95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

7 minutes ago, Héloïse said:

okay so main takeaways:

- Banshees is definitely the frontrunner for Best Picture (Director, Screenplay and Actor are locked noms at this point)

- Farrell and Butler are battling for Best Actor's win, doubt Brendan Fraser is competition for them. 

- Cate Blanchett is SWEEPING since there's barely any competition. Ana de Armas is not happening.

i mean, this was the opinion of 7 people choosing amongst 20ish films (including documentaries, one of which won the top prize). led by julianne moore who's known cate since last century.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf2Xc4S01sszq68H0BH1V

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Ana de Armas could still happen for the nomination, but Cate will be steps ahead of her for the win from now on.

6 hours ago, Riot said:

The last time the Volpi Cup for Best Actor and the Academy Award for Best Actor had the same winner was in 1936 :deadbanana4:

Maybe I do not want Colin Farrell to win it

45 minutes ago, McNulty said:

79th Venice International Film Festival Results

Volpi Cup for Best Actor: Collin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin

#frogman original from The Frogman

Banshees is the type of movie that plays better in European awards/festivals than in Academy (see Belfast). Same with TAR. 

I still think Brendan is the winner of Venice. We all know that The Narrative™ is what wins Oscars, and his got to be of the best i've ever seen. He'll get a massive amount of support once he goes about promoting this. Similarly, Michelle is remains my frontrunner.

Toronto always gives the real tea tho.

Edited by Gui Blackout

Personal Venice takeaways

- Banshees is a huge threat, could be Top 5. As "European" as it is, it's still the type of film that could play very well to actors and traditionalists/writerly types. And Farrell is potentially the critics frontrunner in what's already a banner year for him.

- While Blanchett is locked for the nom right now, still not entirely sure if she's gonna end up with Oscar. 3rd wins take time (Frances and Meryl both won in their 60s). And Tar feels like it could be more on the divisive side even if it has core passion. If she doesn't win, I suspect she'll be the runner up though.

- Maybe Bones and All could get a decent critics push? It won Direction and the young actor's award. It could get a Screenplay nom considering how barren the field is.

- The Son bombed just as it should've, crap movie for a crap play :worship: And Kirby/Dern being pretty DOA (as well as the split notices for Sink and Chau) opens up Supporting Actress.

2 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

DJ3KqbrXoAIW1Hs?format=jpg&name=large

tituss had it right

Are you going to freak out at every actress who approaches or surpasses Meryl’s Oscar total?

11 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Are you going to freak out at every actress who approaches or surpasses Meryl’s Oscar total?

she was questionable in aviator, but cemented her downward slide with this performance in 2007:

aee74f6f1dc0ccf38a4418433ece4f73.gif

So Cate is getting another Oscar.

d4064d7d68c5edc1963d6bb44b73f6e7.gif

It's funny how several films which were early buzzed are on the low tier of Metacritic scores (Bardo, Empire of Light, The Whale, The Son). 

I do see Banshees becoming the frontrunner.

Post Venice predition for Best Actress:

1. Legend Cate Blanchett (LOCKED) 

2. Michelle Yeoh (shaky ground) 

3. Margot Robbie (rise to 3rd position) 

4. Naomi Ackie(AMPAS love biopic and she will get nominated if it did well at box office) 

Fighting for last spot:

Olivia Colman

Viola Davis

Rooney Maara

Hoping that they surprise on Oscar nomination morning:

Tang Wei

Ana de Armas

Zahra Amir

59 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

:toofunny3:

------------

At this rate I believe that Legend Blanchett (if she won for this) and Legend McDormand will win their 4th sometime soon in the future.

Edited by Donquizote
edit

The Fabelmans will premiere today :duca: Hoping that Queen Michelle crashes Oscar race :duca:

First reaction to Causeway is OUT. Guess JLaw will be fighting for that last spot with other contenders considering this year BA is bloodbath yet again :cm: 

2 hours ago, Donquizote said:

At this rate I believe that Legend Blanchett (if she won for this) and Legend McDormand will win their 4th sometime soon in the future.

Ahh legend tingz! 

& don't forget Legend Frances already has her fourth, for Best Picture, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that to their credit!

Frances Mcdormand GIFs | Tenor

Just now, Liafen said:

Ahh legend tingz! 

& don't forget Legend Frances already has her fourth, for Best Picture, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that to their credit!

Frances Mcdormand GIFs | Tenor

Certain fanbase will riot if Legend McDormand won her 4th Lead Actress without much campaign :fan:

5 hours ago, McNulty said:

Martin McDonagh won for screenplay. Banshees will be very strong at the Oscars

Oop looks like the McGene is going strong! 

Just now, Donquizote said:

Certain fanbase will riot if Legend McDormand won her 4th Lead Actress without much campaign :fan:

Still not over the fact that she won her third Lead without bothering to even log in on Zoom, a mess. While others have to tour every award show there is and do a pact with the devil aka Harvey Weinstein for the win.

wonder can critics rally behind Yeoh's back and push her ahead of Blanchett's indeniable frontrunner status, but perched for Legend Cate's inevitable third win

The way that Meryl stan is acting like Blanchett is not getting GOAT reviews for TAR :ahh: Gurl she's getting all the awards based on the performance and not because she keeps shaking the voters' hands :toofunny3:

2 stars from the Guardian.

Lawrence is out of the race. Her personal reviews are decent, but the movie’s reviews are rather mediocre and it’s way too small scale.

1. Margot Robbie

2. Cate Blanchett

3. Michelle Yeoh

And the last two spots will be between Olivia Colman, Viola Davis and Naomi Ackie. I’m leafing towards Naomi & Olivia right now, unless Viola’s movie becomes a box office hit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.