Complex has had enough - Doja Cat is a Rapper. Stop saying otherwise

dabunique

5 hours ago, Dreajae said:

Her management/label doesn't see it that way when they submit her music to pop and r&b categories. Her biggest songs to the GP are pop and r&b leaning songs.

People need to stop acting dumb to why this is debated. No one is debating that Doja can't rap. But a Cypher in 2014 does nothing for her in 2022. 

Its so annoying the way they play dumb

She tried to be a rapper a failed now her fans are trying to rewrite history like shes not just another dr luke creation

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• BGXKB

• dabunique

• iaintiffin

6 hours ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

This.  Future and Gunna at least sing over rap beats. Her music is pop/r&b, and you're lucky if she does more than one rap verse per song.  It's like saying TLC is a rap group b/c Left Eye came in during the bridge.

Rap and hip hop are different things. You can rap over any beat and you can also make a hip hop song without rapping. Mary J. Blige is the Queen of Hip Hop Soul and people see her as a singer first before even mentioning her as a rapper. Literally no one thinks of Mary when it comes to the conversations of female rap. Maybe old heads might make an honorable mention about her, but for the most part she is recognized as a singer.

Edited by TiaTamera

There are rappers, then there is a well rounded, multitalented, unproblematic, stage performing force, Grammy award winning, triple/quadruple threat rapper, Doja Cat

I don’t understand how people are saying otherwise. You don’t have to be Hip Hop to be a rapper :rip: 

Edited by Mezter

18 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

There are rappers, then there is a well rounded, multitalented, unproblematic, stage performing force, Grammy award winning, triple/quadruple threat rapper, Doja Cat

:cm:

It’s probably Doja is best known for 2 dance pop songs. She’s not really as known for her rap material. Most of her Grammys noms are in pop categories and she even won a pop Grammy

Her music gets played WAY more on pop radio than it does on urban/hip-hop radio too. Say So & Kiss Me More didn’t even chart on urban/hip-hop radio...in fact I think her only Top 10 on that format is Saweetie’s duet with her :gaycat6: 

So its not surprising that people think of her as a pop diva over a rapper.

1 hour ago, faceclef said:

Its so annoying the way they play dumb

She tried to be a rapper a failed now her fans are trying to rewrite history like shes not just another dr luke creation

If being versatile is “failing”, then I’m glad she “failed”…b/c the pivot did wonders for her in the long run.  Because in the end she ended up with the longest charting solo female rap song….so she did something right  :coffee2: 

So much so, that every other female rapper trying to attempt to sing and/or copy her sound, all just in the last few months. :laugh:  

Literally every female rapper has dabbled in every genre, Lauryn Hill won her grammy for an album that wasn’t just entirely rap, so for Doja to be the only girl people have an issue with is very telling.:coffee2: Both Kiss Me More and Need To Know still have rap elements in the songs as do majority of her songs, she is a female rapper point blank. More importantly, it’s so tired to box in female rappers and gatekeep them from exploring other genres, that doesn’t take away their credibility as rappers.

Need to know is 3x Platinum Eligible and Aint **** is 2x platinum eligible.

If the GP wasn't familiar with her rap tracks then why does she have a rap album track with over 300m on spotify ? :clown:

Right, most rappers have to deal with being boxed in as rappers and not acknowledged for anything else, while Doja Cat has the PRIVILEGE of being acknowledged as everything and y’all are mad some people don’t call her a rapper too??? Probably the same people who are mad because they’re labeled just rappers???

This whole debate is so backwards, not surprised it was started by Complex. Literally making something out of nothing.

8 hours ago, Popboi. said:

She’s a rapper that can sing her own hooks without ghost singers or features. Any other take is wrong :bird:

This.

And I dont think she's claimed to ever to Hip Hop which a lot of people confuse her for. You can do pop music and be a rapper.

2 hours ago, BGXKB said:

Right, most rappers have to deal with being boxed in as rappers and not acknowledged for anything else, while Doja Cat has the PRIVILEGE of being acknowledged as everything and y’all are mad some people don’t call her a rapper too??? Probably the same people who are mad because they’re labeled just rappers???

This whole debate is so backwards, not surprised it was started by Complex. Literally making something out of nothing.

Because she’s versatile and actually good at doing multiple genres.  :michael:  Outside of Missy Elliot, Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah and maybe Baby Tate there are very few female rappers that actually can sing (let alone sing and dance).  

You don’t get boxed in, if you have the talent to avoid getting boxed in…that’s the way I see it.  :laugh:

Doja is not only a Rapper. 

She is a singer, dancer and performer. She has it all. 

She is versatile unlike other Rap girls there.

Being only a rapper is bad for a WW career so I don't mind if people think she is a singer eventhough she is not 

The better set record straight for Best Friend hitmaker :clap3:

9 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Because she’s versatile and actually good at doing multiple genres.  :michael:  Outside of Missy Elliot, Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah and maybe Baby Tate there are very few female rappers that actually can sing (let alone sing and dance).  

You don’t get boxed in, if you have the talent to avoid getting boxed in…that’s the way I see it.  :laugh:

I don’t like this word that she’s “versatile” as if T-Pain wasn’t, as if Nicki wasn’t, as if Bree isn’t, Dreezy, Noname, Rico Nasty, all these girls…

I mean Bree literally debuted with a dance pop song, that’s what I know her for, now she’s always regulated to just a rapper? 

9 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

I don’t like this word that she’s “versatile” as if T-Pain wasn’t, as if Nicki wasn’t, as if Bree isn’t, Dreezy, Noname, Rico Nasty, all these girls…

I mean Bree literally debuted with a dance pop song, that’s what I know her for, now she’s always regulated to just a rapper? 

T Pain and Nicki had multiple crossover records though.  I would consider them versatile.  No? 

And imo, Nicki’s singing is OKAY.  I dunno know if I could listen to a whole album of her singing, if I’m gonna be honest :toofunny2: (and I typically love her).  

Rest of them aren’t even that well known in general, imo.  Especially Bree when it comes to the US.  But I do agree they are talented.  More of an issue of timing, imo.  Azealia Banks would’ve definitely been THAT girl - Pop and Rap, if she just sat there and ate her food :laugh:  I’m still pissed about that.  

47 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

T Pain and Nicki had multiple crossover records though.  I would consider them versatile.  No? 

And imo, Nicki’s singing is OKAY.  I dunno know if I could listen to a whole album of her singing, if I’m gonna be honest :toofunny2: (and I typically love her).  

Rest of them aren’t even that well known in general, imo.  Especially Bree when it comes to the US.  But I do agree they are talented.  More of an issue of timing, imo.  Azealia Banks would’ve definitely been THAT girl - Pop and Rap, if she just sat there and ate her food :laugh:  I’m still pissed about that.  

Girl you just mentioned another one AB has almost NEVER been acknowledged for her singing when her range literally blows Doja’s away. Doja serves whispery vocals, gets called a singer, okay, Azealia Banks serves OPERA, gets called a rapper, okay. 

I remember when Doja came out, everyone was comparing her and Slayyyter to Britney. Now only Slayyyter gets compared to B while Doja is… a rapper now? Okay sis.

23 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

Girl you just mentioned another one AB has almost NEVER been acknowledged for her singing when her range literally blows Doja’s away. Doja serves whispery vocals, gets called a singer, okay, Azealia Banks serves OPERA, gets called a rapper, okay. 

I remember when Doja came out, everyone was comparing her and Slayyyter to Britney. Now only Slayyyter gets compared to B while Doja is… a rapper now? Okay sis.

For AB, honestly…she don’t even have enough hits period for ppl to form an opinion about her singing tho.  :skull:  

Most GP only know “212” which she wasn’t singing much on (for what? Like two lines :laugh:).  Doja has had plenty of songs where she’s rapping atp (Rules, Juicy, Need to Know, Tia Tamera, and other pure Rap features like ***** Talk, Best Friend, etc).  

But yes, just b/c GP is dumb and don’t check the catalog…doesn’t mean AB is “not a singer” she does both, just like Doja.  But it’s not an EXACT comparison, given AB had like one hot month of being popular ? (vs. alllllllll the other opportunities ppl were exposed to Doja’s rapping).  Come on now.  

SN: I swear to god I never heard of Slayyyter outside of ATRL.  :rip:  So you must be referring to ppl on here.  Lol.

18 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

For AB, honestly…she don’t even have enough hits period for ppl to form an opinion about her singing tho.  :skull:  

Most GP only know “212” which she wasn’t singing much on (for what? Like two lines :laugh:).  Doja has had plenty of songs where she’s rapping atp (Rules, Juicy, Need to Know, Tia Tamera, and other pure Rap features like ***** Talk, Best Friend, etc).  

But yes, just b/c GP is dumb and don’t check the catalog…doesn’t mean AB is “not a singer” she does both, just like Doja.  But it’s not an EXACT comparison, given AB had like one hot month of being popular ? (vs. alllllllll the other opportunities ppl were exposed to Doja’s rapping).  Come on now.  

SN: I swear to god I never heard of Slayyyter outside of ATRL.  :rip:  So you must be referring to ppl on here.  Lol.

Yet 212 is one of the best known female rap songs from the last decade and a lot of people probably think the bridge is a sample or something.

and on the SN :ahh:Slayyyter and Doja were both having a moment back in 2018-19, of course I’m glad only the more talented one stuck around, but she did appear on a Charli XCX standalone single with Kim Petras, so I wouldn’t say she’s that unknown.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure she raps most of her lines, even less of a singer than Doja. I’m not saying she should be called a rapper too, I just don’t understand how she wouldn’t be considered a rapper at all while Doja primarily is… Slayyyter and AB were also supposed to collab at one point. Thankfully, that never happened, but their styles are similar in how they mix rapping and singing and I guess both of them kind of knew that? :michael:

19 hours ago, Dreajae said:

Her management/label doesn't see it that way when they submit her music to pop and r&b categories. Her biggest songs to the GP are pop and r&b leaning songs.

People need to stop acting dumb to why this is debated. No one is debating that Doja can't rap. But a Cypher in 2014 does nothing for her in 2022. 

Thank you!!! Doja’s fans come to the discussion acting dense as to why there’s debate about a girl who sings more than she raps over Dr. Luke productions. Can she rap? Yes. Now, after her success, will she release a full rap song like other female rappers who aren’t debated? Probably not.

14 hours ago, BGXKB said:

Complex has little to no authority in hip hop, let alone female rap, but okay. “L.A.’s underground rap scene” literally sure :bibliahh:

Says who?

22 minutes ago, Shirlene said:

Says who?

Girl it’s a hip hop magazine founded, owned, and staffed by white people no further explanation needed :deadbanana4:

edit: it’s not even a hip hop magazine it’s literally owned by Buzzfeed and Complex just had a major racism scandal 2 years ago am I really the first to question the source here :deadvision:

Edited by BGXKB

2 hours ago, BGXKB said:

Girl it’s a hip hop magazine founded, owned, and staffed by white people no further explanation needed :deadbanana4:

edit: it’s not even a hip hop magazine it’s literally owned by Buzzfeed and Complex just had a major racism scandal 2 years ago am I really the first to question the source here :deadvision:

Ok but she also was featured on Best Hip Hop Albums of 2021 for XXL + won Top Female Rap Artist (and performer) at their award show.  The same magazine ppl look to for upcoming Rap talent (Freshman Class). :coffee:  Among also getting praise for her rapping from Hot 97/Ebro and many other rappers + commentators.  

And nominated for Grammy in Rap category (twice).  And has a Rap-related Guinness Book Record.  It’s not like Complex is the only magazine that has said she’s a rapper. :laugh:

Like…what other goal posts y’all want to move next? NO ONE has the authority to determine anything.  That’s the bottom line.  :laugh:  Especially not after we welcomed mumble rappers (and people who don’t even write) as legit Hip-hop artists ? for the last few years, lol.  Honestly that’s where we fucked up.  We let too many people slide by, but now all of a sudden we have standards.  Especially when Doja has more skill than them.  FOH! :rip: 

6 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Ok but she also was featured on Best Hip Hop Albums of 2021 for XXL + won Top Female Rap Artist (and performer) at their award show.  The same magazine ppl look to for upcoming Rap talent (Freshman Class). :coffee:  Among also getting praise for her rapping from Hot 97/Ebro and many other rappers + commentators.  

And nominated for Grammy in Rap category (twice).  And has a Rap-related Guinness Book Record.  It’s not like Complex is the only magazine that has said she’s a rapper. :laugh:

Like…what other goal posts y’all want to move next? NO ONE has the authority to determine anything.  That’s the bottom line.  :laugh:  Especially not after we welcomed mumble rappers (and people who don’t even write) as legit Hip-hop artists ? for the last few years, lol.  Honestly that’s where we fucked up.  We let too many people slide by, but now all of a sudden we have standards.  Especially when Doja has more skill than them.  FOH! :rip: 

Ok sis we can start another thread about Doja’s XXL cover or her Rap Grammys or whatever the old heads have to say about a girl under 30 or on mumble rap, okay, but Complex is just not reputable.

:intoit:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.