95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

2 hours ago, MAXIMO said:

If Top Gun 2 wins BP, which is very possible because the "oldies" will support it, I hope they don't give Best Adapted Screenplay away to it, just to support the BP win, because the director is not nominated in BD,  just like they did with CODA, Argo, etc. No more mediocre winners in those category, please.

About Brokeback Mountain, that film could have won (and it did) Director, Screenplay, Score, even the acting categories, but they'd have never given it BP, it's their main award, it was like they were trying to "protect" it from that film. :rip: 

I think a movie that wins Director and Screenplay, even acting, it should be granted the Best Picture award, if it's not it was clearly because there where political/social reasons behind it.

Yeah Gravity losing to 12YAS was an absolute joke 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

1 hour ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Top Gun will win best picture. It will symbolize the return of movie theaters. It was the first massive box office success story since the pandemic. 

that would be spider man no way home sweetie

Everything Everywhere's box office story is much more interesting anyway. top gun 2 being the sequel of a year's #1 hit, starring a guy who's still churning out action hits is not as big of a surprise

3 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

Yeah Gravity losing to 12YAS was an absolute joke 

this is not relevant at all to the post you responded to. gravity wasn't even nominated for writing, they're talking about movies that won writing AND directing.

Edited by fridayteenage

4 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

that would be spider man no way home sweetie

Everything Everywhere's box office story is much more interesting anyway. top gun 2 being the sequel of a year's #1 hit, starring a guy who's still churning out action hits is not as big of a surprise

this is not relevant at all to the post you responded to. gravity wasn't even nominated for writing, they're talking about movies that won writing AND directing.

Oh you’re right. Could’ve sworn it picked that one up too. 

still stand by my statement though. How you gonna award one film 7 Oscar’s including best director and then say it ain’t the best of the year 

EEAAO is only guaranteed to win Supporting Actor for now.

Director is still up in the air especially since Daniels LOST at Globes.

13 hours ago, Slate said:

The EEAAO lashings :clap3: 

I was so excited to see it and wanted to like it, but it did nothing for me. The humor was not it whatsoever (hot dog fingers :rip:) and the emotional beats failed to really deliver. Regardless, Michelle was the best part of it and deserves all the acclaim. Stephanie Hsu seems nice but I was not impressed with her performance at all nnn

It was a good movie but people need to stop saying that it's the best movie of the year because it's clearly not :clap3:

I also don't get why critics rally behind the Daniels for Director when in fact Todd Field and Park gave better direction :rip:

9 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

I also don't get why critics rally behind the Daniels for Director when in fact Todd Field and Park gave better direction :rip:

Todd Field really deserves but the fact that Park wasn't nominated was shocking. Seems like voters ignored it because they already gave Parasite and Minari (an American movie :skull: ) awards.

Hoping for Todd to win BAFTA and finally Oscar.

Thinking Spielberg will take DGA.

My Best Picture preferences:

The Fabelmans > Tár > EEAAO > All Quiet on the Western Front > Triangle of Sadness > Elvis > Top Gun: Maverick >> Avatar 2 

Still not watched: Women Talking and Banshees of Inisherin

i am starting to think andrea could win. older side of the academy doesn't like when social media tries to pressure them and tends to vote for their targets and the younger side of acting branch might rally to support her as well. plus cate's speech at critic's choice basically saying awards are pointless. i kind of see it now. 

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

I don't get the TAR is boring allegations. I was engaged from the BIPOC pangender scene til the end 

braindeadery i fear. it's easily the most deserving of best picture from the bunch. 

I mean general audience usually prefer basic movie like EEAAO. While it's a good popcorn movie, I don't get why it sweeps critics awards :rip: 

Tar deserves to win tbh, but I see many voters prefer something basic like Fabelmans/EEAAO/Banshees :toofunny3:

Writing and Directing winners each year; their record with acting/writing/directing, 2 points for winning a field, 1 point for being nominated in a field:

Coda Act, Writing (4), Dog Director, act, writing (4), Belfast Writing, act, dir (4)

Nomadland Dir, Act, wtg (5); Father Writing, Act (4), Promising Writing, act, dir (4)

Parasite Dir, Wtg (4); Jojo Rabbit Wtg, act (3)

Green Book Wtg, Act (4), Roma Dir, act, wtg (4), Klansman Wtg, dir, act (4)

Shape of Water Dir, wtg, act (4), Get Out Wtg, act, dir (4); Your Name Wtg, act (3)

Moonlight Wtg, Act, dir (5), La La Land Dir, Act, wtg (5), Manchester Wtg, Act, dir (5)

Spotlight Wtg, dir, act (4), Revenant Dir, Act (4), Big Short Wtg, dir, act (4)

Birdman Dir, Wtg, act (5); Imitation Game Wtg, act, dir (4)

Slave Wtg, Act, dir (5); Gravity Dir, act (3), Her Wtg (2)

Django Act, Wtg (4); Argo Wtg, act (3), Life of Pi Dir, wtg (3)

Artist Dir, Act, wtg (5); Descendants Wtg, dir, act (4), Midnight Wtg, dir (3)

King's Speech Dir, Act, Wtg (6); Social Network Wtg, dir, act (4)

Hurt Locker Dir, Wtg, act (5), Precious Wtg, Act, dir (5)

Milk Wtg, Act, dir (5); Slumdog Dir, Wtg (4)

Old Men Wtg, Act, Dir (6); Juno Wtg, act, dir (4)

Departed Dir, Wtg, act (5); Miss Sunshine Wtg, Act (4)

Brokeback Dir, Wtg, act (5), Crash Wtg, dir, act (4)

2012 was a weird year. Affleck still won directing at dga/bafta/globe; he would have won Directing with the academy at large if the directors themselves didn't exclude him.

I fail to see how top gun could be comparable to recent history; it'd be the first BP since 1932 to miss at least 2/3 of acting, writing, directing.

35 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

I mean general audience usually prefer basic movie like EEAAO. While it's a good popcorn movie, I don't get why it sweeps critics awards :rip: 

Tar deserves to win tbh, but I see many voters prefer something basic like Fabelmans/EEAAO/Banshees :toofunny3:

Ummmm :rip:

It's literally textbook absurdism and post-modernism, while also being high-concept :rip:

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

1 minute ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

Ummmm :rip:

It's literally textbook absurdism and post-modernism, while also being high-concept :rip:

Yes because it's a basic movie packaged as a high art movie :rip:

Field should win director. Daniels could've cut a good 20 minutes in between the 2nd/3rd act. 

The real recent robbery was George Miller not winning Best Director for Mad Max: Fury Road :coffee2:

8 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

I don't get the TAR is boring allegations. I was engaged from the BIPOC pangender scene til the end 

I understand disagreeing, but… you don’t get it? :rip: It’s literal awards-bait, those movies are famously boring. The “BIPOC” (literally my first time hearing that “word” actually spoken) scene was probably the only somewhat enjoyable scene in the whole film

The way I only see Bi people of color

EEAAO was cute 

The Daniels is overrated and hoping that AMPAS members vote for Field instead :duca:

8 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Wtf is this :ahh:

1 hour ago, its_britney_bitch said:

I understand disagreeing, but… you don’t get it? :rip: It’s literal awards-bait, those movies are famously boring. The “BIPOC” (literally my first time hearing that “word” actually spoken) scene was probably the only somewhat enjoyable scene in the whole film

Not saying you have to like the movie, but Tar is original, risky, ambitious and kinda niche-y. Everything typical awards bait isn’t. It could have just as easily not happened and probably wouldn’t have if it didn’t have a star as big as Cate with a performance as excellent as the one she gave. 

Oscar nominees, winners of Trifecta, that lost the Oscar:

-1989:gaylorcat2:Michelle Pfeiffer · The Fabulous Baker Boys (in front of Tandy in Best Picture winner Driving Miss Daisy)
-2004 Imelda Staunton · Vera Drake (in front of Swank in Best Picture winner Million Dollar Baby)
-2016 Isabelle Huppert · Elle (in front of Stone in the Best Picture winner for 6 seconds La La Land)

tho none of these performances were in a BP nominee, which Blanchett has in her favor

Edited by hausofdave

11 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

This. I'm usually not into 'ready for film school analysis' type movies but this one had me hooked from start to finish. It's so atmospheric and beautifully shot too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.