95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

1 hour ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I just finished Aftersun. Can someone please explain to me as to why Paul Mescal was nominated? I didn’t see anything remotely award-worthy or even interesting about his performance. 

Frankie Corio stole every scene they were in together. I’m confused. 

I thought he was brilliant. The barely-hidden depression while trying to be there for his daughter was masterfully acted, especially the scuba diving scene and the dancing scene in particular.

Tbh Corio could've made it into leading actress if it hadn't been so competitive. My favorite child performance since Jacob Tremblay in Room 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

In the future, Academy members should just purposely violate the rules campaigning for somebody they don’t like to get their nomination revoked 🤷‍♂️

anyway, let these pressed privileged actresses whinge all they want 

7 hours ago, hausofdave said:

This could be seen as a direct violation of the Academy’s campaign rules, specifically no. 11: “References to Other Nominees. Part B reads: “any tactic that singles out ‘the competition’ by name or titles is expressly forbidden.” [End of Excerpt]

Seems like a open and shut case to me, the rule was violated. So the nomination should get rescinded. Andrea was the executive producer of To Leslie, so it’s very likely she was aware of the post on the official page  :cm:

Two weeks ago there were not set Oscar nominees yet, so that already voids the point you're trying to make

I don't think RISEborough campaign violates anything.

The post was posted prior to nomination.

10 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

I thought he was brilliant. The barely-hidden depression while trying to be there for his daughter was masterfully acted, especially the scuba diving scene and the dancing scene in particular.

Tbh Corio could've made it into leading actress if it hadn't been so competitive. My favorite child performance since Jacob Tremblay in Room 

I couldn’t agree with this. I ultimately believe his nomination is the result of AMPAS voters being influenced by someone very respectable in the Academy.

I find it quite interesting the producer of the film is Barry Jenkins…

:coffee2:

6 hours ago, Donquizote said:

I don't think RISEborough campaign violates anything.

The post was posted prior to nomination.

The irony, I-

2 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I couldn’t agree with this. I ultimately believe his nomination is the result of AMPAS voters being influenced by someone very respectable in the Academy.

I saw the performance getting wide acclaim. I think if you connect with it you love it, and if not you find it boring. 

IMO from best to worst:

1. Farrell

2. Mescal

3. Butler

4. Fraser

5. Nighy

3 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

I saw the performance getting wide acclaim. I think if you connect with it you love it, and if not you find it boring. 

IMO from best to worst:

1. Farrell

2. Mescal

3. Butler

4. Fraser

5. Nighy

I suppose.

I haven’t seen the last two performances yet but I’ll get to them as I’m going through the nominations list. Why are you putting Fraser at the bottom when he’s the front runner?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I suppose.

I haven’t seen the last two performances yet but I’ll get to them as I’m going through the nominations list. Why are you putting Fraser at the bottom when he’s the front runner?

I was talking about my preference but I think in terms of who's most likely to win, it would be Farrell > Fraser > Butler >>> Mescal/Nighy

Farrell is seen as overdue for a win + I think Bansees will overperform. Fraser is strong but is unpopular in some circles. I think there is a potential opposition for his win that Farrell doesn't have.

3 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

I was talking about my preference but I think in terms of who's most likely to win, it would be Farrell > Fraser > Butler >>> Mescal/Nighy

Farrell is seen as overdue for a win + I think Bansees will overperform. Fraser is strong but is unpopular in some circles. I think there is a potential opposition for his win that Farrell doesn't have.

Oh, I know. I’m asking why did you put him at the bottom of your ranking? You believe his performance was overrated?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Oh, I know. I’m asking why did you put him at the bottom of your ranking? You believe his performance was overrated?

Oh yes definitely. I thought that whole movie was overwrought and lame. Fraser is good but only does one thing over and over again (crying and falling all over the place) for the whole movie lmao. Hong Chau is the real star.

9 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

Oh yes definitely. I thought that whole movie was overwrought and lame. Fraser is good but only does one thing over and over again (crying and falling all over the place) for the whole movie lmao. Hong Chau is the real star.

:dies:

Mess.

Lbr, there was many other performances that deserved the spot over paul. He was ok but not oscar worthy. 

Michelle Williams kind of SNAPPED in Blue Valentine :jonny:

The lead actor in all quiet on the western front deserved a best actor nomination over some of the chosen ones :coffee:

10 hours ago, LastKiss said:

The lead actor in all quiet on the western front deserved a best actor nomination over some of the chosen ones :coffee:

Definitely, he was phenomenal

Watched EEAAO and what is this mess? :skull: Def not deserving all the praises it's getting. What kind of Rick and Morty mess.

I watched TAR and while the movie started very boring (the interview at the beginning almost made me fell asleep) it gets so much better later

Cate was amazing and honestly she has the better performance of the Best Actress nominees I've seen so far. Her and Michelle Yeoh are both deserving to win and any of them would have won over last year's nominees so Miss Chastain got very lucky.

21 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

That's not it. There's two reasons

That category was weak. It was either him or Tom Cruise

and the movie is critically acclaimed and I would say it has some kind of cult following. This was the Academy giving the movie something. 

12 hours ago, LastKiss said:

2 hours ago, Slate said:

Definitely, he was phenomenal

unknown actors in world war movies tend to be overlooked, mainly because it's considered easy acting work when you consider the context of those movies.

there's tons of exceptional war movies with incredible acting performances. but that's the problem, there's tons of them, the academy is desensitized. They're not goin to make a exception for this guy, as amazing as he was. I'd say George Mackay was even better in 1917.

he got nada.

2 hours ago, enchanted0 said:

Watched EEAAO and what is this mess? :skull: Def not deserving all the praises it's getting. What kind of Rick and Morty mess.

"feature lenght rick and morty ep for new york times readers" to be exact

and it's the frontrunner for Best Picture :alexz2: we love a classic masterpiece

21 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Mescal is clearly being propped as the new acting It boy, social media loves him, he was just announced as the lead of the new Gladiator sequel so its not surprising Hollywood took advantage of the moment to help push/ put his name out there more with a nom too since the performance was hyped abt. let's hope he fares better than other recent internet boyfriends tho

2 hours ago, enchanted0 said:

I hateeee EEAAO...my goodness what a overhyped mess

3 minutes ago, okgo said:

Mescal is clearly being propped as the new acting It boy, social media loves him, he was just announced as the lead of the new Gladiator sequel so its not surprising Hollywood took advantage of the moment to help push/ put his name out there more with a nom too since the performance was hyped abt. let's hope he fares better than other recent internet boyfriends tho

this is exactly iT. 

but then again @Gui Blackout told me that the ones campaigning harder for him was film twittter and critics and that's why he got in. it's a combination of both i guess. things are aligning well for him. there's a hollywood push for him you can't deny it.

I'm not complaining though, I'm mesmerized by this guy every time I watch him in something. give me more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.