95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

Tbh I'm perfectly fine with Ana and Andrea snatching noms. Both are inspired and deserving picks. If anyone stole the nom from Danielle, it was Michelle Williams. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Just now, EnigmaticAndroid said:

Tbh I'm perfectly fine with Ana and Andrea snatching noms. Both are inspired and deserving picks. If anyone stole the nom from Danielle, it was Michelle Williams. 

Iirc, in modern history the actress lineup is majority solo nominees iff the designated winner is a solo nominee. So a danielle ana Andrea lineup is implausible with how weak their films are, when we all think it's a yeoh blanchett showdown

Yes, we're talking about BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE. And that title belongs to Michelle Yeoh. She was out of this world and above everyone else. No amount of privilege can change that. :wave2:

Edited by Blade Runner

6 hours ago, kandicha said:

This happened before, Casey Affleck didn’t come back to give an Oscar in 2018 because of MeToo. Looking at Wikipedia, they recruited Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence to give out Best Actress instead… so they’ll probably recruit whichever legend is available to give Best Actress out instead.

Oh so they gender-alternate the previous year to decide who presents? I’ve never noticed that. 

4 hours ago, Marianah Adkins said:

This is actually quite subtle to be honest. She didnt get the big time campaign slots, its the classic power of word of mouth spurred by her popular friends which in turn created a groundswell of support for her within the acting community. I think in her case, her groundswell was just gradual hence why she didnt get in any precursors. 

I think it’s a different because Andrea used her already established connections while a POC like Danielle might have not had the same circle of friends to promote to. 

Brendan Fraser needs a fatsuit to transform into character, Cate Blanchett just needs her talent

Donquizote

21 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Yes, we're talking about BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE. And that title belongs to Michelle Yeoh. She was out of this world and above everyone else. No amount of privilege can change that. :wave2:

:giraffe:

So happy for Paul and Stephanie.

5 hours ago, hausofdave said:

spacer.png

:deadbanana:

Andrea reminded us how easy it is for white people to get nominated/win awards.

AMPAS could use this as Yeoh’s nominee clip :eli:

2 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

Brendan Fraser needs a fatsuit to transform into character, Cate Blanchett just needs her talent

Donquizote

GagaCantActSoWeLaugh.jpg

In any case, talented and critically-acclaimed actor Michael Fassbender (who is critically-acclaimed for actually being a good actor and will eventually win an Academy Award for acting and not frivolous other Oscar categories) will be nominated next year for David Fincher's "The Killer."

...Vin

Edited by Vin

TÁR's over performance today solidified Blanchett's win. EEAAO will have many other places to reward the film whereas the former would likely see its only win here and the fact the actors branch just snubbed two black contenders without a care in the world, i doubt narrative would really affect the race this late

31 minutes ago, Broken said:

:deadbanana:

Andrea reminded us how easy it is for white people to get nominated/win awards.

Yeah… this is terrible. When Hollywood says they’re gonna change for the better, they always revert back to old ways. Oscars (and the industry as a whole) continue to cater to a group of rich white people.

Shows the true disconnect Hollywood has from the general public who goes to theaters, while also snubbing deserving talent.

Hopefully Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett win and not whoever has the most connections!

Anyone else hoping Brendan doesn't win... Colin gave a masterclass in range and acting while Brendan did the same thing for 2 hours. 

7 hours ago, akoaytao1234 said:

Ana De Armas's nomination is a blasphemy.

...If it only ends up being a nomination and not a win, agreed !!!!

KYtBoeg.gif

8 hours ago, hausofdave said:

spacer.png

if they left this at Danielle Deadwyler only it would be a valid argument.  Viola Davis is one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood and nearly every project she's in gets attention and buzz just for the sheer fact she's in it.  

Viola didn't get nominated because she probably ranked 4 or 5 on everyone's ballots, while the others had people rank them higher. Amy Adams in Arrival teas.  It happen every year with someone that hits all of the precursors but isnt a frontrunner .  Same with Danielle Deadwyler.  White Michelle probably fell into this category but perhaps got more #3 votes than the others to slip in the 5th slot. 

Blonde was divisive and while a lot of people probably didn't rank her top 5, she probably got a lot of 1-3 votes from people that loved it.  Cate & Michelle Yeoh have been defacto 1 and 2 so that explains them.  

Andrea Riseborough's campaign knew and spread the word that they needed to rank her #1 for her to be able to overcome lack of widespread recognition. 

Maybe if prominent black actresses had rallied for Danielle they could've done the same and pushed out White Michelle. 

Edited by kgeezy310

Ke Huy Quan and the Daniels winning without Michelle Yeoh when she is the whole reason the movie worked is going to be a mess. 

1 hour ago, hausofdave said:

TÁR's over performance today solidified Blanchett's win. EEAAO will have many other places to reward the film whereas the former would likely see its only win here and the fact the actors branch just snubbed two black contenders without a care in the world, i doubt narrative would really affect the race this late

this is a really annoying argument that the racists could latch onto.

lead WOC nominated in a film with few other noms: your movie's not strong enough!

lead WOC nominated in a film that gets in everywhere: your movie's too strong!

are they only allowed to have a chance of winning if they're half white in a movie written, directed, and led by white men? 

Critics should be ashamed they didn't get behind an indie overlooked film and performance such as To Leslie. Instead they jumped the Twitter bandwagon by pushing EEAAO or RRR. :deadbanana4: 

Anyways, happy for Andrea but still sad for Viola. Haven't watched Danielle, but I bet she gave a masterclass considering her work in Station Eleven... she robbed the entire series.

On the other hand, the mental gymnastics Twitter is making to prove that EEAAO will not suffer the same curse as past nomination leaders is beyond laughable. Even if at this point we know it will get BP... 

Edited by D/X

I guess it depends. I’m sure a lot of diehards will vote Yeoh/Quan/Curtis and EEAAO down the line. I can totally see Yeoh winning. 

I don’t really think anything’s a lock but Quan. 

Hot take, Viola is a queen no doubt, I however wasn’t that impressed by her performance in Woman King! Great acting without a doubt but this one wasn’t a standout for me. Loved that all black cast and what they did but the movie was a B at best!  

Reminder that Michael Fassbender is an abuser and dragged his ex with a car. 

OT: Everything Everywhere All At Once for all the awards.

Reminder that AMPAS gave Meryl third Oscar for playing an SNL parody of Margaret Thatcher although Viola was there with a better performance :toofunny3:

So sad that Tang Wei was not nominated although her performance was miles better than some nominees in Best Actress category.

6 hours ago, Donquizote said:

When they announce Bryan T Henry as a nominee, for a second I thought Lawrence would get nominated too :toofunny3:

Gone was the day when Lawrence got nominated for everything. :rip:

Well Harvey is in jail now, her time’s up.

And yeah Viola was good but was not enough for a nom.

The way the Academy saw through it and said no to Brad Pitt’s She Said.

I hope that Butler pulls a stunt and wins, I’m surprised that Mescal got a nom, and I’ve yet to see Banshees and The Whale but that category will be interesting, it’s Farrell vs Brendan vs Butler.

I’m surprised at Triangle of Sadness getting love, it was funny but got annoying quickly, I hope that The Fabelmans wins Best Picture, EEAAO was too quirky for my taste.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.