95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

On 6/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, Donquizote said:

Yup, I think Austin Butler will get nominated. For anyone comparing him to Taron, it should be noted that Austin plays the most impactful person in music history while the same thing can't be said to Taron's portrayal of Elton. Winning an Oscar will be an uphill battle for him since AMPAS tend not to award a novice for Best Actor. Rami was slaying TV and won Emmy prior to his win at Oscar. I think Austin will get nominated but someone else who's been longer in the industry than him will probably snatch that Best Actor.

kVSdRpi.gif

I've only seen previews and i can tell he was amazing 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Olivia Colman will be everywhere this year. The fact that she has 3 movies coming and all of them are going to be acclaimed with Puss in the Boots be a box office success makes me think that she'll be a threat in Best Actress race :jonny5:I won't be surprised if we are going to see another Close vs Colman repeat at the Oscar.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, Donquizote said:

Best Actress prediction (July 2022):

Michelle Yeoh-EEAO

Margot Robbie-Babylon

Anya de Armas-Blonde

Carey Mulligan-She Said

Naomi Ackie-I Wanna Dance with Somebody

Mess. I am tempting to take out Margot Robbie out from BA race and replace her with Olivia Colman :jonny5:I still think Anya, Naomi and Michelle are LOCKED but it's too early to tell. Colman is really a threat even though it's only the start of awards season.

29 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

Olivia Colman will be everywhere this year. The fact that she has 3 movies coming and all of them are going to be acclaimed with Puss in the Boots be a box office success makes me think that she'll be a threat in Best Actress race :jonny5:I won't be surprised if we are going to see another Close vs Colman repeat at the Oscar.

She also has two mini series coming out during this award season, one of them being Marvel's Secret Invasion :rip: (at least it's rumoured to be coming in early 2023, so hopefully it comes out before the Oscar voting and her buzz peaks at the right time :gaycat5:). Honestly sorry for anyone who dislikes her cause the last 3 years must have been rough. 

Also based on the spoilers I have read for Empire of Light, her role is baity. Add that to the fact that it takes place in a cinema and I feel like The Academy is going to eat it up unless Mendes royally ****** up (which can happen obviously as he's quite hit or miss). 

A prime release date for Awards season. Godlivia Colman is coming. :jonny6:

Micheal Ward will as well be getting that Best Supporting Actor nod.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, Donquizote said:

:jonny5:Rooting for Carey and Chloe.

This looks really really good.

Julianne Moore will be the Jury President for this year's Venice Festival :dies: Hoping she makes some interesting choices. 

Carrie should go supporting :jonny2: 

Olivia coming to RULE again, Micheal Ward coming to snatch a BSA nomination!

let me do some July 2022 predictions in acting:

Best Actress in Leading Role

- Naomie Ackie, I Wanna Dance Somebody

- Regina King, Shirley

- Margot Robbie, Babylon

- Olivia Colman, Empire of Light

- Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Alts: Cate Blanchett (TAR), Helen Mirren (Gilda)

Best Actor in Leading Role

- Austin Butler, Elvis

- Colman Domingo, Rustin

- Hugh Jackman, The Son

- Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon

- Song Kang-ho, Broker

Alts: Brendan Fraser (The Whale), Bill Nighy (Living)

Best Actress in Supporting Role

- Laura Dern, The Son

- Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

- Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once

- Michelle Williams, The Fabblemans

- Samantha Morton, She Said

Alts: Jessie Buckley (Women Talking), Vanessa Kirby (The Son), Audra McDonald (Rustin)

Best Actor in Supporting Role

- Robert de Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon

- Paul Dano, The Fabblemans

- Key Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

- Brad Pitt, Babylon

- Jesse Plemons, Killers of the Flower Moon

Alts: André Holland (Shirley), Zen McGrath (The Son)

Edited by Héloïse

The thought of Audra McDonald being in Oscar discussions turns me ON! Legend deserves every award.

3 hours ago, Stepfon said:

Oh wow :jonny5: If she could do what J-Hud couldn't do last year with Respect, I'll be floored!

if whitney wins (which would be nifty), i hope elvis doesn't also win. both lead winners being music icons would be a bit boring.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:58 AM, MrLovett said:

The thought of Audra McDonald being in Oscar discussions turns me ON! Legend deserves every award.

I could totally see her pulling an Olivia Colman and becoming that Main Prestige Girl after one big Oscar nom/win :clownny:

‘Rustin’ Pushed to 2023

Just to answer the queries I received after briefly writing yesterday that George C. Wolfe’s “Rustin” was now a 2023 release. It’s not official yet, but most in-the-know people have been told that Netflix now sees it as a 2023 release. That also means no fests.

The movie wasn’t even on my radar, but these last few weeks I was starting to notice some including it in their Oscar predictions. The film stars the ultra-underrated Colman Domingo.

Wolfe directed 2020’s “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” and his upcoming “Rustin” revolves around gay, civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who organized the 1963 March on Washington — the ingredients are most definitely there for prime Oscar bait. I am not entirely sure what happened to it, just that “it’s not ready.”

Netflix pulling “Rustin” out of their 2022 lineup only reinforces what I’ve heard, that “Bardo” is their top priority this season, followed closely by the “Knives Out” sequel. “Blonde” doesn’t even seem to be on the streaming giant’s Oscar radar. There’s also Sebastian Lelio’s “The Wonder,” Tobias Lindholm’s “The Good Nurse,” Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre’s “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” and John Ridley’s “Shirley”

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/2qdeeamh3bwesnn4j061in2w7jr9ix

i doubt both Elvis & Whitney are winning, tho one def likely will happen in either BA field depending on the strength of the contenders in fall

Boring biopic winners again :deadvision: and oscars complain when their ratings freefall :ahh:Leo or any of the RRR guys winning in actor would get most of the world to tune in

John Ridley’s ‘Shirley’ Test-Screens to Mediocre Reactions

Not hearing good things about John Ridley’s “Shirley.” This is a Netflix-produced biopic about Shirley Chisholm, America's first Black congresswoman. Chisholm is played by Regina King.

“Hey Ruimy, “Shirley” had an online test screening. I attended. This is my reaction. It’s bad. Like, comically bad. Every cliche in a generic biopic imaginable is in this. It’s through and through Oscar-bait trash. I would love to say, at the very least, that King was good in the role, unfortunately she’s not. It’s like she’s doing an impression in a comedy sketch. If anyone had this in their predictions, I would advise them to remove it. This is going nowhere.”

Yikes. Of course, this is just one reaction. Another one, from a person who didn’t want to published, wasn’t positive either, albeit they did like King’s performance.

“Shirley” currently doesn’t have a release date, and with these kinds of reactions you might expect to see it early next year. Netflix could maybe make a push to campaign King’s performance, but that remains to be seen.

Netflix clear #1 this awards season is “Bardo.” Their #2 is said to be “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” with a major push for Janelle Monae’s performance. Andrew Dominik’s “Blonde” is not a priority for them, ditto Noah Baumbach’s “White Noise” which is said to be too polarizing.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/5853h4shrbacdrx2cyx76sirzx6xnh

6 hours ago, Stepfon said:

John Ridley’s ‘Shirley’ Test-Screens to Mediocre Reactions

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/5853h4shrbacdrx2cyx76sirzx6xnh

Viola Davis' tea.

gqCjZq4.gif

Guess Naomi Ackie is safe for nomination and might win. Imagine the resurgence of Whitney's classics on Spotify and B100 once the movie gets released.

gqCjZq4.gif

On 7/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, Donquizote said:

Mess. I am tempting to take out Margot Robbie out from BA race and replace her with Olivia Colman :jonny5:I still think Anya, Naomi and Michelle are LOCKED but it's too early to tell. Colman is really a threat even though it's only the start of awards season.

blonde is really weird and polarizing, moreso than spencer. it's not an academy'd biopic at all. ana de armas' ~next it girl~ hype has also died down and netflix is in weird industry standing. i don't see it. 

2 minutes ago, teresaguidice said:

blonde is really weird and polarizing, moreso than spencer. it's not an academy'd biopic at all. ana de armas' ~next it girl~ hype has also died down and netflix is in weird industry standing. i don't see it. 

Wait. Not me always confusing Anya with Ana :bibliahh:

I still have faith that Blonde will get nominated. Remember last year when we thought Kristen wouldn't make it? Oscar always has a surprise for Best Actress category.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.