• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

4 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Oscar nominees, winners of Trifecta, that lost the Oscar:

-1989:gaylorcat2:Michelle Pfeiffer · The Fabulous Baker Boys (in front of Tandy in Best Picture winner Driving Miss Daisy)
-2004 Imelda Staunton · Vera Drake (in front of Swank in Best Picture winner Million Dollar Baby)
-2016 Isabelle Huppert · Elle (in front of Stone in the Best Picture winner for 6 seconds La La Land)

tho none of these performances were in a BP nominee, which Blanchett has in her favor

Michelle Pfeiffer robbed in broad daylight...and for what

Watching all the Best Picture nominations and so far I REALLY liked Banshees, All Quiet was pretty good but I dont see it winning and Elvis was horrible. Im yet to see the rest

2 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

Awards bait movies don't have endings like TAR. :fan: 

Tar's ending is such a kiiii, they really went for it :dies:

14 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Yes because it's a basic movie packaged as a high art movie :rip:

Not really? The entire film is one extended allegory for modern existence. :rip: It's just doing so while also embracing genre filmmaking. 

I'd argue that EEAAO is more symbolically dense and forward-thinking than Tár, by lightyears. And I thought Tár was fab.

Speaking of basic movies, i've watched To Leslie yesterday and gosh, what a middle of the road drunk/drug movie.

I feel like i've seen it before, truly nothing new, nothing changed, same ol' sh*t.

Andrea's performance was strong of course but nothing i've never seen before either.

All this over THAT ??? a mess...

53 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Tar's ending is such a kiiii, they really went for it :dies:

"ew, asians gross"

will ampas agree with the movie by choosing her and blocking yeoh possibly making history?

we shall SEE

The funniest thing out of Riseborough's controversy is the fact that Jen Lopez and Jen Aniston couldn't even get 218 members to rank them as #1 :toofunny3:

side-eye.gif

On 1/30/2023 at 4:35 AM, Eóghan said:

Preach. People are so tasteless in here.

And the fact it's completely out-of-pocket compared to what the Oscars usually nominates is groundbreaking. More weaponized dildo and butt plug fights please.

ezgif-1-8a3898bb51.thumb.gif.5731c4063df 

The way some users keep complainning about Oscar baity movie and then go trash something as good and exciting as EEAAO.

This and Parasyte are such amazing exciting Best picture winner.

2 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

girl, WHAT ???

that's the ending you said "they really went for it"

yellow peril alert!

time for luise rainer to come to the rescue ig

5 hours ago, Dark Miracles said:

Michelle Pfeiffer robbed in broad daylight...and for what

The real winner that year was Jessica Lange (Music Box) or even Isabel Adjani (Camille Claudel).

Pfeiffer was a close third. 

Tandy winning the award was a complete and utter legacy win, just like Geraldine Page in 1985 (when Whoopi Goldberg should’ve been the real winner). 

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

19 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Yeah Gravity losing to 12YAS was an absolute joke 

No, it certainly wasn’t. 

:rip:

23 hours ago, Eóghan said:

Let's NEVER forget the "Crash" fiasco over "Brokeback Mountain" because of split votes. Usually when you win Best Director AND Best Screenplay, Best Picture is a given but not that year.

Every year it's a fight between whoever gets Best Director and Best Screenplay that determines the BP winner. But when you get both there's no doubt and yet you can still lose because of split votes.

A rare split vote could turn things away from both EEAAO and Banshees.

“Crash” was a great movie though, and the films premise, and underlying subtext, still remains prevalent in and throughout society today. 

I can definitely see why it won BP.

”Munich” was also a great film and could’ve potentially won BP too. 

🤷🏾‍♂️

People saying that Tar is oscar bait and that it's boring and pretencious are just dumb. Just say you didn't like it but that is just plain lying 

Tár is not going to perform well on a preferential ballot, ppl either seem to love it (place it high on their list) or just not connect w it at all and put it fairly low

What is this narrative? The Academy likes TÁR. It overperformed and even got Editing + Cinematography surprise nominations. 

A MOVIE! 

Edited by Blade Runner

13 hours ago, its_britney_bitch said:

I understand disagreeing, but… you don’t get it? :rip: It’s literal awards-bait, those movies are famously boring. The “BIPOC” (literally my first time hearing that “word” actually spoken) scene was probably the only somewhat enjoyable scene in the whole film

character driven drama =/= awards bait necessarily. the awards bait version of tar would spoon-feed a message about abuse of power and be deathly serious while doing it (like she said). tar paints a really complex situation and forces the viewer to be uncomfortable and make judgments around a highly sensitive topic (and is darkly funny and prickly while doing it). the academy historically doesn't "get" films like that. 

Edited by teresaguidice

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

What is this narrative? The Academy likes TÁR. It overperformed and even got Editing + Cinematography surprise nominations. 

A MOVIE! 

What exactly is that clip supposed to show lol 

2 hours ago, Donquizote said:

The funniest thing out of Riseborough's controversy is the fact that Jen Lopez and Jen Aniston couldn't even get 218 members to rank them as #1 :toofunny3:

side-eye.gif

when you put it like that :bibliahh:at least Aniston has a major award (Emmy). Poor other girl

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

What is this narrative? The Academy likes TÁR. It overperformed and even got Editing + Cinematography

yes like dog which ended up with 1 win 

Cate should've won in this tbh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.