Calls To Rename Mother’s Day

Horizon Flame

Australia's first official non-binary person calls for Mother's Day to be RENAMED so it includes transgender men who have given birth

Transgender activist Norrie May-Welby calling for debate on Mother's Day term

Norrie suggested 'Nurturer's Day' would be a better term with 'men' giving birth

Medicare data from 2018-19 showed 22 transgender men gave birth in a year 

4986-C7-E0-F2-E3-4157-82-BD-AC2-E8245-A8

A progressive activist has suggested Mother's Day be renamed to reflect how transgender men are now classified as giving birth.

Norrie May-Welby, who was born a male and had gender reassignment surgery at age 28, said the term 'mother' was not exclusive to females.

'It's not sex specific. I think mothering is instinctual in all mammals, regardless of biological sex,' the activist told Daily Mail Australia.

Norrie, 60, won a High Court battle in 2014 to be identified as belonging to neither gender in New South Wales.

In a unanimous decision, Australia's highest court allowed the state's Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages to register a person's sex as 'non-specific'.

Now Norrie, who was born in Scotland, is calling for a debate on the term Mother's Day ahead of the special day on Sunday.

‘Mother' is a verb. One can be mothering without being a biological birther,' Norrie said.

'And Mother's Day, before Hallmark hijacked it, was Mothering Sunday, when one returned to the church one was baptised in. '

While not offended by the term Mother's Day, Norrie suggested it be renamed 'Nurturer's Day'.

'Of course language shifts with time and place, and it may become Nurturer's Day, but that's an extra syllable, and for now, I am happy with 'Mother's Day',' Norrie said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10788221/Call-Mothers-Day-renamed-transgender-men-classified-giving-birth.html

Thoughts? Should it be changed?

Edited by Horizon Flame

:bibliahh:

This is literally turning into conservative propaganda ploy 

Nurturer's day sounds really awkward but I don't see anything wrong with calling it "parent day" or something. Lots of people of any gender/sex take on nurturing duties of some kind

oh look, another thread about nonbinary people that ATRLers can laugh at and say 'sJwS hAvE gOnE tOo FaR!!!1'

what else is new on this website full of gay boomers :coffee2:

Australia just keeps getting worse. :bibliahh:

4 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

another thread about nonbinary people

i mean, but who else can decide these matters at the end of the day? 99.99% of people are "binary" 

I’ll never understand those peoples obsession with wanting to rename anything that has to do with women into birthing people, menstruators, nurturer, etc. 

it sounds way too conservative and reducing women to their body functions 

16 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Nurturer's day sounds really awkward but I don't see anything wrong with calling it "parent day" or something. Lots of people of any gender/sex take on nurturing duties of some kind

Then they can create their own day?

Why on earth should Mothers Day be changed to accommodate such a small part of the population?

The VAST majority of people who give birth are women and the day should reflect that. 

Absolutely ridiculous idea that should never happen. 

Okay... I understand wanting to be included and all and I don't begrudge them that, but it does not make much sense to me for Australia to rename a holiday previously dedicated to millions of people (mothers) to include approximately 22 more of them :gaycat6:

i mean if anything i would think the move would be making both mothers and fathers day more inclusive of amab mothers and afab fathers, but idk if this is the way

:michael:

This idea, along with "birthing bodies" are among the stupidest things I've ever heard :skull:

Edited by Khal

This is honestly the kind of toxic representation that has the potential to set back everything we have achieved. Why do people want to provoke anti-wokeist uprisings that have the potential to lead to violence against trans-men and non-binary people? It’s self-defeating and alienating.

Conservatives don't even need to lift a finger nowadays 17HSMdI.gif

trans men who have kids should celebrate father's day. "problem" solved. 

3 hours ago, Horizon Flame said:

‘It's not sex specific. I think mothering is instinctual in all mammals, regardless of biological sex,' the activist told Daily Mail Australia.

:bibliahh:

3 hours ago, Brando said:

This is literally turning into conservative propaganda ploy 

This. Of course it’s the Daily Mail reporting this :rip:

In before JK Rowling.

Nobody is calling for this, it's just Daily Mail trying to get hetero cis people to feel threatened by trans people. 

Stay vigilant. 

2 minutes ago, Pop said:

Nobody is calling for this, it's just Daily Mail trying to get hetero cis people to feel threatened by trans people. 

Stay vigilant. 

literally this, why are we posting one single persons opinion and taking it as gospel / a nation wide request :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.