• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

2 hours ago, ALittleGauche said:

Saw Tar and it was pretty messy.

It was in the same vein as mother!, Whiplash, and Black Swan, involving a complex, flawed protagonist that unravels throughout the movie. Whereas the aforementioned movies have equally satisfying buildup and consequent explosion, this one lacks the latter. It gave me movie blue balls. There were also inconsistencies in the character portrayal, with my confusion only exacerbated by excessively long dialogues ridden with jargon and unintelligible accented mumbling. Cate Blanchett gave a standard performance, but she wasn’t given a chance to give more. The ending is also a doozy—a complete 180 from the rest of the film in terms of tone (and again, characterization) which left me with a “wtf?” feeling overall.

I can’t imagine Oscar voters being passionate to vote for Cate for her second Oscar in a movie with mixed reviews that will not have been seen by a lot of people, over Michelle Yeoh gunning for her first Oscar in a movie that was universally loved by both audiences and critics that made records during peak pandemic. From a technical standpoint alone, outside politics and history, Michelle served total body acting, whereas Cate gave a standard performance. 

Michelle will still win this. Momentum will swing back in her favour.

Pretty sure Tar is the most acclaimed film in the Actress race right now? Definitely didn't get mixed reviews

i thought they were referring to audience reaction.

76 average with 71% positive on rt.

Actress nominees, 80+ on rt aud/imdb/mc this century:

Million Dollar Baby and Eternal Sunshine

Black Swan

La La Land

3 Billboards

Everything Everywhere would fit in.

Edited by fridayteenage

I wonder when its going to be Saoirse's turn or she's going to be the next glenn cLose :skull: 

Finally watched Aftersun and it'd be criminal if Paul Mescal didn't get any Oscar buzz this season. The girl was also good, probably going to be miles better than everyone nominated at Best Actress but we know how things work. :rip: Beautiful and heartbreaking movie. :weeps:

british independent film awards noms are out. most interesting is the intl category:

ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED — Laura Poitras, Howard Gertler, John Lyons, Nan Goldin, Yoni Golijov,
CLOSE — Lukas Dhont, Angelo Tijssens, Michiel Dhont, Dirk Impens
DECISION TO LEAVE — Park Chan-Wook, Chung Seo-Kyung
EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE — Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Jonathan Wang, Joe Russo, Anthony Russo, Mike Larocca
THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD — Joachim Trier, Eskil Vogt, Andrea Berentsen Ottmar, Thomas
Robsahm

It can follow in the footsteps of Moonlight/Parasite/Nomadland

On 11/1/2022 at 3:22 PM, Liafen said:

I wonder when its going to be Saoirse's turn or she's going to be the next glenn cLose :skull: 

Saoirse isn’t even 30 yet. Let’s not compare her to Glenn when Amy Adams is RIGHT THERE. 

Just saw Causeway. Jennifer Lawrence did a really good stripped back performance and I liked her chemistry with Bryan Tree Henry.  Not Best Actress worthy but deserves some recognition in awards season. It's a very performance driven film where the acting is more memorable than the movie itself. 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, Hector said:

Just saw Causeway. Jennifer Lawrence did a really good stripped back performance and I liked her chemistry with Bryan Tree Henry.  Not Best Actress worthy but deserves some recognition in awards season. It's a very performance driven film where the acting is more memorable than the movie itself. 

I'm so curious to see it.

I wonder why it's not getting some awards love. No one is predicting her to get a nomination. Not even close.

From what I saw, her performance is really good and the movie is well received. 

Hopefully she pulls through somehow.

Edited by Rafael

not seeing Wakanda Forever taking the populist/blockbuster slot, Maverick's is safe. guess Avatar will be the other one should reviews & reactions live up to similar hype & reviews as the first

European Film Award Nominations:

European Film:
• ALCARRÀS, directed by Carla Simón, produced by María Zamora, Stefan Schmitz, Tono Folguera & Giovanni Pompili (Spain/Italy)
• CLOSE, directed by Lukas Dhont, produced by Michiel Dhont, Dirk Impens, Michel Saint-Jean, Laurette Schillings, Arnold Heslenfeld, Frans van Gestel & Jacques-Henri Bronckart (Belgium/France/Netherlands)
• CORSAGE, directed by Marie Kreutzer, produced by Alexander Glehr, Johanna Scherz, Bernard Michaux, Jonas Dornbach, Janine Jackowski, Maren Ade & Jean-Christophe Reymond (Austria/Luxembourg/Germany/France)
• HOLY SPIDER, directed by Ali Abbasi, produced by Sol Bondy & Jacob Jarek (Denmark/Germany/Sweden/France)
• TRIANGLE OF SADNESS, directed by Ruben Östlund, produced by Erik Hemmendorff & Philippe Bober (Sweden/Germany/France/United Kingdom)

European Director:
• Lukas Dhont for CLOSE
• Marie Kreutzer for CORSAGE
• Jerzy Skolimowski for EO
• Ali Abbasi for HOLY SPIDER
• Alice Diop for SAINT OMER
• Ruben Östlund for TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

European Actress:
• Vicky Krieps in CORSAGE
• Zar Amir Ebrahimi in HOLY SPIDER
• Léa Seydoux in ONE FINE MORNING
• Penélope Cruz in PARALLEL MOTHERS
• Meltem Kaptan in RABIYE KURNAZ VS. GEORGE W. BUSH

European Actor:
• Paul Mescal in AFTERSUN
• Eden Dambrine in CLOSE
• Elliott Crosset Hove in GODLAND
• Pierfrancesco Favino in NOSTALGIA
• Zlatko Burić in TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

European Screenwriter:
• Carla Simón & Arnau Vilaró for ALCARRÀS
• Kenneth Branagh for BELFAST
• Lukas Dhont & Angelo Tijssens for CLOSE
• Ali Abbasi & Afshin Kamran Bahrami for HOLY SPIDER
• Ruben Östlund for TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

European Documentary:
• A HOUSE MADE OF SPLINTERS, directed by Simon Lereng Wilmont (Denmark/Sweden/Finland/Ukraine)
• GIRL GANG, directed by Susanne Regina Meures (Switzerland)
• MARIUPOLIS 2, directed by Mantas Kvedaravičius (Lithuania/France/Germany)
• THE BALCONY MOVIE (FILM BALKONOWY), directed by Paweł Łoziński (Poland)
• THE MARCH ON ROME (MARCIA SU ROMA), directed by Mark Cousins (Italy)

European Discovery – Prix FIPRESCI
• 107 MOTHERS (CENZORKA), directed by Peter Kerekes (Slovakia/Czech Republic/Ukraine)
• LOVE ACCORDING TO DALVA (DALVA), directed by Emmanuelle Nicot (Belgium/France)
• OTHER PEOPLE (INNI LUDZIE), directed by Aleksandra Terpińska (Poland/France)
• PAMFIR, directed by Dmytro Sukholytkyy-Sobchuk (Ukraine/France/Poland/Germany/ Chile)
• SMALL BODY (PICCOLO CORPO), directed by Laura Samani (Italy/Slovenia/France)
• SONNE, directed by Kurdwin Ayub, produced by Ulrich Seidl (Austria)

Previously announced nominees:

Animated Film

• LITTLE NICHOLAS – HAPPY AS CAN BE (LE PETIT NICOLAS – QU’EST-CE QU’ON ATTEND POUR ÊTRE HEUREUX?)
  • MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH MARRIAGE
  • MY NEIGHBORS’ NEIGHBORS (LES VOISINS DE MES VOISINS SONT MES VOISINS)
  • NO DOGS OR ITALIANS ALLOWED (INTERDIT AUX CHIENS ET AUX ITALIENS)
  • OINK (KNOR)

Comedy Film

• COP SECRET (LEYNILÖGGA) directed by Hannes Þór Halldórsson (Iceland)
  • THE GOOD BOSS (EL BUEN PATRÓN) directed by Fernando León de Aranoa (Spain)
  • THE DIVIDE (LA FRACTURE) directed by Catherine Corsini (France)

Short Film

• GRANNY’S SEXUAL LIFE (BABIČINO SEKSUALNO ŽIVLJENJE)
  • ICE MERCHANTS
  • LOVE, DAD (MILÝ TATI)
  • TECHNO, MAMA
  • WILL MY PARENTS COME TO SEE ME

European University Film Award

• ALCARRÀS
  • CLOSE
  • EO
  • THE ECLIPSE
  • TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

Just saw The Fabelmans. A very well made movie loosely based on Spielberg's life. I would totally understand if this won either Best Picture or Best Director. Spielberg nailed the ending as well. 

Michelle really could have stayed in Supporting Actress and it wouldn't have made a difference as the film doesn't revolve around her that much (albeit she is one of The Fabelmans so I'll let it slide).  A really good performance but not better than Cate Blanchett or Michelle Yeoh if we're talking lead. 

2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Anyone seen banshees

I thought it was a bit underwhelming? The trailer made it seem a lot more propulsive than it actually was and as much as I want Colin Farrell to win BA as a lifetime award (FATHER.) I didn't really take all that much away from his performance? Brendon Gleeson made a much bigger impression on me, but I definitely want KHQ to win BSA as he had the best performance in EEAAO, and I also didn't really rate Kerry Condon much and don't know where her buzz came from and expect it to fizzle out when all is said and done. I still want either Colin or Brendan Fraser to win (The Whale was much better than I expected) but I didn't love it like I wanted to. Also I kinda think the screenplay was flawed and underwritten: considering how dark and cynical it is I expected it to escalate in parts and the actuality of it didn't match my own expectations. :gaycat6:

there's a rumor netflix wants gerwig to make 2 narnia films.

i'm gonna need her to say no. she has to write saoirse's next oscar role first!

15 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Chazelle flopping too. This year is DOOMED. 

we already have a masterpiece that will be remembered forever.

2b6d131b066549066dbe813ad6d9c360603a7de5

23 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

we already have a masterpiece that will be remembered forever.

2b6d131b066549066dbe813ad6d9c360603a7de5

True, but I still wanted more good movies getting in. Iñarritu flopped. Mendes flopped. And Spielberg made a bore again. 

My gawd. 

Edited by Blade Runner

Reactions are more mixed-to-positive than truly mixed, it will probably be in low 80s at RT. 

Margot is getting praise even on the more negative one so she should be fine. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.