95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

Andrea’s nom is shocking but not really unfamiliar. Back in 1988, the year Cher won, Sally got a nod for Anna using the same guerilla tactics. Melisa Leo in 2008 did the same although hers was more in-your-face and shameless. Marcia Gay Harden back in 2001 also won on the same trajectory, barely getting on any precursors as well (tho in her case, Pollock was kind of a contender so). 
It is true that in the social media age where narratives are as important as the performances, it may represent a shift in campaigning tactics. Unlike the other actresses I have mentioned, her film was literally cult and criminally underlooked. Not to be the devil’s advocate, but I believe that the groundswell of support for her was genuine and out of appreciation. Word of mouth can go a long way..

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

Indeed, starting way back in October — shortly after Howard Stern, a friend of To Leslie director Michael Morris, talked up To Leslie on his hugely popular SiriusXM radio show — they and their allies convinced a ton of A-list actors, some with whom Riseborough has worked (e.g. Demi Moore), others who have admired her from afar (e.g. Sarah Paulson), to check out the film and then, if they felt inspired to do so, to post about her performance on social media (e.g. Susan Sarandon, Helen Hunt, Zooey Deschanel, Mira Sorvino, Constance Zimmer, Rosie O’Donnell, Alan Cumming and Riseborough’s Birdman costar Edward Norton did so, with Norton tweeting that her performance “just knocked me sideways,” and Melanie Lynskey tweeting “I’ve always worshipped her, but even for her this is next level”) and/or to “host” a screening/Q&A/virtual event to highlight it (Charlize Theron, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Minnie Driver, Gwyneth Paltrow, Amy Adams, Frances Fisher and Kate Winslet did just that, and Winslet, who is working with Riseborough on a film right now, declared at hers, “I think this is the greatest female performance on screen I have ever seen in my life”).

Others did what they could to call attention to Riseborough in other ways: Cate Blanchett gave Riseborough a shout out in her televised acceptance speech at the Critics Choice Awards; and Riseborough’s To Leslie costar Marc Maron had her on his popular podcast.

This is perhaps the most shameless campaign I have ever seen :deadbanana4:

This is actually quite subtle to be honest. She didnt get the big time campaign slots, its the classic power of word of mouth spurred by her popular friends which in turn created a groundswell of support for her within the acting community. I think in her case, her groundswell was just gradual hence why she didnt get in any precursors. 

50 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

‘The Woman King’ was outright snubbed. 

The controversy surrounding ‘TCP’ made no sense, whatever the case, even today, because it was adapted from a novel written by a Black woman; its content was and should’ve been irrelevant. Also, it most likely would never have been made (at the time) if it wasn’t for Steven Spielberg reading the book and taking huge interest in it. That said it was mostly acclaimed by critics and the GP - only a select group complained about it. 

I haven’t seen the film yet, but considering how controversial the portrayal and backstory of The Woman King is, that would be the only reason as to why it was completely shut out by the Academy. I hadn’t even seen the film, but I was still seeing and hearing the fires around it from viewers in person and online. I find it similar to what happened with Purple.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t just a select group that complained about Purple. There were numerous protests around the country with thousands of people involved, and important people from the NAACP were speaking out against the film too. They had thought it was the wrong representation for us. But, I must mention after doing a research paper on media perception when I was in college, it was proven by statistics that other races learned about AA solely from television and film. Therefore, their outbursts were kind of valid. Plus, you must remember The Cosby Show was the #1 show at the time.

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Ana De Armas in one of the most polarising films to ever be made (and was mostly panned) is hilarious. 

I still can’t believe this. If I speak…

When Jada Pinkett Smith awards Cate Blanchett her third Oscar :jonny: TABS 

its not to late for the AMPAS to pull an Amy Adams circa ‘16 and give Deadwyler her much deserved stolen nomination 

21 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Push through De Armas and Close !

ATRL Member "Alyssa Edwards" won.

When it's right it's right.

KYtBoeg.gif

Ana De Armas's nomination is a blasphemy. She's in a movie that ridiculed a literal legendary female actress. Also, Michelle Williams should have been snubbed.  

I believe 16 out of the 20 nominees in the acting categories are first-timers. :clap3:

How the hell Andrea got in Best Actress? :bibliahh: Is actors' payola like the old days back? It was so shameless, especially that post from Frances Fisher. :toofunny2:

Andrea is a fantastic actress, but getting your first nomination at the expenses of black actress is not a good look at all. That category remains whiter than ever.

Oscar nominee Alice Rohrwacher sounds so good and she's probably is winning Live Action short, but Alfonso Cuaron could get his fifth too.:biblionny:

The chokehold the Three Amigos have on the Academy is too much. Bardo deserved nothing, but surprise! it got a Cinematography nom over Top Gun 2. :toofunny3:  

Michelle Williams' SNL level performance deserved nothing, if Danielle would got in instead of her. That would have been a great lineup.

The Academy seemed to have had enough of South Korea after Parasite, how did they snub Decision to Leave? 

36 minutes ago, Hector said:

Indeed, starting way back in October — shortly after Howard Stern, a friend of To Leslie director Michael Morris, talked up To Leslie on his hugely popular SiriusXM radio show — they and their allies convinced a ton of A-list actors, some with whom Riseborough has worked (e.g. Demi Moore), others who have admired her from afar (e.g. Sarah Paulson), to check out the film and then, if they felt inspired to do so, to post about her performance on social media (e.g. Susan Sarandon, Helen Hunt, Zooey Deschanel, Mira Sorvino, Constance Zimmer, Rosie O’Donnell, Alan Cumming and Riseborough’s Birdman costar Edward Norton did so, with Norton tweeting that her performance “just knocked me sideways,” and Melanie Lynskey tweeting “I’ve always worshipped her, but even for her this is next level”) and/or to “host” a screening/Q&A/virtual event to highlight it (Charlize Theron, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Minnie Driver, Gwyneth Paltrow, Amy Adams, Frances Fisher and Kate Winslet did just that, and Winslet, who is working with Riseborough on a film right now, declared at hers, “I think this is the greatest female performance on screen I have ever seen in my life”).

Others did what they could to call attention to Riseborough in other ways: Cate Blanchett gave Riseborough a shout out in her televised acceptance speech at the Critics Choice Awards; and Riseborough’s To Leslie costar Marc Maron had her on his popular podcast.

This is perhaps the most shameless campaign I have ever seen :deadbanana4:

I think that is just normal. You talk to people who talk to people to give your movie a little bit of life. The good thing is this doesn't always work, and it just happen to work for her.

The power of Kate Winslet :jonny5:

So happy for Andrea. 

Cate is LOCKED for the win me thinks.

MGM sucks at campaigning and while I feel bad for Viola, my heart absolutely breaks for Danielle. 

More people are talking about Andrea situation

Some random youtuber said that she came personally to talk about her movie and ask him to watch the movie and do promo

I can see this strategy working in the future. I mean a win is impossible because of the blacklash but to get a nom for someone like Andrea is already huge
Poor Danielle did every major publication and got snubbed. Asking the right people to vote for you is what works 

The fact that critics mostly abandoned Andrea this season :toofunny3: The only one that pushed Andrea was Chicago critics and they got 4/5 Best Actress right.

That's the type of performance that usually receives a lot critic mentions in the past.

Giving a white woman a 3rd (!!!) Oscar when an asian thespian with a MUCH better performance is right there is so TACKY. :mazen:

Some of y’all are acting like the groundswell for Andrea is any different than studios sinking millions of dollars on press and FYC events, getting people in front of talent and parading them around. Awards season is nothing more than glad handing and people rewarding their peers/friends. I understand the shock over the fact that a largely unseen contender made it in, but they played by the same rules everyone else did. They targeted the branch they needed to and got results. It’s all political 

Edited by Blue Monday

When they announce Bryan T Henry as a nominee, for a second I thought Lawrence would get nominated too :toofunny3:

Gone was the day when Lawrence got nominated for everything. :rip:

10 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Giving a white woman a 3rd (!!!) Oscar 

yes 

Donquizote

AMPAS are going to vote for BEST ACTRESS.

Cate will deservedly win THAT OSCAR because she is at another level than other nominees.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.