95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

29 minutes ago, Slate said:

A fraud I fear

KYtBoeg.gif

Let me watch her movie tho

KYtBoeg.gif

Kate Winslet called To Leslie "the best female performance EVER" during a Q&A she hosted for Andea right before the voting period closed.

KYtBoeg.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2023/01/16/kate-winslet-praises-to-leslie-for-the-best-female-performance-ever-18109641/amp/

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Dano's omission is also really strange. He had a banner year with another great performance in The Batman and he was contending for a Spielberg film that got a lot of other noms, AND his cameo co-star got in.

Speaking of The Batman, that Cinematography miss is awful. Greig Fraser won last year so not that bad but still a bad miss.

Marcel made it :heart: Still the best picture of the year IMO

Ana got in :bibliahh: yall be fuming for sure :clap3: congrats queen.. She was amazing in it. 

And im sorry but Batman deserved best picture nom.. Idgaf

Also who is this Pedro and why do we love him so much? 

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

Nobody, NOBODY can convince me/us now that HMM is a bad song. :clap3:4 times nominated and 1 time winner Academy Award Lady Gaga did that, once again. :clap3:

Rooting for Everywhere...to take all the categories. :jonnycat:

Watch them give the legendary David Byrne his 2nd Oscar. His song is from the most nominated movie after all

16 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Who’s going to present Michelle Y her Oscar since Will is banned?

This happened before, Casey Affleck didn’t come back to give an Oscar in 2018 because of MeToo. Looking at Wikipedia, they recruited Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence to give out Best Actress instead… so they’ll probably recruit whichever legend is available to give Best Actress out instead.

I am surprised to see Tom missing from Best Actor, in addition to Ana showing up in Best Actress. 

The Academy shutting out The Woman King is not surprising, though. It reminds me of when they shut The Color Purple at the ceremony but it was simply because the black community was so divided on the film. Half protested against it, and the other half praised it. The Academy didn’t want to take that risk.

10 minutes ago, kandicha said:

This happened before, Casey Affleck didn’t come back to give an Oscar in 2018 because of MeToo. Looking at Wikipedia, they recruited Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence to give out Best Actress instead… so they’ll probably recruit whichever legend is available to give Best Actress out instead.

perched for Tomlin and Fonda or Streep to present Yeoh with her award :heart:

Nope was R O B B E D from Sound and Costume btw. 

I really think it was a pretty weak year for movies and the selection shows that. I really wished Bones and All would have had at least Rylance and the script as a nomination.

My quick thoughts on the Best Pic nominees:

• All Quiet on the Western Front

Very strong movie, but not extraordinary either.

Script was dull, visually incredible. Deserved a nod for that category.

• The Banshees of Inisherin

Thought it was boring af. But not a fan of Martin anyway, his movies never lands with me.

• Elvis

Not as great as I thought it would be. It was both too cautious and too crazy for a Baz movie.

• Everything Everywhere All at Once

25 mn too long. Great movie as a whole, but I think only Hsu deserve a nod for acting. I love Michelle but I wasn't OMG and def got annoyed with the whole narrative around Quan. He's just not that good. He fits the part, no more no less. 

• The Fabelmans

Surprisingly I really liked it. Paul Dano should have had a nom, and Michelle should have competed in Supporting.

• Tár

Strong movie. 

• Top Gun: Maverick

What Avatar 2 should have been. My bet for the winner of BP.

• Triangle of Sadness

Thought it was too easy but fun overall.

• Women Talking 

Strong movie, def not BP worthy but great performances.

Brendon Fraser :clap3:

Everything Everywhere All At Once :clap3:

Cast of EEAAO :clap3:

Turning Red :clap3:

2 hours ago, wehan6 said:

FnPqUFAXkAIK1Ci?format=jpg&name=4096x409

:redface:

:ahh:

It seems like those voters didn't have too much passion for Viola and Danielle's performances after all because if not they would have voted for them no matter what  :michael:

5 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Danielle is probably safe; she got both SAG and BAFTA and only missed out at the Globes and they have no overlap with the voting body at the Oscars. 

Yeoh and Blanchett are pretty far ahead, I would say she's running a comfortable third rn with her only major win being at the Gotham awards. 

She didn’t make it.

:weeps:

danielle was the only bafta nominee in the category who was 100% a jury save so she wasn't a lock.

i still predicted her over ana tho. 

Blonde/Leslie both got 0 other noms; Woman King/Till both got 0 noms. This is probably a big part of why Michelle got in since the voters were guaranteed to watch her film.

Edited by fridayteenage

BTW, what is Andrea doing in the best actress category? :bibliahh:We know for sure who is not gonna win that category. :bibliahh:

29 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I am surprised to see Tom missing from Best Actor, in addition to Ana showing up in Best Actress. 

The Academy shutting out The Woman King is not surprising, though. It reminds me of when they shut The Color Purple at the ceremony but it was simply because the black community was so divided on the film. Half protested against it, and the other half praised it. The Academy didn’t want to take that risk.

‘The Woman King’ was outright snubbed. 

The controversy surrounding ‘TCP’ made no sense, whatever the case, even today, because it was adapted from a novel written by a Black woman; its content was and should’ve been irrelevant. Also, it most likely would never have been made (at the time) if it wasn’t for Steven Spielberg reading the book and taking huge interest in it. That said it was mostly acclaimed by critics and the GP - only a select group complained about it. 

I don’t understand how Viola Davis and Thuso Mbedu didn’t score a nom. for their respective categories, yet Andrea Riseborough did. 

:rip:

Also, if we’re talking controversies, the academy nominating Ana De Armas in one of the most polarising films to ever be made (and was mostly panned) is hilarious. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

3 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

danielle was the only bafta nominee in the category who was 100% a jury save so she wasn't a lock.

i still predicted her over ana tho. 

I can’t believe Danielle Deawyler wasn’t nominated. 

I’m so upset. She absolutely deserved to be recognised and her performance was incredible. 

After her SAG and BAFTA nom. I was certain she would be.

💔

ugh i hate how twitter is dragging ana :chick3: she literally got in everywhere for that panned mess why are people acting like her nomination came out of nowhere

like direct your anger towards white michelle and the white women who campaigned for andrea please and thank you

KYtBoeg.gif

Edited by wehan6

15 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

She didn’t make it.

:weeps:

Total shocker, honestly. She was the only other contender besides Michelle and Cate winning anything major :rip:

Hopefully this serves as a launchpad for her career going forward. 

2 hours ago, Coma Baby said:

This is why I love the I(ates.

KYtBoeg.gif

the what now 

KYtBoeg.gif

5 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

The Decision to Leave snub.... make it make sense

Large step down from the cinematic and writing wonder that was The Handmaiden :michael:

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

NOBODY can convince me/us now that HMM is a bad song.

Being convinced ?! Don't you have ears ? :huh:

1 hour ago, Riot said:

I've just realized that Frances McDormand is nominated for Best Picture :skull:

She's an icon, she's a legend, and she is the moment. now come on now

KYtBoeg.gif

Indeed, starting way back in October — shortly after Howard Stern, a friend of To Leslie director Michael Morris, talked up To Leslie on his hugely popular SiriusXM radio show — they and their allies convinced a ton of A-list actors, some with whom Riseborough has worked (e.g. Demi Moore), others who have admired her from afar (e.g. Sarah Paulson), to check out the film and then, if they felt inspired to do so, to post about her performance on social media (e.g. Susan Sarandon, Helen Hunt, Zooey Deschanel, Mira Sorvino, Constance Zimmer, Rosie O’Donnell, Alan Cumming and Riseborough’s Birdman costar Edward Norton did so, with Norton tweeting that her performance “just knocked me sideways,” and Melanie Lynskey tweeting “I’ve always worshipped her, but even for her this is next level”) and/or to “host” a screening/Q&A/virtual event to highlight it (Charlize Theron, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Minnie Driver, Gwyneth Paltrow, Amy Adams, Frances Fisher and Kate Winslet did just that, and Winslet, who is working with Riseborough on a film right now, declared at hers, “I think this is the greatest female performance on screen I have ever seen in my life”).

Others did what they could to call attention to Riseborough in other ways: Cate Blanchett gave Riseborough a shout out in her televised acceptance speech at the Critics Choice Awards; and Riseborough’s To Leslie costar Marc Maron had her on his popular podcast.

This is perhaps the most shameless campaign I have ever seen :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.