95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

11 minutes ago, Liafen said:

dindt you say that there's no category fraud in best actress cause its the harder cat

that's right, it's not fraud since fraud means doing something to make it easier for yourself. viola clearly 1000% would have won in supporting.

but supporting roles going lead clearly have a much harder time winning. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

The outrage over Riseborough's nomination is pretty annoying. Peers actively supporting and spreading the word for your work is the literal definition of a true, genuine campaign. And like I said, this happens every year, just not with as many big names joining forces for such a little-known performance/film.

The real payola here is the exuberant amounts of money spent by big studios to spin media narratives and their borderline harrassment through advertising in order to sway voters.

Yes it sucks that Deadwyler missed (she deserved a nom for her beautiful pronunciation of eyeliD alone) but that's on De Armas and white Michelle sneaking in with subpar work backed by big studios.

Edited by Dark Miracles

Glad to see noms for Women Talking, cause I've always loved Sarah Polley's work.  Looking forward to seeing it this weekend.

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Andrea made zero noise in the lead up to the Oscars which is the red flag here. It's not like she was getting recognition from some critics and missing major noms, she was out of the conversation entirely. It blatantly looks like she just called up her friends and asked them to use their connections for votes (because that's exactly what happened). That makes any argument that she was nominated on the merit of her performance nonexistent. One can make the argument that the Oscars and Hollywood are all about nepotism anyway so it doesn't matter, but quite literally nobody was checking for her a month ago and it's so sus that she's the only person that has been nominated this way.

Right like...why did they WAIT until Oscar voting started to say literally anything about her 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Right like...why did they WAIT until Oscar voting started to say literally anything about her 

Because it's a key moment in the voting; a lot of members wait until the very last minute to cast their ballots. If anything it was a very smart effort on the part of the people who went to bat for her (many of them being part of the actor's branch)

the entire drama around Riseborough is serving pump and dump. She was put to the spotlight with the possible hopes of diverting certain votes and now that the deal is done she gets (or is about to be) ostracized as the no name outsider that she is...

Suddenly the narrative of certain fan here changes :eatpopcorn:

It's ok for Meryl to win her third over Viola, while it's not ok for Cate (with the best performance) to win her third one.

Just say that you hate Cate winning her third one.

23 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

Suddenly the narrative of certain fan here changes :eatpopcorn:

It's ok for Meryl to win her third over Viola, while it's not ok for Cate (with the best performance) to win her third one.

Just say that you hate Cate winning her third one.

has yeoh said she regrets taking her role, or did she say it's a role she's been waiting for for a lifetime?

is she supporting, or is this possibly the first movie ever to win BP with a WOC lead?

it's almost like not every circumstance is exactly the same. 

yall are STILL talking about Andrea Riseborough? 

be mad at Ana de Armas and Netflix for that crazy nomination for Blonde.  Danielle Deadwyler should've taken Ana's spot and this would be a great lineup. 

I bought To Leslie last night and she definitely deserves over Ana, Viola, Margot, Emma Thompson, etc.  She gave a great performance and it was just in a film that had no backing by a studio.

1 hour ago, Riot said:

To Leslie

Box office

$27,322

dTahQAG.gif

that's only like 1.8k people :monkey:

more people watch YT videos every single second than have ever seen this fad movie

here's lovely clip for y'all to seethe over

she really said "i don't work for you peasants, i work for me". we love to see it :heart2:

and I also find it funny that both Williams and Hong Chau starred in a movie together that made pretty good waves at the Cannes Festival and other festivals (81/100 MC and 93% on RT) but A24 couldn't secure a release date for 2022 because it would've clashed with 'Fablemans' and 'The Whale' awards campaign.

studio strategy that worked out for both of them, both actress nominated for oscars. but that movie will only be released this year, way too late and in complete anonymity. it's the sad fate of way more indie movies than we think.

1 minute ago, Eóghan said:

also I find it funny that both Williams and Hong Chau starred in a movie together that made pretty good waves at the Cannes Festival and other festivals (81/100 MC and 93% on RT) but A24 couldn't secure a release date for 2022 because it would've clashed with 'Fablemans' and 'The Whale' awards campaign. studio strategy that worked out for both of them, both actress nominated for oscars. but that movie will only be released next year, way too late and in complete anonymity. it's the sad fate of way more indie movies than we think.

ooo they're taking it. we will be watching when it releases publicly:alexz3: 

4 minutes ago, McNulty said:

I think Riseboroug will take away votes from Cate IMO

Cate Blanchett represents the white establishment i.e. voters who watch Top Gun 10 times and can't come up with enough movies to nominate in Best Picture, while Riseborough and Yeoh are backed by passion i.e. voters who actually care about the race and watch movies in contention.

1 minute ago, family.guy123 said:

So her latest movie grossed $27,000 and you think an Oscar nomination will hurt her career. Riight

there's not a career to hurt :monkey:

5 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

here's lovely clip for y'all to seethe over

she really said "i don't work for you peasants, i work for me". we love to see it :heart2:

and I also find it funny that both Williams and Hong Chau starred in a movie together that made pretty good waves at the Cannes Festival and other festivals (81/100 MC and 93% on RT) but A24 couldn't secure a release date for 2022 because it would've clashed with 'Fablemans' and 'The Whale' awards campaign.

studio strategy that worked out for both of them, both actress nominated for oscars. but that movie will only be released this year, way too late and in complete anonymity. it's the sad fate of way more indie movies than we think.

I mean it's a kelly movie. They always get acclaim and make like two dollars

5 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

but that movie will only be released next year, way too late and in complete anonymity. it's the sad fate of way more indie movies than we think.

Kelly Reichardt's films will never make a dent in Academy circles. :rip: They are completely antithetical to Oscar favorites

And God forbid the acting branch of the Academy actually vote for someone outside of who critics and award shows have been telling them they should be voting for the last few months (with campaigns paid for by large studios). Did their job for once. 

I kind of hated To Leslie though 

Spoiler

The last twenty minutes were beyond corny. Watch Sherrybaby for a much better version.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.