CNN+ flops after a month; will shut down on April 30th

Mellark

Executives at Discovery thought that CNN+ was off to a slow start: At any given time, there were fewer than 10,000 people using the service, according to a person familiar with the numbers who was not authorized to speak publicly. Still, two people inside CNN said the service had about 150,000 paying subscribers and was on pace to hit the network’s first-year goals.

x

The service had 150,000 subscribers, but only 10,000 people were using it. :deadbanana2:

ciara-flop.gif

Edited by Mellark

With this bombing and Netflix collapsing, it's clear the streaming era has over-saturated the market.

Not everything needs to be a subscription. 

People liked Netflix because it was like Spotify, pay one price and get almost all content legally. 

People will check out when they realize they need 10 subscriptions and it becomes like cable TV. 

Good. Corporate media deserves to flop especially when it spreads neoliberal propaganda 

CNN is honestly crap. There are better and less bias news resources out there. 

Wait were they expecting people to pay for a news channel? As if we don’t get bombarded with (bad) news everywhere we look? :psyduck:

What if we just packaged all the streaming services into one and you just pay a single price for all of them? So if you don't like what's on one service, you can just flip to another one.

Good. Tired of everyone trying to get their own piece of the pie. The streaming market has become over saturated with to many options. Just cancelled my Disney and Netflix will be next.

51 minutes ago, Pop said:

Not everything needs to be a subscription. 

People liked Netflix because it was like Spotify, pay one price and get almost all content legally. 

People will check out when they realize they need 10 subscriptions and it becomes like cable TV. 

The way to do it is have each person in your friend group pay for one, and then everyone else shares log in

I only pay for Prime but I get Disney+, Netflix, Paramount+ and HBO max that way kii 

4 minutes ago, HausOfPunk said:

What if we just packaged all the streaming services into one and you just pay a single price for all of them? So if you don't like what's on one service, you can just flip to another one.

this would be smart of them to do. HBO, Disney, Prime, Paramount and Netflix offer a multi package app for $30 a month would be great. It would be competing with cable subscriptions. 

Edited by Generation Braindead

3 minutes ago, HausOfPunk said:

This is how it should be, like Spotify and iTunes

Imagine if each record label had their own streaming service :deadbanana2:

A month? :bibliahh:

I didn't even know this existed, but yes we need some of these streaming services to go bankrupt :clap3:

What’s the point of paying for a CNN streaming service if it’s basically the same cable broadcast which you probably already have.

Why would anyone pay for that :doc:

Kasie Hunt LOST! 

Good

I’m reminded of trying to read news and getting stopped unless I literally buy a subscription. idk, it’s obviously too much for the average person to worry about all these subscription fees, so I guess they’re all targeting specific income demos. Looks like this one failed at least. 

I see a lot of similar content providers partnering with each other for bundled subscriptions at a lower price. Because for me I’m only going to be paying for one of these things at once. But yeah I love to see the fall of mega cable companies streaming has already shown it can change the very idea of TV but these paywalls are steep and confusing. 

Edited by BGXKB

Omg no Dionne doc. I’m pissed! :chick2:

Streaming works well for movies or TV shows but news? Doesn’t really work. CNN has always been arrogant and full of themselves so of course they lacked the self awareness that there is a v small amount of people who would subscribe to a CNN streaming service.

Edited by imabadkid

All these streaming platforms are like going back to cable but having to pay for each channel individually :toofunny2: 

People will go back to piracy if they dont stop the bullshit. 

It's what they deserve for being the enemy of the working class

There are far too many streaming services now :rip: 

We definitely need a Spotify equivalent but for movies/TV shows. Nobody wants to pay for 5 streaming services each month, give us one that has everything and we'll pay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.