• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Babylon looks fun. Still rooting for Margod but I have some doubts :eli:

I'm really over Brad's boring ass tho

Yeah I'm not impressed as well with the trailer, looks like another 'The great Gasby' kind of movie with a big cast that has been done tones of times, this has been overhyped too much I think.

25 minutes ago, Héloïse said:

Babylon looks like a mess. Margot is trying waaaay too hard and Brad is unbearable. :redface:

I agree.  The overacting is cringe

Causeway 93% on RT

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/causeway/reviews

The only "bad" review is that 2/5 stars from The Guardian. Other than that, extremelly positive reviews for Jennifer Lawrence.

"Causeway is a promising debut for Neugebauer, and a fine showcase for Lawrence and Tyree Henry’s charm."

"Jennifer Lawrence delivers a showcase performance in Causeway as a recently injured soldier transitioning back to life in New Orleans."

"Jennifer Lawrence and Brian Tyree Henry shine in Causeway."

"Lawrence is unshowily great in this part – there’s not an ounce of showboating or reaching for audience pity."

"Causeway is a welcome reminder of how compelling Lawrence can be, as well as a promising indication that she’s willing to seek out smaller projects and work with emerging directors for the right roles."

I hope she gets in somehow but either way, it's a win for her! 

Sooo Babylon is Margo doing cocke and going crazy about something?

:giraffe:

ngl I'm interested in what this is about

2 hours ago, Rafael said:

Causeway 93% on RT

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/causeway/reviews

The only "bad" review is that 2/5 stars from The Guardian. Other than that, extremelly positive reviews for Jennifer Lawrence.

"Causeway is a promising debut for Neugebauer, and a fine showcase for Lawrence and Tyree Henry’s charm."

"Jennifer Lawrence delivers a showcase performance in Causeway as a recently injured soldier transitioning back to life in New Orleans."

"Jennifer Lawrence and Brian Tyree Henry shine in Causeway."

"Lawrence is unshowily great in this part – there’s not an ounce of showboating or reaching for audience pity."

"Causeway is a welcome reminder of how compelling Lawrence can be, as well as a promising indication that she’s willing to seek out smaller projects and work with emerging directors for the right roles."

I hope she gets in somehow but either way, it's a win for her! 

Rise J.Law rise this is the beginning :clap3:

Screaming at The Son doing even worse at TIFF, the reactions are brutal :deadbanana4:

Honestly think it might get completely blanked. People truly hate it :deadbanana4:

GoldDerby now has Cate Blanchett for TAR in the lead for the Best Actress race.

Updated Best Picture predictions from GoldDerby:

01 The Fablemans

02 Everything Everywhere All At Once

03 Babylon

04 Women Talking

05 The Son

06 Top Gun: Maverick

07 Empire Of Light

08 TAR

09 The Banshees Of Inisherin 

10 The Whale

That Babylon trailer was HORRID, whew, watch the movie turn out to hailed by critics as a "masterpiece" though, which could be the case.

hm i was not feeling that trailer. what if MR does not actually end up being nominated after all (like i predicted few mths ago) she was not bringing anything new at all. i can see this being tepidly reviewed.

Babylon looks like the prequel for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, only messier:rip: I had really high expectations I guess

2 hours ago, futurenostalgic said:

hm i was not feeling that trailer. what if MR does not actually end up being nominated after all (like i predicted few mths ago) she was not bringing anything new at all. i can see this being tepidly reviewed.

I could see her struggling on a preferential ballot if she doesn't get raves

Just came out of Triangle of Sadness at TIFF. Whew, what an experience. I highly recommend going in blindly. It won’t be for everyone, but it was reminiscent of Parasite for me (which also coincidentally won Cannes in its year). If the momentum is right, this might be in the running for a nomination. There was a standing ovation at the end which has been rare at TIFF (we don’t give them out willy-nilly unlike at Venice).

Dolly de Leon is a name you’ll hear soon for Best Supporting Actress. She was a fan favourite and got a thundering applause (louder than the director) when she came onstage. Her lines and overall role were a crowd-pleaser.

This movie toppled The Fabelmans for me from the top spot so far. I’m on day 6 out of 10; 13 films out of 23. I still have Women Talking and Knives Out as my other heavy-hitters, but I’m predicting I will be voting for this for People’s Choice.

Edited by ALittleGauche

Babylon trailer was meh it feels like a mix of The Great Gatsby + Mank and seeing Pitt there rubs me in the wrong way he also feels like he’s in a Tarantino movie (IB or OUATIH), maybe there’s a surprise but I don’t see anything outstanding here.

Damien, sweetie, what are you doing with that Babylon thing... I really had something entirely different in mind. :skull: Can't tell if it will perform good enough to get several (technical) noms or get mixed reviews.

Edited by D/X

Babylon looks exactly like what I imagined it to be actually, but I wasn't too hyped for it from the beginning. I'm really interested in the reactions once it comes out because this can go either way and neither would surprise me. :rip:

This review skulldragged Mendes and Colman :bibliahh:

Empire of Meh

I am not entirely sure what the point of Sam Mendes’ “Empire of Light” was, other than to give Olivia Colman a major showcase role and set the film in a movie theatre. Cinema!

It does feature gorgeous photography from Roger Deakins, who is a total rock star. Otherwise, you get to see Olivia Colman’s Hilary work at a movie theater, fall for a younger black colleague (Michael Ward), suffer a few schizophrenic episodes and then heal by basking in the glorious experience of cinema.

There were no doubt good intentions here, Mendes is a more-than-decent filmmaker, but why must we endure this movie? What was the point of it, exactly? It starts off quite well, actually, effectively setting up a luminous 1980s English seaside setting, well-drawn characters and an impeccable atmosphere. However, by the second hour you realize that this character piece has nowhere to go.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/9/ctc5a4v20dgn5syzzak3bcpftb80rj

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.