• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

1 hour ago, teresaguidice said:

character driven drama =/= awards bait necessarily. the awards bait version of tar would spoon-feed a message about abuse of power and be deathly serious while doing it (like she said). tar paints a really complex situation and forces the viewer to be uncomfortable and make judgments around a highly sensitive topic (and is darkly funny and prickly while doing it). the academy historically doesn't "get" films like that. 

I have nothing against character driven dramas, awards bait films, anything, I was expecting it to be pretentious but jeez... And it just didn’t deliver any of that believably or enjoyably. I’d say it leaves the viewer more perplexed and bored than uncomfortable :rip: It’s just so hard to follow for no reason. Like who was editing the Wikipedia page? Krista I assume but I thought for most of the movie she edited her own page. I knew what parts were supposed to be “funny” but they didn’t land at all for me. There’s a difference between not spoon-feeding a message and simply not having a message in the first place.

This is all my opinion, I’m not telling anybody else what to think, but in my opinion this movie is the most boring, self-indulgent garbage I’ve ever sat through :rip: Calling someone dumb for having a different opinion to your own is so childish

On paper, we all knew Todd Field (who was 2/2 for lead actress noms) + C8 + a movie about the Arts was an acting frontrunner.

Obviously, on paper frontrunners can flop i.e. Babylon and Wonder Wheel. But this was never expected to be a crowdpleasing hit, as opposed to being made for awards.

Never knew Billie is an AMPAS member too :jonny5:

1 hour ago, its_britney_bitch said:

I have nothing against character driven dramas, awards bait films, anything, I was expecting it to be pretentious but jeez... And it just didn’t deliver any of that believably or enjoyably. I’d say it leaves the viewer more perplexed and bored than uncomfortable :rip: It’s just so hard to follow for no reason. Like who was editing the Wikipedia page? Krista I assume but I thought for most of the movie she edited her own page. I knew what parts were supposed to be “funny” but they didn’t land at all for me. There’s a difference between not spoon-feeding a message and simply not having a message in the first place.

This is all my opinion, I’m not telling anybody else what to think, but in my opinion this movie is the most boring, self-indulgent garbage I’ve ever sat through :rip: Calling someone dumb for having a different opinion to your own is so childish

oh i was just being a stan fslur with my braindead comment, it wasn't directed at you. the movie is polarizing (and was intended to be so i believe) so it's obviously perfectly fine not to like it. 

1 hour ago, its_britney_bitch said:

...in my opinion ["Tar"] is the most boring, self-indulgent garbage I’ve ever sat through :rip: 

Must've never seen Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life."

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

Truly boring, self-indulgent trash.

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

"Tar" may be objectively boring, but I think the film's biggest problem is that it's so cynical and overly apologetic to White men under "cancel culture" media scrutiny. The writer-director is echoing the same overused epitaph that White men use: "Don't be so quick to cancel me! You've got it all wrong, you sheep!" The film portrays the actions of Lydia Tar being "overblown" by the media. But what real world examples have there been of a male public figure who was "unfairly" accused of sexual assault or misconduct and was actually a "victim" of "cancel culture"? There are none that come to mind.

All of that being said, the student with the "Look at me, I'm an individual!" black nail polish was obnoxious. Imagine going to school to be a classical artist—a classically-trained painter, a classically-trained sculptor, a classically-trained dancer, a classically-trained musician—and having the audacity to say, "I don't like the classical artists that came before me because they are 'cis White men'." It was satisfying when Cate Blanchett skulldragged him by saying, "Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring conformity." After all his righteousness, all he could do after Tar exposed his hypocrisy and general idiocy was call her a not-so-righteous misogynistic insult. Ironic. Where was his cancellation?

...Vin

Edited by Vin

5 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

that's the ending you said "they really went for it"

yellow peril alert!

it's the constant "everybody HATES asians" on almost every post here for me.

Like, are you okay ?

7 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

it's the constant "everybody HATES asians" on almost every post here for me.

Like, are you okay ?

:toofunny3:

A part of me wants Andrea to win for a mess.

side-eye.gif

2 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Who’s winning lead actor 

Hoping for Fraser.

billie-eilish-is-fucking-OVER.thumb.gif.

1 hour ago, Donquizote said:

A part of me wants Andrea to win for a mess.

side-eye.gif

the nom will be rescinded 

side-eye.gif

4 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

one of the biggest category frauds of all time, along with Carol

side-eye.gif

Even though I remain as one of the biggest OEEAAOHs here, I still support Michelle for Best Actress. She was so awesome.

Just finished watching Aftersun

(spoiler)

the ending scene literally shook me to the core 

:monkey: how they did that. what a movie.

Edited by enchanted0

5 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

one of the biggest category frauds of all time, along with Carol

side-eye.gif

We’re forgetting the real category fraud that is Ke Huy Quan in supporting when he should be in lead. :giraffe:  He should be sweeping best lead actor rn 

Edited by DONTYELLATME

6 hours ago, Vin said:

Must've never seen Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life."

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

Truly boring, self-indulgent trash.

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

"Tar" may be objectively boring, but I think the film's biggest problem is that it's so cynical and overly apologetic to White men under "cancel culture" media scrutiny. The writer-director is echoing the same overused epitaph that White men use: "Don't be so quick to cancel me! You've got it all wrong, you sheep!" The film portrays the actions of Lydia Tar being "overblown" by the media. But what real world examples have there been of a male public figure who was "unfairly" accused of sexual assault or misconduct and was actually a "victim" of "cancel culture"? There are none that come to mind.

All of that being said, the student with the "Look at me, I'm an individual!" black nail polish was obnoxious. Imagine going to school to be a classical artist—a classically-trained painter, a classically-trained sculptor, a classically-trained dancer, a classically-trained musician—and having the audacity to say, "I don't like the classical artists that came before me because they are 'cis White men'." It was satisfying when Cate Blanchett skulldragged him by saying, "Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring conformity." After all his righteousness, all he could do after Tar exposed his hypocrisy and general idiocy was call her a not-so-righteous misogynistic insult. Ironic. Where was his cancellation?

...Vin

That scene was the only one I enjoyed in the whole movie! It made me think it was going to actually start coming together, but that didn’t last long at all :rip: It definitely felt like we were ~supposed~ to side with her in that argument and be outraged that her words were twisted in that edited video (which was just… laughably bad)

I think the filmmaker just doesn’t have anything to say as much as he wants it to appear that way. What is the moral here, really? Lesbians can be bad too? We can appreciate the irony of Tár herself being hyper-pretentious and coming from a poor background and blah blah blah, but… none of that negates the fact that the movie as a whole is excruciating to sit through :rip:

I’ll be honest, a lot of this movie was probably lost on me, I checked my phone so many times just to see how much longer I had to endure. 2 hours and 38 minutes of torture

5 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

side-eye.gif

idk what this dog is supposed to mean

Rooney Mara (Carol) - 59.67%

Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal) - 56.24%

if you're onscreen for more than half the movie, you're not supporting.

10 hours ago, Attitude said:

YgbVXJi.jpg 

:mandown:

The way she thinks she’s being slick alluding to herself in the third person.

side-eye.gif

after watching this clip i hope Andrea's nomination gets revoked solely because her acting is :biblio: like idgaf abt the shady campaign or whatever but what is this..

4 hours ago, its_britney_bitch said:

That scene was the only one I enjoyed in the whole movie! It made me think it was going to actually start coming together, but that didn’t last long at all :rip: It definitely felt like we were ~supposed~ to side with her in that argument and be outraged that her words were twisted in that edited video (which was just… laughably bad)

I think the filmmaker just doesn’t have anything to say as much as he wants it to appear that way. What is the moral here, really? Lesbians can be bad too? We can appreciate the irony of Tár herself being hyper-pretentious and coming from a poor background and blah blah blah, but… none of that negates the fact that the movie as a whole is excruciating to sit through :rip:

I’ll be honest, a lot of this movie was probably lost on me, I checked my phone so many times just to see how much longer I had to endure. 2 hours and 38 minutes of torture

We weren't really supposed to be on her side imo. It's sort of a play on those "SJWs owned" videos but it shows us another example of how Tar abuses her power. The student could never win an argument with her because she has great power and influence, plus way more references and knowledge than him. She's supposed to be educating and is instead using that opportunity to belittle a student. 

The movie is reflecting on how power is corrupting no matter who has it. Tar is a complex figure but it's clear she has abused her authority, which comes back to haunt her in the end. It's not "lesbians can be bad people too" so much as "anyone will be corrupted by this level of power and authority" 

Edited by Kylizzle

9 hours ago, DONTYELLATME said:

We’re forgetting the real category fraud that is Ke Huy Quan in supporting when he should be in lead. :giraffe:  He should be sweeping best lead actor rn 

I must admit I was thinking it could be argued that he's a co-lead after watching it, but I don't think supporting is fraud. It's more of Michelle's story than his character's, who is mainly there to support her.

But if he was a more well known actor he might've been campaigned in lead.

we just got our first east asian lead actor nominee this decade so

at least he has also the excuse that michelle is much more lead than him, and that he hadn't done movies for decades due to racism

Edited by fridayteenage

It's time to admit supporting and lead basically mean nothing. If you're a child actor, you're going in supporting even if you're in every scene like Hailee Steinfeld. You can win lead actor like Hopkins with 20 minutes of screen time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.