Someone summons Tesla, crashed in 3 million dollar private jet

Breathe On Moi

the rich eating the rich :foxaylove3:

Self-driving cars will never be a thing just like that google glass mess. They shipped it but it got shipped back.

There is just too much risk involved and too much trust in machines required that I think inherently goes against human nature and our cautious nature. It sets off alarm bells that can't be quieted. People had doubts and fears about cars when they first came out, but there was always a human behind the wheel. To be asked to put your trust in a machine to that level is another thing entirely. Driving is full of split second intuitive decisions based on the behaviour of other drivers around you in which the slightest change or error could mean a horrible crash. I'm not even sure the A.I. is at that level to be able to do that, who wants to step into an automated Tesla on a highway going 100mph with cars around you doing the same?

2 hours ago, Protocol said:

Self-driving cars will never be a thing 

Tbh :cm:

4 hours ago, Protocol said:

I'm not even sure the A.I. is at that level to be able to do that, who wants to step into an automated Tesla on a highway going 100mph with cars around you doing the same?

I use Autopilot every single time I’m on the highway, it’s the best thing to happen to cars and I honestly hope all cars have some form of it in the future.  The problem is when the technology either glitches, or when it’s being exploited.  

Summon is only supposed to be used in predictable scenarios, like a parking lot of CARS, a driveway, etc, not an airport tarmac.  However, the sensors should have seen a giant plane (!!!) and stopped.   So this is also a glitch.  

7 hours ago, Protocol said:

Self-driving cars will never be a thing just like that google glass mess. They shipped it but it got shipped back.

There is just too much risk involved and too much trust in machines required that I think inherently goes against human nature and our cautious nature. It sets off alarm bells that can't be quieted. People had doubts and fears about cars when they first came out, but there was always a human behind the wheel. To be asked to put your trust in a machine to that level is another thing entirely. Driving is full of split second intuitive decisions based on the behaviour of other drivers around you in which the slightest change or error could mean a horrible crash. I'm not even sure the A.I. is at that level to be able to do that, who wants to step into an automated Tesla on a highway going 100mph with cars around you doing the same?

Never is a strong word. I think autonomous cars won’t be here until a couple more decades. Tesla is also just flawed because it uses only cameras while other EV companies use a combo of LiDAR sensors + cameras. There needs to be significant more data collected for AI to even achieve this and we are just not there yet.

As for Google Glass and Microsoft’s hololens, those were flops and those companies simply can’t bring hardware products to mass-adoption. They’re only software companies imo. Apple will be the one to make glasses a thing and they will do it because they invested billions into AR. It’s just the next step after phones. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.