95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

Honestly I was rooting for Blanchett for the longest but the way she interfered in Andrea's campaign is icky for me. I'm sure she didn't think it would actually work and kick Deadwyler out in the process but still it's a bad look. 

I'm fine with all the other actress who fought for Andrea (although I feel bad for her, she didn't ask for any of this controversy) but when you're in the running you shouldn't be obstructing in the race in any way. It really screams privilege because you've already been nominated a million times and already won, so lemme intrude in the voting of my own category, who cares ...

God I can't wait for Viola Davis to call this **** out in a interview like she's done in the past.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

My Oscar predictions pre-BAFTA & -SAG:

Best Picture: "Everything Everywhere All At Once"
Best Director: Steven Spielberg

Best Actor: Austin Butler

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh
Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Best Adapted Screenplay: “Women Talking”

Best Original Screenplay: "Everything Everywhere All At Once"

Below the line categories:

Spoiler

Best Cinematography: “All Quiet on the Western Front”

Best Documentary Feature Film: “All the Beauty and the Bloodshed”

Best Film Editing: “Top Gun: Maverick”

Best International Feature Film: “All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany) 

Best Original Song: “Lift Me Up”

Best Production Design: "Elvis"

Best Visual Effects: "Avatar: The Way of Water"

Best Animated Feature Film: “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”

Best Costume Design: “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: "Elvis"

Best Original Score: "The Fablemans"

Best Sound: “Top Gun: Maverick”

Roman Holiday
9 hours ago, D/X said:

Critics should be ashamed they didn't get behind an indie overlooked film and performance such as To Leslie. Instead they jumped the Twitter bandwagon by pushing EEAAO or RRR. :deadbanana4: 

Anyways, happy for Andrea but still sad for Viola. Haven't watched Danielle, but I bet she gave a masterclass considering her work in Station Eleven... she robbed the entire series.

On the other hand, the mental gymnastics Twitter is making to prove that EEAAO will not suffer the same curse as past nomination leaders is beyond laughable. Even if at this point we know it will get BP... 

How can you be shamed for ignoring something nobody even knew existed until yesterday?

spacer.png

Film Twitter and FilmTok FUMING at Ana. I love to see it. These losers should direct their anger towards Andrea and White Michelle instead.

KYtBoeg.gif

11 hours ago, Vin said:

GagaCantActSoWeLaugh.jpg

In any case, talented and critically-acclaimed actor Michael Fassbender (who is critically-acclaimed for actually being a good actor and will eventually win an Academy Award for acting and not frivolous other Oscar categories) will be nominated next year for David Fincher's "The Killer."

...Vin

Michael Fassbender is a woman beater.

9 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Reminder that AMPAS gave Meryl third Oscar for playing an SNL parody of Margaret Thatcher although Viola was there with a better performance :toofunny3:

So sad that Tang Wei was not nominated although her performance was miles better than some nominees in Best Actress category.

a supporting role that viola expressed regret at doing in the first place

39 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Film Twitter and FilmTok FUMING at Ana. I love to see it. These losers should direct their anger towards Andrea and White Michelle instead.

KYtBoeg.gif

Oop. 

KYtBoeg.gif

i honestly dont think it is fair though you can make precursors and then just be swapped last minute. It feels like a reality tv show 'wildcard' tea.
It's getting to the point where you need a really specific route to be safe - any weakness i.e. film released too long ago, looking too safe, film panned and you are -OUT
KYtBoeg.gif

Also its interesting ausitn butler is doing all that Gaga shtick but people love it. the power of an acclaimed film vehicle nnn
KYtBoeg.gif

2 hours ago, Green said:

Mommie Dearest teas  :rip: 

Embarrasing movie 
Poor girl did her best but the movie sucks. You can't do much with those dialogues and basic acting skills 

15 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Cate will deservedly win THAT OSCAR because she is at another level than other nominees.

a lot of people are dragging her in the Andrea mess
So Michelle chances are going up 

It's so funny how Cate is catching these strays over this Andrea mess when she was also advocating for Tang Wei, but everyone seems to ignore that.

4 minutes ago, Feanor said:

It's so funny how Cate is catching these strays over this Andrea mess when she was also advocating for Tang Wei, but everyone seems to ignore that.

She also just mentioned Andrea and Tang in an acceptance speech where she also praised all of her fellow nominees... everyone is acting like she went and chained herself to the steps of the Academy museum :rip: Meryl did the same thing when she won her Globe for The Iron Lady  

Edited by Blue Monday

1 hour ago, State of Grace. said:

KYtBoeg.gif

Just White Michelle Williams for Spielberg's masturbatory love letter to himself

spacer.png

The Academy obviously loved Tar and Cate's performance will have passionate supporters. This is why I think Yeoh will fall short in the end.

I mean, Viola was NOT the lead in the help. While I agree I would've chosen her over Meryl, category fraud is just studios playing dumb. 

4 minutes ago, TheLastChord said:

I mean, Viola was NOT the lead in the help. While I agree I would've chosen her over Meryl, category fraud is just studios playing dumb. 

In the same way Olivia Colman wasn't the clear lead in The Favourite. Emma Stone could have easily been placed lead instead of Olivia if the studio wanted to campaign that way. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but Grace Randolph spilled. The Academy is 100% gaslighting BIPOC performers when they throw buzz words around like 'diversity' and 'equity' while continuing to snub our community during the nomination/awards season.

• white Michelle should've been moved to Supporting
  • Andrea should've been -OUT
  • Danielle and Viola should've been -IN.

I finally can comment on the noms after being comment banned lol.

But...the andrea situation feels icky and privellaged. Especially when your friend tells voters HOW many votes you need AND that the others are already locks so just vote for andrea. Did they watch to leslie? Maybe. But i feel like many just voted for her without even watching the film.

Danielle deserves that nom. And viola prob should of went supporting but i still would of liked to see her get in.

37 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

I finally can comment on the noms after being comment banned lol.

But...the andrea situation feels icky and privellaged. Especially when your friend tells voters HOW many votes you need AND that the others are already locks so just vote for andrea. Did they watch to leslie? Maybe. But i feel like many just voted for her without even watching the film.

Danielle deserves that nom. And viola prob should of went supporting but i still would of liked to see her get in.

Not more privilege than studio plants campaigning for huge actors left and right, it's just what it is, and Andrea won it this time

1 hour ago, Hector said:

In the same way Olivia Colman wasn't the clear lead in The Favourite. Emma Stone could have easily been placed lead instead of Olivia if the studio wanted to campaign that way. 

The categories should be selected arbitrary by screen time, and not placed by studio so frauds stopped hapenning

WMW at least had a case where she was likely bottom 2 w the strength of her film securing her nod, same w De 'Armas hitting 3/4 precursors; but  Andrea's phishy payola'd campaign where even Fisher had the nerves to post Davis & Deadwyler were locked just to secure more #1's for Riseborough is something that will definitely set future precedents if the Academy leaves it be

Andrea made zero noise in the lead up to the Oscars which is the red flag here. It's not like she was getting recognition from some critics and missing major noms, she was out of the conversation entirely. It blatantly looks like she just called up her friends and asked them to use their connections for votes (because that's exactly what happened). That makes any argument that she was nominated on the merit of her performance nonexistent. One can make the argument that the Oscars and Hollywood are all about nepotism anyway so it doesn't matter, but quite literally nobody was checking for her a month ago and it's so sus that she's the only person that has been nominated this way.

So... the main 4 precursors went to:

Cate Blanchett: SAG + CC + GG Drama + BAFTA (BP contender)

Michelle Yeoh: SAG + CC + GG Comedy + BAFTA (BP contender)

White Michelle Williams: CC + GG Drama (BP contender)

Ana de Armas: GG Drama + SAG + BAFTA (sole nomination)

Andrea Riseborough: N/A

---

Viola Davis: SAG + CC + GG Drama + BAFTA

Danielle Deadwyler: SAG + CC + BAFTA

Viola is an interesting case - as I understand, her movie was somewhat controversial with the black community, but she is a beloved legend and critically the movie did ok, plus it picked up nominations other than her at other award ceremonies. 

What I find really disgusting is that The Academy, as well as industry bodies like SAG and BAFTA (I expected something like this from the Golden Globes so no surprise there) chose to reward a performance in a movie that is basically desecrating the grave of Marilyn Monroe over Till, a movie that tells the story of Emmett Till's mother trying to uncover the truth and bring justice to the tragedy that was her son's death.:rip::biblionny:

Blonde.png

till.png

3 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

a supporting role that viola expressed regret at doing in the first place

dindt you say that there's no category fraud in best actress cause its the harder cat

KYtBoeg.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.