95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

The EEAAO lashings :clap3: 

I was so excited to see it and wanted to like it, but it did nothing for me. The humor was not it whatsoever (hot dog fingers :rip:) and the emotional beats failed to really deliver. Regardless, Michelle was the best part of it and deserves all the acclaim. Stephanie Hsu seems nice but I was not impressed with her performance at all nnn

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

The AARP Annual Movies for Grownups Awards Winners:

• Career Achievement: Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups: Top Gun: Maverick
  • Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
  • Best Actor: Brendan Fraser (The Whale)
  • Best Supporting Actress: Judith Ivey (Women Talking)
  • Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch (The Fabelmans)
  • Best Director: Baz Luhrmann (Elvis)
  • Best Screenwriter: Kazuo Ishiguro (Living)
  • Best Ensemble: She Said
  • Best Intergenerational: Till
  • Best Time Capsule: Elvis
  • Best Grownup Love Story: Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
  • Best Documentary: Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down
  • Best Foreign Film: The Quiet Girl (Ireland)

12 minutes ago, Hector said:

The AARP Annual Movies for Grownups Awards Winners:

• Career Achievement: Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups: Top Gun: Maverick
  • Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
  • Best Actor: Brendan Fraser (The Whale)
  • Best Supporting Actress: Judith Ivey (Women Talking)
  • Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch (The Fabelmans)
  • Best Director: Baz Luhrmann (Elvis)
  • Best Screenwriter: Kazuo Ishiguro (Living)
  • Best Ensemble: She Said
  • Best Intergenerational: Till
  • Best Time Capsule: Elvis
  • Best Grownup Love Story: Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
  • Best Documentary: Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down
  • Best Foreign Film: The Quiet Girl (Ireland)

the oldies said NO to cate, YES to asian excellence. next, the oldies at the oscars.

Also good for ishiguro getting recognition somewhere.

Rooting for Tar or Banshees to win Best Picture. Everything Everywhere All At Once is cute but WAY overhyped, the other two are much more restrained and masterfully made.

2 hours ago, Green said:

I watched TAR and while the movie started very boring (the interview at the beginning almost made me fell asleep) it gets so much better later

Cate was amazing and honestly she has the better performance of the Best Actress nominees I've seen so far. Her and Michelle Yeoh are both deserving to win and any of them would have won over last year's nominees so Miss Chastain got very lucky.

I feel like Cate really hits her stride in the Juilliard class scene and from then on she's fairly undeniable

1 hour ago, okgo said:

Mescal is clearly being propped as the new acting It boy, social media loves him, he was just announced as the lead of the new Gladiator sequel so its not surprising Hollywood took advantage of the moment to help push/ put his name out there more with a nom too since the performance was hyped abt. let's hope he fares better than other recent internet boyfriends tho

The Oscars are an investment from the industry into the stock of an actor to increase their profile and box office prowess, so yeah that probably played a part in his nomination. Though that happens much more frequently on the womens side, as a lot of relatively younger women win Best Actress compared to average age of Best Actor winners for instance.

Edited by Dark Miracles

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

Rooting for Tar or Banshees to win Best Picture. Everything Everywhere All At Once is cute but WAY overhyped, the other two are much more

white, boring, obvious oscar bait 

Just now, fridayteenage said:

white, boring, obvious oscar bait 

Screenshot_2017_01_22_at_2_22_37_PM.thumb.png.9bc88dba6491df5ca256862b19c99484.png

2 hours ago, Digitalism said:

That's not it. There's two reasons

That category was weak. It was either him or Tom Cruise

and the movie is critically acclaimed and I would say it has some kind of cult following. This was the Academy giving the movie something. 

Well, we aren’t sure what the reason is. But that was just a theory of mine.

We can agree that his nomination is left field though. 

2 hours ago, okgo said:

Mescal is clearly being propped as the new acting It boy, social media loves him, he was just announced as the lead of the new Gladiator sequel so its not surprising Hollywood took advantage of the moment to help push/ put his name out there more with a nom too since the performance was hyped abt. let's hope he fares better than other recent internet boyfriends tho

A young white boy? Pushed as the next male-starlet? Groundbreaking.

spacer.png

a24’s best reviewed films:

99 Moonlight
95 Past Lives
95 Aftersun
93 Lady Bird

Here for Greta Lee joining the others with an acting nom!

...also, Asian Excellence Everything Everywhere's rerelease made another $1 mil at the box office this weekend, 10 months after the debut. Longevity kween.

I personally enjoyed Tar more than EEAAO, but Cate and Michelle gave equally phenomenal performances. Cate sticking her neck out for Andrea during awards season really left a bad taste in my mouth though :rip:

Some comparisons of IMDb scores across the age groups:

Parasite: 18-29 (8.8), 30-44 (8.4), 45+ ( 8.1)

CODA: 18-29 (8.1), 30-44 (7.9), 45+ (8.0)

Green Book: 18-29 (8.3), 30-44 (8.1 ), 45+ (8.3)

EEAAO: 18-29 (8.4), 30-44 (7.9), 45+ ( 7.3)

Top Gun: 18-29 (8.4), 30-44 (8.2), 45+ (8.1)

Tbh, I prefer the maximalism of EEAAO over some of the more "restrained" and traditionally made films that I'm told to like by cinephiles :michael:  it's a lot more relatable and enjoyable to me to watch over a moody, ready for a film school analysis class, kinda movie

I like the heart of green book. It was a feel good christmas drama even tho it is white savory it still had so much heart. 

But moonlight remains the best film 

1 hour ago, R.E.M. said:

I personally enjoyed Tar more than EEAAO, but Cate and Michelle gave equally phenomenal performances. Cate sticking her neck out for Andrea during awards season really left a bad taste in my mouth though :rip:

Why?

On 1/28/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dr. Alexander said:

I couldn’t agree with this. I ultimately believe his nomination is the result of AMPAS voters being influenced by someone very respectable in the Academy.

I find it quite interesting the producer of the film is Barry Jenkins…

:coffee2:

lmao. It's fine if you didn't like the his performance, that's your opinion. But the performance and movie was *UNIVERSALLY* raved by critics and audiences. So no, there's no grand conspiracy and corruption to explain his nomination, you're just in the minuscule minority who didn't like it. That's all. :rip:

Mescal is very charming and he had great chemistry with the girl that played his daughter, but honestly the movie was mostly boring for me except for maybe the last 40 minutes and of course the ending

That escene of him in the bed though :gaycat2: 

(then I googled him I found some interesting pics of him from another of his previous works and wow :soda:) 

3 hours ago, okgo said:

This narrative that he was "pushed" by Hollywood just doesn't make sense if you simply look at his season. He got the 5th slot on the last minute, if he was being pushed he would've been smooth sailing through all the awards. Despite having one of the most acclaimed performances of the year, he was snubbed at the Globes, snubbed at the SAGs. A24 barely campaigned for him and the movie. If anything, the ones who pushed him were the BAFTA voters. 

Edited by Gui Blackout

39 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

lmao. It's fine if you didn't like the his performance, that's your opinion.

Excuse me?

His performance was perfectly fine. I just believe it wasn't worthy of a nomination, as I said in my original post. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Excuse me?

His performance was perfectly fine. I just believe it wasn't worthy of a nomination, as I said in my original post. 

Sure, then you said the only explanation for his nomination was voters being "influenced", which was the point of my post.

4 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Sure, then you said the only explanation for his nomination was voters being "influenced", which was the point of my post.

My theory, yes. We aren't sure if it's true or not, but even then, critics create and have their own agendas as well.

I just didn't see the performance as Oscar-worthy. That's all.

EEAAO is a modern classic and y'all will deal. :fan: 

With that said I'm here for TAR winning all of its nominations! It's one of those films I love the more I think about it. 

Edited by Kylizzle

1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

This narrative that he was "pushed" by Hollywood just doesn't make sense if you simply look at his season. He got the 5th slot on the last minute, if he was being pushed he would've been smooth sailing through all the awards. Despite having one of the most acclaimed performances of the year, he was snubbed at the Globes, snubbed at the SAGs. A24 barely campaigned for him and the movie. If anything, the ones who pushed him were the BAFTA voters. 

It's Hollywood that votes for the Oscars to begin with so clearly they're the ones pushing for all the nominees anyway lol

They vote for who they want to/have an interest in voting for, just look at Ms Andrea

18 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

EEAAO is literal perfection and deserves ALL the flowers it's receiving.

Preach. People are so tasteless in here.

And the fact it's completely out-of-pocket compared to what the Oscars usually nominates is groundbreaking. More weaponized dildo and butt plug fights please.

ezgif-1-8a3898bb51.thumb.gif.5731c4063df 

out of curiosity, box office yearly rankings for last 10 actress winners:

(Everything Everywhere 26, Fabelmans 57, Tar 88)

Favorite 81, Nomadland 84, Jasmine 86, Judy 90, Tammy 98, Alice 103, Room 111

La La Land 19, Linings 23, Billboards 52

Everything pretty close to the Franchise It Girls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.