95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

24 minutes ago, Riot said:

It's kinda admirable how in the midst of all of this mess Andrea Riseborough has been silent :skull:

Shes scared

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

I’m hearing talks of a top gun sneak for BP

is that possible?

20 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

What's this praise around Tang Wei ? She did a good job at being quiet, enigmatic and emotive when she needed to be but she's no Han Ye-Ri.

Steven Yeun Korean GIF by Madman Films - Find & Share on GIPHY

the white actress stan in this thread needed a token pick to hedge against michelle yeoh and she just happened to come in mind ig

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b6b6yblffp4guxu8gu28

I just remembered that Mark Rylance was ignored in supporting actor but Brian Tyree Henry randomly got in for that performance.

Let's not even talk about Judd Hirsch.

giphy.gif

JLC winning would be such chaos I'm here for it 

1 hour ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

is that possible?

if it wins PGA, then yes 

I love brian but he shouldnt have gotten in over eddie redmayne or mark rylance

But then again, im here for him being a oscar Nominee 

3 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

is that possible?

It's possible. Cruise was the toast of the town at the luncheon 

4 hours ago, Riot said:

It's kinda admirable how in the midst of all of this mess Andrea Riseborough has been silent :skull:

I don't get it. She did all this for a nomination and now she's unwilling to even acknowledge it? What was the point? 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/entertainment/cate-blanchett-cancel-culture/index.html

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/cate-blanchett-lesbian-tar-carol.html?

Interesting. Per Cate, cancel culture is bad; she would know after winning an Oscar for a Woody Allen movie.

And the cishet white rich lady says “I don’t think about my gender or my sexuality. If [Carol] was made now, me not being gay — would I be given public permission to play that role? Scarlett Johansson doesn’t play a role that maybe she was the only person who could play it.”

I think you already have the 'anti woke' vote over asian queen yeoh, but ig she really wants us to know how she feels

Edited by fridayteenage

It's so weird that EEAAO became this award season juggernaut, and Ke Huy Quan, the Daniels, and Jamie Lee Curtis seem to be gaining the most momentum for the project. It's as if it's painful for these awards bodies to award a WOC in a lead role.

Set Decorators Society Of America Awards Winners (Production Design Oscar precursor):

BEST PICTURE

Everything Everywhere All at Once – Set Decoration by Kelsi Ephraim, SDSA with Production Design by Jason Kisvarday

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN DÉCOR/DESIGN OF A PERIOD FEATURE FILM

Elvis – Set Decoration by Bev Dunn, SDSA with Production Design by Catherine Martin & Karen Murphy

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN DÉCOR/DESIGN OF A CONTEMPORARY FEATURE FILM

(Tie)

Tár – Set Decoration by Ernestine Hipper, SDSA with Production Design by Marco Bittner Rosser

and

Top Gun: Maverick – Set Decoration by Jan Pascale, SDSA with Production Design by Jeremy Hindle

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN DÉCOR/DESIGN OF A MUSICAL OR COMEDY FEATURE FILM

(Tie)

Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical – Set Decoration by Anna Lynch-Robinson With Production Design by David Hindle and Christian Huband

and

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent – Set Decoration by Letizia Santucci, SDSA with Production Design by Kevin Kavanaugh

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN DÉCOR/DESIGN OF A SCIENCE FICTION OR FEATURE FILM

Everything Everywhere All at Once – Set Decoration by Kelsi Ephraim, SDSA with Production Design by Jason Kisvarday

4 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/entertainment/cate-blanchett-cancel-culture/index.html

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/cate-blanchett-lesbian-tar-carol.html?

Interesting. Per Cate, cancel culture is bad; she would know after winning an Oscar for a Woody Allen movie.

And the cishet white rich lady says “I don’t think about my gender or my sexuality. If [Carol] was made now, me not being gay — would I be given public permission to play that role? Scarlett Johansson doesn’t play a role that maybe she was the only person who could play it.”

I think you already have the 'anti woke' vote over asian queen yeoh, but ig she really wants us to know how she feels

what an insane statement from someone getting universal acclaim playing a lesbian RIGHT NOW THIS YEAR?  :biblio:

2 hours ago, 400Iux said:

what an insane statement from someone getting universal acclaim playing a lesbian RIGHT NOW THIS YEAR?  :biblio:

She really needs to stop giving interviews. It's like she wants to give Michelle the win by acting stupid

MOTHER :clap3:

She's coming for her 3rd Oscar :jonny2:

On 2/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, Mr. Loco said:

There's no way Barbie will be a big Oscar contender :rip:

The people that saw the first test screening last week already mentioned that this could be a potential nominee for Best Production Design, Best Costume Design and Best Makeup & Hairstyle; while also saying that this is Ryan’s best work to date so BSA for him; this is Greta Gerwing and Lady Bird got 5 noms and Little Women 6 so yeah I could see Barbie getting a few.

16 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

I don't get it. She did all this for a nomination and now she's unwilling to even acknowledge it? What was the point? 

she did nothing :skull:

21 hours ago, Riot said:

she's working overnight with her behind the scene campaign :eli:

14 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

It's so weird that EEAAO became this award season juggernaut, and Ke Huy Quan, the Daniels, and Jamie Lee Curtis seem to be gaining the most momentum for the project. It's as if it's painful for these awards bodies to award a WOC in a lead role.

no matter how the internet hates her for taking Stephanie's spot for different awards (which is somehow explainable) but her hyper-cheerleadering shove-it-to-your-throat personalities really did wonders for the film as a whole :deadbanana2:

2 hours ago, Dark Phoenix said:

The people that saw the first test screening last week already mentioned that this could be a potential nominee for Best Production Design, Best Costume Design and Best Makeup & Hairstyle; while also saying that this is Ryan’s best work to date so BSA for him; this is Greta Gerwing and Lady Bird got 5 noms and Little Women 6 so yeah I could see Barbie getting a few.

I think it looks like a Prod. Design and Costume nominee, but do we really trust test screening reactions?

2 hours ago, Dark Phoenix said:

2 hours ago, Liafen said:

There's no way Barbie won't be a big Oscar contender :rip: 

Having a couple technical noms =/= being a big Oscar contender. A recognized director and good early screenings don't say much tbh, Eternals is a clear example of that. Which was the last Comedy/Family blockbuster to go big at the Oscars? I remember many predicting Mary Poppins sequel to be huge and it also underperformed with only a few technical noms and no wins.

Spoiler

Picture

•    ⁠Older women Academy voters Anne had dinner with loved EEAAO and Yeoh.
•    ⁠Top 3 films are EEAAO, Banshees and Top Gun.
•    ⁠If EEAAO wins PGA, they all agree it's done.
•    ⁠Fabelmans is this year's TPOTD

Actress

•    ⁠It's still Blanchett's to lose despite experts being 14:9 to Blanchett.
•    ⁠They don’t understand how Roseborough would take votes away from Blanchett.
•    ⁠Williams is not campaigning, is back at home in Brooklyn.
•    ⁠Riseborough is not campaigning either, and Anne thinks the nomination hurt her.
•    ⁠A studio publicist held a meeting a week before the nominations about the Riseborough campaign.
•    ⁠People actually watched To Leslie, the Academy Screening Room has already changed campaigning.
•    ⁠They all agree Deadwyler was snubbed, but not many people went to see Till.

Campaigning rules

•    ⁠Riseborough voters were energized, they thought they were doing a good thing for the underdog.
•    ⁠Anne says actors do this all the time even with studios behind them. Standard operating procedure.
•    ⁠The campaigners know where the lines are drawn, and break them all the time. They all laugh at the Academy.
•    ⁠Pete says the main reason is that guilds and different groups have different rules and cross-membership, so it's impossible to follow different campaigning rules.
•    ⁠Diane Warren discussion. They don't hold back. Anne straight up calls it cronyism, Pete calls her friends cronies.
•    ⁠Pete puts 3-time-nominee J. Ralph in the same category as Warren, just less successful.
•    ⁠They laugh at Winslet overhyping

Riseborough's performance.

Actor

•    ⁠They agree it's a three-way race, with Nighy not being that farfetched.
•    ⁠Mescal has no shot. He is London on stage, can't campaign.
•    ⁠Fraser needs SAG, no BP nomination hurts him.
•    ⁠Butler can run away with it.

Supporting Actress

•    ⁠They think if Bassett wins SAG, she is winning. They all agree it's a legacy award and that the speeches help her.
•    ⁠JLC is a legacy nominee.

Supporting Actor

•    ⁠Quan is the runaway.
•    ⁠Voters loved Causeway. Quiet, naturalistic, well-directed, well-acted,

Screenplay
•    ⁠Tom Cruise didn't campaign as hard as he could have. Not his style.

•    ⁠They think McDonagh has to win something, but say its EEAAO for its originality.

BTL

•    ⁠All Quiet is winning International and Cinematography.
•    ⁠Elvis can carry the day.
•    ⁠Top Gun has Editing, EEAAO is too scruffy. Top Gun has a degree of complexity EEAAO doesn't.
•    ⁠Avatar is winning VFX.
•    ⁠Miranda's snub was a big shock.
•    ⁠Makeup is competitive, The Whale is ahead, but who knows. THe Batman only has Penguin. Pete says The Whale winning makeup and actor would be like Dalls uyers Club or Ed Wood.
•    ⁠If The Whale doesn't win Makeup, don't look for Fraser winning.
•    ⁠Production Design is a tough call. Elvis has the advantage by being a BP nominee, but Babylon has the advantage of likely winning score. All Quiet has a shot here.
•    ⁠Son Lux over Desplat is a sign that the music branch's tastes are changing.
•    ⁠If they love All Quiet, it can win these uncertain categories.
•    ⁠Naatu Naatu is their prediction, but they are uncertain.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.