered songs (which in fairness is probably true). 

I mean she has 19, so obviously not all of them will be remembered..

But it would be absolutely absurd to not acknowledge the below are classics like :deadbanana4:

• Always Be My Baby
  • Fantasy
  • We Belong Together
  • AIWFCIY

I'd also argue other songs like My All, Honey, Heartbreaker, Vision Of Love, Emotions are somewhat remembered as well. 

5 hours ago, ReH2o said:

No, all forgotten

Girl, Fantasy alone outstreams 8/9 of Xtina’s albums on Spotify

Daily streams - April 

Strapped - 325k
Fantasy - 311k

Christina Aguilera - 264k

Back To Basics - 177k

La Fuerza - 148k

Mi Reflejo -97k

Lotus - 46k

Bionic -35k 

Liberation - <35k

My Kind of Christmas - <35k

https://mobile.twitter.com/XtinaDaiIy/status/1521698577759993856

I hear most of them on the radio, and people around me know her songs. She was hugely popular in NZ in the 90s so most people that were young at the time know them. I wasn't one of them, but my mum was so she knows all of these songs besides Thank God I Found You and she wasn't even a mariah fan or listener. 

Here are the ones I'd say are remembered and the ones I hear personally

Vision Of Love

Love Takes Time

Someday

I Don't Wanna Cry

Emotions

I'll Be There

Dreamlover

Hero

Fantasy

One Sweet Day

Always Be My Baby

Honey

My All

Heartbreaker

Thank God I Found You

We Belong Together

Touch My Body

All I Want For Christmas is You

I hear Heartbreaker a lot. It's a classic at island birthdays and parties. 

Edited by thetea

7 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

The deflection and usual meltdown from you :lmao:

You being triggered to create your own scale combining YouTube and Spotify :rip:

You’re literally the only one in this thread who listed One Sweet Day as remembered.  :rip: Everyone else has enough sense to know it’s viewed as one of her forgotten #1s 

ur embarrassing. just stop

OT: I forgot about Don't Forget About Us but thats probably tied with TGIFY and IDWC as her most forgotten #1s. 

7 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Bionic -35k 

Liberation - <35k

:rip:

3 hours ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

I didn't either, as a child I had honestly never heard any of her music. I grew up with Mariah in the background, especially ABMB, Fantasy, WBT, TMB but I never really paid attention to her until I bought Merry Christmas on CD and got into her discography from there. It's weird how people make Madonna seem like she has way more streams and attention than Mariah

3 minutes ago, thetea said:

ur embarrassing. just stop

OT: I forgot about Don't Forget About Us but thats probably tied with TGIFY and IDWC as her most forgotten #1s. 

What’s embarrassing is you listing most of her #1’’s as remembered.

Including Heartbreaker because you hear it at birthday parties :deadbanana:

11 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

I'd say anyone who paid attention to pop music, listened to the radio, and turned on MTV at least once every calendar year from 1990-2005 remembers the vast majority if not all of her hits. :skull: Well maybe not TGIFY but still. Something is remembered if it is recalled in the memory of someone who experienced it; it does not mean that it is recognizable to people who weren't born yet. Ask any 45 year old pop or R&B fan in the US or UK if they remember her early hits and they will say yes.

Very well said :clap3:

14 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Girl, Fantasy alone outstreams 8/9 of Xtina’s albums on Spotify

Daily streams - April 

Strapped - 325k
Fantasy - 311k

Christina Aguilera - 264k

Back To Basics - 177k

La Fuerza - 148k

Mi Reflejo -97k

Lotus - 46k

Bionic -35k 

Liberation - <35k

https://mobile.twitter.com/XtinaDaiIy/status/1521698577759993856

The swift clock :ahh:

Just now, brainmaniac said:

it's on the radio too, what? anyway u don't live where I live so i don't get why you're trying to argue whether or not her songs are remembered in places you don't live.

Vision Of Love
Emotions
I’ll Be There
Hero
Fantasy
One Sweet Day
Always Be My Baby
My All
We Belong Together
Touch My Body

AIWFCIY

These are all remembered imo.

Then she has tons of songs that didn’t go #1 but are definitely remembered.

5 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

Heartbreaker alone outstreams 4/9 of Xtina’s albums :skull:

1 minute ago, thetea said:

it's on the radio too, what? anyway u don't live where I live so i don't get why you're trying to argue whether or not her songs are remembered in places you don't live.

Well, then that works both ways then lol. You’re disagreeing with what I view as remembered even though I live in a different place. Nobody here lives in the same place so we’re all going to have different views on what is remembered :ducky:

Of those titles, I can only remember how We Belong Together and AIWFCIY go…

About half are not remembered but that's what happened when you have 19 #1 hits.

Even the Beatles probably don't have that many remembered classics, it's a ridiculous standard to put on Mariah :deadbanana4: Just bc some of you were born after Mariah's 90s peak doesn't mean she wasn't a huge artist. 

Well, then that works both ways then lol. You’re disagreeing with what I view as remembered even though I live in a different place. Nobody here lives in the same place so we’re all going to have different views on what is remembered :ducky:

i never disagreed with you about anything. you're delusional

OT: mariah's had a really impressive career. She's had solo #1s from 1990 - 2022  which is difficult to get, not everybody has that. Some only have solo #1s from 1999 - 2000

A lot are forgotten. The streams for her debut album in particular are shockingly low.

Just now, thetea said:

i never disagreed with you about anything. you're delusional

OT: mariah's had a really impressive career. She's had solo #1s from 1990 - 2022  which is difficult to get, not everybody has that. Some only have solo #1s from 1999 - 2000

You were the one quoting me disagreeing about One Sweet Day not being remembered :lmao:And it doesn’t get more delusional than viewing a song as remembered just because you heard it at some random birthday party :deadbanana:

OT: Like most people have said, most of her #1s are not remembered. Some are remembered like that Xmas song, but One Sweet Day is NOT one of them

You were the one quoting me disagreeing about One Sweet Day not being remembered :lmao:And it doesn’t get more delusional than viewing a song as remembered just because you heard it at some random birthday party :deadbanana:

OT: Like most people have said, most of her #1s are not remembered. Some are remembered like that Xmas song, but One Sweet Day is NOT one of them

I never said that OSD wasn't forgotten, I just said that you were embarrassing, which you are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.