Which Genre of Music is Most Influential?

Armani?

Which Genre of Music is Most Influential?   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Genre of Music is Most Influential?

Which genre takes 1st place in influence of music over generations and decades?

Discuss

Jazz, Gospel, Rock and Disco

This is such an interesting question.

I'd say it's a tie between Jazz and R&B, and since jazz influenced R&B, maybe it's that? But R&B is just so popular and has had a longer lasting time at the top of mainstream pop music from the 1960s-present.

Actually classical is pretty influential too considering how long its been around and how many people have drawn inspiration from it.

18 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Jazz, Gospel, Rock and Disco

Gospel gave us Soul, funk, Rock&Roll & Disco.

If you can sing Gospel, you can sing everything.

Edited by frenchyisback

Classical, Soul and Rock is the holy trinity

Pop music, as weird as it might sound. Pop music is what inspired creatives to take risk with thier sound, Melodies, Beats. Pop inspired Blues to Rock to Alt to Funk to Hip-Hop to breakbeat to ambient to House to Electronic to Nu-Disco to contemporary. Obviously this is a generalization but pop music is the most sampled music behind Hip-hop, Funk and R&B Soul. I think people discredit how much impact a simple pop chord progression plays in music over the last 200 years. 

9 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Pop music, as weird as it might sound. Pop music is what inspired creatives to take risk with thier sound, Melodies, Beats. Pop inspired Blues to Rock to Alt to Funk to Hip-Hop to breakbeat to ambient to House to Electronic to Nu-Disco to contemporary. Obviously this is a generalization but pop music is the most sampled music behind Hip-hop, Funk and R&B Soul. I think people discredit how much impact a simple pop chord progression plays in music over the last 200 years. 

The term Pop is wierd to me, cuz Jazz would technically be "Pop" in the 1920s & 30s lol

It did start to become distinct by the 1960s though 

Either rap/hiphop and rnb. Black excell:clap3:ence 

AlexStexaul

rock by far

Whatever sales most atm so pop

Most modern Western genres from country to hip hop today have roots in blues and gospel so I’d say those. 

R&B and Rap are the most influential, globally. Every culture now has this rap “urban” sound that’s sonically related to American hip hop/R&B.

This was a hard vote to pin down to:skull:

jazz, blues and gospel? 

Classical. A large portion of the songs we know and love are based on classical melodies, particularly Canon in D. 

Classical, that's not to diminish the innovations that came from Blues, Jazz and other genres, but at least in the west/most parts of world, Classical music/western harmony is the foundation that all the other genres were built on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.