Which is easier in your country: to find a person that speaks Spanish or French?

Ferret

This goes obviously for non spanish/ non french speaking countries. I just would like tl get a very wide view of which language is more popular

USA - Spanish

Germany - French

Italy - Equal, although there is a section of the country that does speak French natively.

Edited by The7thStranger

India? French. It is one of the widely taught second-languages in schools that follow the CBSE curriculum. 

uk is probably french since I think there is more people from french speaking parts of the world living here, it is also probably the most common language to learn at school but realistically anyone that says they can speak a language based on what they learned at school is lying 

In the north of Italy the regions are very much influenced by the near by countries, not only the Sud Tirol which is a whole different story but also a couple which are attached to France, and where people speak french. French and spanish are the most taught languages in school after english, but most people study french in middle school, while spanish is only taught if you choose language high school, and most of the times in that case you'd do french as well (at least in my area).

Other than that, I think spanish is much much more present "culturally", if it makes sense. At least here in the South of Italy people love the language, the culture, latin music is one of the main genres on the charts and people see spanish speaking countries as sister-countries.

Edited by ariananext

In Israel I'd say it's more even but leaning towards Spanish, there's been a huge surge of French Jews coming over in the past decade vs the presence of Argentinian Jews + Judeo-Spanish (Ladino) speakers + the telenovelas craze that took over the country 20 years ago.

I live in the South of the UK and I would definitely say Spanish

8 minutes ago, ariananext said:

In the north of Italy the regions are very much influenced by the near by countries, not only the Sud Tirol which is a whole different story but also a couple which are attached to France, and where people speak french. French and spanish are the most taught languages in school after english, but most people study french in middle school, while spanish is only taught if you choose language high school, and most of the times in that case you'd do french as well (at least in my area).

Other than that, I think spanish is much much more present "culturally", if it makes sense. At least here in the South of Italy people love the language, the culture, latin music is one of the main genres on the charts and people see spanish speaking countries as sister-countries.

Interesting answer. I met a group of italians last year and they knew reggeaton songs and knew who daddy yankee was. I was really surprised tbh

7 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Interesting answer. I met a group of italians last year and they knew reggeaton songs and knew who daddy yankee was. I was really surprised tbh

Oh of course, latin pop smashes hard here and italian pop artists are influenced by latin music a lot, also using spanish in their own italian songs and working with spanish/latin artists. 

Edited by ariananext

Both :rip: the 2 languages that everyone mostly speaks here, after english and the native one

(also German..but mostly because work)

guess it's leaning more on French rn tho?

1st Arabic

2nd English

3rd Hindi

4th French

Those who speak it here are mostly Lebanese, Moroccans, and other colonized African countries. 

The USA has more Spanish speakers than any country besides Mexico so obviously Spanish.  

Definitely Spanish overall but I swear I've been hearing people speaking French EVERYWHERE I go in NYC

Spanish. I've never met someone who speaks French IRL except me.

Spanish

1 hour ago, hurricane326 said:

Spanish without question

well it looks like you're from the northeast like me, it's def easier to find spanish but we prob have the most french speakers around besides lousiana and quebec :cm: lots of haitian immigrants and francophone african immigrants as well as french canadians all around

Definitely French in Italy considering it was the mandatory foreign language in school until the mid-90s (then it became English), but Spanish is pretty widespread as well

In Trinidad, definitely Spanish, it's our second language. French is taught in secondary schools though but Spanish is definitely more common. 

2 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Definitely French in Italy considering it was the mandatory foreign language in school until the mid-90s (then it became English), but Spanish is pretty widespread as well

Pretty much this. Fact is that people born until late '80s are most probably knowing french, but from now it's been leaving room to english and spanish, with the latter being pretty common among those borns from 2000s on.

French easily since it’s Canada :cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.