Funny Girl lead actress panned on Broadway

TaylorNation

Somewhere Lea Michele is cackling....

Also read some reviews that weren't positive on Jane Lynch either. 

Edited by chester

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TaylorNation

• Protocol

• Espresso

• NausAllien

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Beanie has been so good before and has a theater background, I’m really surprised they continued to push this through if she just she can’t sing?? :deadbanana:

She's an okay-to-good singer and she'd be fine in like, a musical movie but this is Broadway and that won't cut it

I feel bad simply because I like Beanie and it must be brutal to put yourself out there and then read negative reviews like this. But also I'm not surprised. Broadway has a very high calibre of vocal talent but what makes this even worse is that it's THIS show in particular. Maybe no one would've bat an eye at her in something else but carrying Funny Girl is such a huge thing. I'm not surprised she isn't able to cut it vocally. She may be perfect for the role in 85 other ways but if you can't bring the house down, you shouldn't be the lead of this show.

Edited by ksmith

Lea Michele and her Disneyfied *** would’ve been terrible for this role too, so anyone bringing up those comparisons can just sit down.

It takes more than just being able to hit the notes, you have to believe what she’s singing.

Lea does the former and not the latter and Fanny can’t do either.

Gaga would've won Tony for that, oh well poor that

32 minutes ago, Diarrhoea said:

She's an okay-to-good singer and she'd be fine in like, a musical movie but this is Broadway and that won't cut it

I guess I'm just surprised because she's always been in theater since she was young; an old co worker/friend of mine actually went to camp with her. You'd think with all of the extensive background she'd have a stronger stage presence. 

Gaga’s aesthetic and vocal choices  may have backfired with some critics in the past, and I haven’t followed her closely recently, but this hammy role would’ve been perfect for her.

1 hour ago, gatito said:

she ruined her own career by being a trash human being tho :soda:and she’s not that great live, it’s one thing to lipsync to these songs for a tv show but she isn’t broadway star material

OT: just close this thing already nobody asked for a Funny Girl revival

Lea did My Man in front of Barbra at a tribute for her and got her applause, I think she was more than prepared for this role before the mess.

You could tell she was going to be a bad fit the moment she was cast. Oscar Isaac dodged a bullet not playing Nick Arnstein.

Something something Gaga something something blah blah monsters. 

:giraffe:

51 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

Something something Gaga something something blah blah monsters. 

:giraffe:

Gaga just couldn't do 8 shows a week they're only fooling themselves :rip:maybe 10 years ago

I haven't really been impressed by anything I've seen her in honestly. Theater people are usually snobs but she probably is not up to it if she's being dragged by all those publications :skull: 

Nepotism can’t buy talent, what a shock. 

:sistrens:

Some of the reviews panned her acting in general, too. I read one that praised her acting, but very blatantly avoided saying a word about her singing; you kinda have to side eye a critic who heaps praise on certain aspects of a performance while turning a blind eye to its shortcomings…

3 hours ago, WEEKND said:

this girl really thought she could get up here and sing My Man in the wrong key and nobody would notice 

My Man isn’t in the Broadway production; I believe it was a film-only thing. 

the role should have gone to the illiterate racist sawri

Edited by jjmed59

Feldstein’s voice lets her down. Piercing and unpleasant when it gets any higher than her chest, fading and pitchy when it descends even a few steps, it’s simply not a sound you expect to hear on Broadway. Feldstein cannot sing them. It seems brutal to place a woman in such an exposed position, where a whole Broadway production rests on notes she can’t sustain

:hoetenks:

3 hours ago, Espresso said:

Lea Michele and her Disneyfied *** would’ve been terrible for this role too, so anyone bringing up those comparisons can just sit down.

It takes more than just being able to hit the notes, you have to believe what she’s singing.

Lea does the former and not the latter and Fanny can’t do either.

im not a fan but she ate several times on glee, lets no lie to ourselves. and she probably wouldve eaten here too.

1 hour ago, JoJo said:

Why is Jameela Jamil replying to Pop Crave :ahh:

Also as if anyone is that bothered by Jonah Hill of all people :rip: 

Besides there are endless cases of nepotism in Hwood. No one was shitting on Bryce Dallas Howard for her acting, in fact everyone agrees she is a good actress, sometimes great (The Village, The Help) and if anything talent runs in the family.

3 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

I guess I'm just surprised because she's always been in theater since she was young; an old co worker/friend of mine actually went to camp with her. You'd think with all of the extensive background she'd have a stronger stage presence. 

You can go to theatre camp from 5 years old but if you don't have natural God given singing talent it's not going to cut it. This is not indie whisper music it's big showtunes. You can only do vocal exercises and training to a certain extent, you're still working within the limitations of your ability.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.