• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Usually, I'd wait for the Netflix release but this makes me so tempted to see it in theaters. A month before the streaming release:

Till debuts with 100% on RT.

Perhaps Deadwyler will be a threat to Blanchett when it comes to critics' win :jonny2:

Just saw TAR. Cate Bleachett DID that :clap3: The movie is not best picture worthy but she had RANGE and brought texture and dexterity to a complicated character descending into rock bottom with an unexpected ending. Interesting role and I get why she's the frontrunner for now anyway.  I'm still more Team Michelle Yeoh especially with how varied her character performances were in Everything Everywhere All At Once. 

Edited by Hector

55 minutes ago, Hector said:

Just saw TAR. Cate Bleachett DID that :clap3: The movie is not best picture worthy but she had RANGE and brought texture and dexterity to a complicated character descending into rock bottom with an unexpected ending. Interesting role and I get why she's the frontrunner for now anyway.  I'm still more Team Michelle Yeoh especially with how varied her character performances were in Everything Everywhere All At Once. 

Is it a psychological horror? Any creepy elements? I'm dying to see it. 

28 minutes ago, Track10 said:

Is it a psychological horror? Any creepy elements? I'm dying to see it. 

Not really horror. It's more of a character study of how her life begins to falls apart within the 2 and a half hour span of the movie.  Definitely a must watch, there were elements of it that reminded me of Black Swan & The Wife. 

Edited by Hector

Next week is the biggest Mexican film fest (Morelia Film Fest) and I’m so happy because I snatched tickets for 14 movies, 2 per day for a whole week, it’s my first time going to a film fest but I’m so excited and happy, I’ll watch:

-Aftersun 

-Alcarràs ?? 

-Broker ?? 

-Close ?? ?? ?? 

-Decision to leave ?? 

-EO ?? 

-The Fabelmans

-The Gaze (2021, Barry Jenkins there)

-Huesera ?? 

-Joyland ?? ?️‍? 

-Los Reyes del mundo ?? 

-La Jauría ?? 

-Triangle of Sadness

Also I love that the programe brought so much diversity with films from all over the world, Empire of Light and Corsage were also available but I did not chose them; I wish they had TAR, Banshes, The Whale or Bones and All but I can’t complain, will let you all know my thoughts! 

9 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

no, asian excellence turning red>>>

Jewish excellence Marcel The Shell>>>

12 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

It's getting raves :jonny:  frontrunner for Animation, maybe it can crack Best Picture 

when is this releasing? that disney+ PANnocchio already completely forgotten and this will just dig its grave further

Edited by Scandalous

So is Colin Farrell now a front runner for BA? The Banshees of Inisherin is acclaimed and all saying it’s his best performance.

8 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

So is Colin Farrell now a front runner for BA? The Banshees of Inisherin is acclaimed and all saying it’s his best performance.

Brendan Fraser has a better narrative

Critics Choice Documentary Award Nominations:

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Aftershock (Hulu)
The Automat (A Slice of Pie Productions)
Descendant (Netflix)
Fire of Love (National Geographic Documentary Films/Neon)
Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down (Briarcliff Entertainment)
Good Night Oppy (Amazon Studios)
The Janes (HBO)
Moonage Daydream (HBO/Neon)
Navalny (HBO/CNN/Warner Bros. Pictures)
Sidney (Apple TV+)

The rest: https://nextbestpicture.com/the-2022-critics-choice-documentary-award-ccda-nominations/

Best Actor Race at the moment from Gold Derby & Next Best Picture:

1 Brendan Fraser (THE WHALE) 
2 Colin Farrell (THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN)
3 Austin Butler (ELVIS) 
4 Hugh Jackman (THE SON) 
5 Bill Nighy (LIVING)
6 Diego Calva (BABYLON) 
7 Tom Cruise (TOP GUN: MAVERICK)
8 Adam Driver (WHITE NOISE)
9 Jeremy Pope (THE INSPECTION)
10 Song Kang-ho (BROKER)

I don’t trust the Fraser hype. Pity Oscars only happen when there’s past work to back them up with and he doesn’t have that. He can still easily crumble like other "odd" candidates slated for noms/wins like Ben Stiller. Plus, his movie is more on the controversial side so we’ll have to wait for the reception anyway.

Not predicting his win, but he was in Oscar acting nominees. Quiet American, gods and monsters, crash

Just saw The Banshees Of Inisherin. It was so unexpectedly funny but also very serious and dark in tone.  Loved that juxtaposition of comedy & drama.  Great film. Colin Farell was excellent and I'll be elated to see him score his first Oscar nomination with this (that he should have gotten with In Bruges & The Lobster anyway). Gleeson was great (with his character remaining creepy most of the time :mazen:) and I see why he's a strong Supporting Actor contender. Barry Keoghan was also very funny & good in  What's Eating Gilbert Grape sort of way. Kerry Condon was great and would be a deserving Supporting Actress nominee. 

Edited by Hector

Yup, Blanchett will SWEEP everything. Poor others :dies:

Triangle Of Sadness was a very funny and off kilter film with good subtextual social commentary. Acts 2 and 3 in particular :lmao:

Not sure it'll get nominated for Best Picture but a very good movie nonetheless. 

I think it all depends on the resources A24 is willing to expend marketing The Whale / Fraser, as it's clearly not their top priority movie.

I assume they learned their lesson about being spread too thin in previous years,  because based on the evidence, A24 has already gone full throttle on EEAAO's campaign with nary a peep for anything else. Additionally, Yeoh is their primary acting campaign. Every string is being pulled for her & it's only October.

Same questions go to Aftersun (A24 / Mubi). 

11 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Yup, Blanchett will SWEEP everything. Poor others :dies:

:isudumblmao:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.