• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Brokeback Mountain lost because the academy was/is deep-down homophobic. The film has quite a strong sexual scene and explicit passionate kisses between men that scare them off, they tolerate a little kiss on the beach that's why Moonlight's win was the perfect time for them to recognize LGBT films. :toofunny2:

4 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Yeah... Brokeback lost because of "Split votes" :toofunny3:

There isn't a single movie that is 10% as divisive as Brokeback Mountain was in that race for all the political reasons we know about.

2 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

is "split votes" a synonym for homophobia, or?

then why did it win Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Score ect ...

make it make sense

you can't just throw homophobia/politics at one category. the movie was just unlucky.

EEAAO or Top Gun will win BP.

If Cate wins BAFTA (95% lock) she'll win BA 

4 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

make it make sense

you can't just throw homophobia/politics at one category. the movie was just unlucky.

and what, pray tell, was the movie that brokeback split votes with that allowed crash to win?

the only other movies besides those two that won multiple oscars were king kong and geisha, which were nowhere near the bp race.

If Top Gun 2 wins BP, which is very possible because the "oldies" will support it, I hope they don't give Best Adapted Screenplay away to it, just to support the BP win, because the director is not nominated in BD,  just like they did with CODA, Argo, etc. No more mediocre winners in those category, please.

About Brokeback Mountain, that film could have won (and it did) Director, Screenplay, Score, even the acting categories, but they'd have never given it BP, it's their main award, it was like they were trying to "protect" it from that film. :rip: 

I think a movie that wins Director and Screenplay, even acting, it should be granted the Best Picture award, if it's not it was clearly because there where political/social reasons behind it.

Edited by MAXIMO

Maverick for BP? I have to laugh-

They'd rather give Avatar The Way of Water BP before they give it to Maverick :bibliahh:

I think more voters are going to watch To Leslie due to the drama surrounding Adrea.

This will help her more with visibility.

I won't be shocked if she won :jonny5:

I hope she wins so Film twitter can explode.

8 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

make it make sense

An acclaimed movie made by a worshipped director with great qualities that had passion in many branches but still not watched or acceptable enough for most voters to give the biggest prize to. The preferential voting wasn't a thing back then, so number 1 is number 1.

Let's not forget that Oscar Party Clint Eastwood threw that year only to find out he didn't even watch Brokeback Mountain, the BP frontrunner. :heart:

Top Gun doesn't even have enough passion to get it's A-list Lead actor nominated. :rip:

Umm what is this revisionism...Bareback Mountain definitely lost Best Picture because of homophobia, nothing more :rip: Yes it won all those awards but The Academy was (well still is) too bigoted to give it the biggest one. Ledger deserved BA as well :'( 

Academy members Curtis and Borgnine launched a campaign against the film Brokeback Mountain during the film’s Oscar run, with both saying they had no intention of seeing the film. Later, despite having not even seen the film, Curtis went on Fox News and said people were only interested in the film because it centered on “gay cowboys,” and said, “Howard Hughes and John Wayne wouldn’t like it.” Borgnine, for his part, reportedly said, “I didn’t see it and I don’t care to see it. If John Wayne were alive he’d be rolling over in his grave.”

18 years later BM is still a bulletproof gay classic and one of the best movies this century (not up for debate :mandown:) so we know which movie truly won. 

Edited by State of Grace.

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

BB is still a bulletproof gay classic and one of the best movies this century (not up for debate :mandown:)

oh purr oh purr !!! :chick2:

Michelle Williams in BB was ROBBED at gunpoint for Oscar win.

The fact that she's been ROBBED three times for Oscar win :biblio:

On another note, I finally watched was dragged to see Tár this weekend. Awfully slow and unnecessarily long movie that finally picks up the last hour. I couldn’t hold my attention and almost fell asleep during the first 30mins fff. I love a good & powerful character study/build up but they sure took their time. :skull: 

El Diablo was magnificent tho and I'd be stanning if Michelle wasn't in the running.

35 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Top Gun doesn't even have enough passion to get it's A-list Lead actor nominated. :rip:

:rip:

I have it in 3rd place, but it's still a distant 3rd. We can go on about "stats are just stats" but it needs to start stomping the industry awards now to build the momentum. And unlike Coda, it's been a major player for months and everyone has seen it. 

TGM is not winning :toofunny2:

Finally saw Women Talking today. Really hope it wins best adapted. 

Top Gun will win best picture. It will symbolize the return of movie theaters. It was the first massive box office success story since the pandemic. I am very confident about it winning, especially with a streaming service movie winning last year. 

That Adapted Screenplay nom for TG2 is the typical "we're gonna put this right here just in case...". Women Talking should win, but that film just have that nom and BP. The winner in that category has been always nominated in multiple categories and of course the BP nom. All Quiet is there, but I don't see it happening. The others are fillers.

Crazy that McDormand is so beloved that she has another Oscar nomination this year :toofunny3:

McDormand has such a great eye to pick up independent projects, not only as an actress, but as a producers, she has already 2 BP noms, she's a double threat. :clap3:Also, she's married to one of the Coen Brothers, who are beloved  in the industry and they can help her to be cast in great roles for her, apart from the ones she gets by herself as an actress and producer.

She's 65, if she keeps that track record for the next years, I can see her getting many more nominations and at least probably 1 or 2 oscars more until she's done.

Prepare for 5/6 time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand. :1stplace:

Edited by MAXIMO

I mean the fact that she didn't even try to win most of the time, yet she's so beloved by AMPAS that they still vote for her :bibliahh:

McDormand looks like a nice and cool lady who you like to hang out with.

Edited by Donquizote
edit

McDormand is literally in like 4 minutes of Women Talking and I could've seen her getting a supporting actress nod. She is a force on screen.

1 hour ago, State of Grace. said:

On another note, I finally watched was dragged to see Tár this weekend. Awfully slow and unnecessarily long movie that finally picks up the last hour. I couldn’t hold my attention and almost fell asleep during the first 30mins fff. I love a good & powerful character study/build up but they sure took their time. :skull: 

El Diablo was magnificent tho and I'd be stanning if Michelle wasn't in the running.

Thank god I’m not the only one, everybody I’ve seen has been raving about Tár. It’s the most pretentious borefest I’ve ever seen :rip: Cate Blanchett I can understand (sort of), but Best Picture? Director? Screenplay? Come on.

Also I need Frances McDormand to never win another acting Oscar, leave Katharine Hepburn’s record untouched :chick3:

I don't get the TAR is boring allegations. I was engaged from the BIPOC pangender scene til the end 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.