• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

How up it’s own a$$ does Bardo have to be to be called pretentious at VENICE

those rave reviews for tar are so pretentiously written. lord only knows what watching it will be like.

interesting that todd field and cate are both straight and making a queer story. 

better than co-star noemie merlant though, groomer extraordinaire who apparently started dating a 16 year old when she was twice his age, then made a movie about it. 

Edited by fridayteenage

9 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Maverick rises! 

Atp I think it could end up Top 5 in BP and maybe Cruise gets into BA with contenders dropping like flies. The industry clearly ADORES it and it has very broad appeal 

Anyone going to TIFF? I am and I'm seeing The Woman King, The Fablemans, My Policeman and hopefully Empire of Light :jonny6:

I'm going to TIFF! The excitement is ELECTRIC. This is my first in-person festival as last year didn't count--I wasn't a TIFF member and half of the films I saw were digital. I am seeing a combination of smaller/indie/international films and mainstream/buzzier films. I made my schedule based on the synopsis and thumbnail for each film. Beyond that, I don't know anything. I'm seeing:

• La Jauria: Seems to resemble The Hunger Games based on the plot, but Colombian. I don't know anything else. However, it was also just released today that Taylor Swift will be at the festival to screen All Too Well and have a Q&A after. That conflicts with this movie. If I get tickets to Taylor's event, then I won't be seeing this one.
  • Emily: Big fan of Mauve/Emma Mackey from Sex Education. She plays Emily Bronte here. I'm hoping she makes an appearance!
  • Allelujah: Judi Dench in a retirement home. Seemed cute. I'm a sucker for charming British comedies. 
  • Winter Boy?: French film from the director of Ma Mere. I don't have a ticket yet, but it's in my schedule. 
  • The Fabelmans: My partner and I are festivalling together and I only have one ticket so far to the premiere. Hoping to snag another one because it's in the biggest TIFF venue. All I know is that this is Steven Spielberg's biopic. I don't even know who stars in this. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised. 
  • Aristotle and Dante: Gay Latin coming-of-age story based on a popular book. I'm there!
  • The Blackening: The plot sold me immediately: Something along the lines of--horror movies tend to kill the black character first. But what happens if they're all black? (Seeing this as part of Midnight Madness. Should be a romp of a good time!)
  • The Good Nurse: Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastain (my two favourite redheads) in scrubs? Say no more. 
  • In Conversation with... Eddie Redmayne: Attending the Q&A after the movie. Pretty cool I was able to book this. 
  • EO: Life through the eyes of a donkey. Cute plot!
  • Decision to Leave: I know nothing about this, except that it's directed by a legendary South Korean director whose previous films I really enjoyed. 
  • Broker: I know nothing about this, except that it's directed by a legendary Japanese director whose previous films I really enjoyed. 
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery: I was hesitant to get tickets for this because it is coming out on Netflix anyway, but seeing it as part of TIFF with a festival crowd hungry to see it just seems so fun. 
  • Women Talking: Women brainwashed in a cult. Great FEMALE ensemble cast. One of my most anticipated.
  • Leonor Will Not Die: Seeing this as part of Midnight Madness as well. 
  • Plan 75: Japanese seniors and their lives. Seems heartwarming! Ready to cry. 
  • My Policeman: Same as Glass Onion. No original plan to see this but I was able to get tickets despite the film being buzzier. I have only literally seen the thumbnail of Harry Styles and Emma Corrin in a museum, and that ATRL Celebria thread about Harry Styles talking about real gay sex. Other than that, I don't know anything about it. 
  • Driving Madelaine: French grandma in a taxi throughout the movie? Cute plot!

Other films that are buzzier that I did not (and likely will not) get tickets for:

• Aftersun: This has only been trending recently. Has universal rave reviews. Stars Paul Mezcal who plays a father with a daughter while traveling. 
  • The Banshees of Inisherin: From the director of Three Billboards. I have a feeling this is a serious contender for People's Choice.
  • The Whale: Brendan Fraser plays a morbidly obese man. Directed by Darren Aronofsky. Had shitty showtimes (and only 3). Odd. 
  • Triangle of Sadness: Won the top prize at Cannes. 

Cannot frigging wait!

13 hours ago, ALittleGauche said:

I'm going to TIFF! The excitement is ELECTRIC. This is my first in-person festival as last year didn't count--I wasn't a TIFF member and half of the films I saw were digital. I am seeing a combination of smaller/indie/international films and mainstream/buzzier films. I made my schedule based on the synopsis and thumbnail for each film. Beyond that, I don't know anything. I'm seeing:

• La Jauria: Seems to resemble The Hunger Games based on the plot, but Colombian. I don't know anything else. However, it was also just released today that Taylor Swift will be at the festival to screen All Too Well and have a Q&A after. That conflicts with this movie. If I get tickets to Taylor's event, then I won't be seeing this one.
  • Emily: Big fan of Mauve/Emma Mackey from Sex Education. She plays Emily Bronte here. I'm hoping she makes an appearance!
  • Allelujah: Judi Dench in a retirement home. Seemed cute. I'm a sucker for charming British comedies. 
  • Winter Boy?: French film from the director of Ma Mere. I don't have a ticket yet, but it's in my schedule. 
  • The Fabelmans: My partner and I are festivalling together and I only have one ticket so far to the premiere. Hoping to snag another one because it's in the biggest TIFF venue. All I know is that this is Steven Spielberg's biopic. I don't even know who stars in this. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised. 
  • Aristotle and Dante: Gay Latin coming-of-age story based on a popular book. I'm there!
  • The Blackening: The plot sold me immediately: Something along the lines of--horror movies tend to kill the black character first. But what happens if they're all black? (Seeing this as part of Midnight Madness. Should be a romp of a good time!)
  • The Good Nurse: Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastain (my two favourite redheads) in scrubs? Say no more. 
  • In Conversation with... Eddie Redmayne: Attending the Q&A after the movie. Pretty cool I was able to book this. 
  • EO: Life through the eyes of a donkey. Cute plot!
  • Decision to Leave: I know nothing about this, except that it's directed by a legendary South Korean director whose previous films I really enjoyed. 
  • Broker: I know nothing about this, except that it's directed by a legendary Japanese director whose previous films I really enjoyed. 
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery: I was hesitant to get tickets for this because it is coming out on Netflix anyway, but seeing it as part of TIFF with a festival crowd hungry to see it just seems so fun. 
  • Women Talking: Women brainwashed in a cult. Great FEMALE ensemble cast. One of my most anticipated.
  • Leonor Will Not Die: Seeing this as part of Midnight Madness as well. 
  • Plan 75: Japanese seniors and their lives. Seems heartwarming! Ready to cry. 
  • My Policeman: Same as Glass Onion. No original plan to see this but I was able to get tickets despite the film being buzzier. I have only literally seen the thumbnail of Harry Styles and Emma Corrin in a museum, and that ATRL Celebria thread about Harry Styles talking about real gay sex. Other than that, I don't know anything about it. 
  • Driving Madelaine: French grandma in a taxi throughout the movie? Cute plot!

Other films that are buzzier that I did not (and likely will not) get tickets for:

• Aftersun: This has only been trending recently. Has universal rave reviews. Stars Paul Mezcal who plays a father with a daughter while traveling. 
  • The Banshees of Inisherin: From the director of Three Billboards. I have a feeling this is a serious contender for People's Choice.
  • The Whale: Brendan Fraser plays a morbidly obese man. Directed by Darren Aronofsky. Had shitty showtimes (and only 3). Odd. 
  • Triangle of Sadness: Won the top prize at Cannes. 

Cannot frigging wait!

Omg have a great time sis! :jonny5:

Bones and All, 74 on metacritic.

tumblr_inline_n01eo06zBa1qffoiw.gif

I'm predicting Tom Cruise to get into BA and Maverick to get into Best Picture.

Films which premiered on Venice so far have been lukewarm.

Hoping for de Armas to shake up the competition and win Volpi :duca:

9 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

same as coda, oscars coming!

@ALittleGauche @WildAmerican is it too difficult to snatch a ticket for TIFF? I would love to go next year but since it will be my first time I’m not sure if it gets like a pre-sale for a MPG concert or if you can get tickets here and there with calm

4 hours ago, Donquizote said:

I'm predicting Tom Cruise to get into BA and Maverick to get into Best Picture.

I can see Marverick getting in easily but Tom Cruise is a very very long shot

“Bones and All.” The film received a 8.5-minute standing ovation, the longest and most enthusiastic of the festival so far. (It handily beat the previous record holder “Tar,” a drama starring Cate Blanchett as a tortured composer, which had a 6-minute ovation.)

Taylor and Tim got a lot of praise :clap3:

6 minutes ago, McNulty said:

The Whale will premier today, praying for Brendan Fraser to get rave reviews

He deserves it. :weeps:

First reactions for Women Talking got me so hyped :duca: Hoping Empire of Light gets some cute reviews today too :jonny:

I'm so excited about quite a few movies this year, what an improvement from last year's mess.

6 hours ago, Dark Phoenix said:

@ALittleGauche @WildAmerican is it too difficult to snatch a ticket for TIFF? I would love to go next year but since it will be my first time I’m not sure if it gets like a pre-sale for a MPG concert or if you can get tickets here and there with calm

it wasn't hard, just expensive lol Just like look at the website in May of next year to get exact dates and make a note of when the package you want goes on sale!

9 hours ago, Donquizote said:

tumblr_inline_n01eo06zBa1qffoiw.gif

Moved up to 95% on Rotten tomatoes :gaycat2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.