Imagine Dragons - ‘Mercury’

Cutthroat

did follow you flop??? WHY? its their best song in ages and yet mediocre believer smashes extremely hard?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cutthroat

• Mooncrown

• computer.boy

• TeamThiem

Sharks is cute and I liked the music video, but Bones remains the best song they released from these albums so far.

10 hours ago, Cutthroat said:

Where are these from? 

I made them since I'm not the biggest fan of the artwork, it's very bright / red for me, haha.

32 minutes ago, computer.boy said:

I made them since I'm not the biggest fan of the artwork, it's very bright / red for me, haha.

They’re great! I’m using this alternative official one: 

E0-DAA03-B-23-BD-46-E3-A571-15-FC6-C86-E

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

Sharks is cute and I liked the music video, but Bones remains the best song they released from these albums so far.

Wrecked > Follow You > Bones > Sharks > Cutthroat > Monday 

2 hours ago, The Next Day said:

The Q&A was cute. I struggle hard with Act 1 because of lack of coherence, but Dan's explanation that Act 1 is supposed to represent the imminent feeling of loss while Act 2 deals with the aftermath is making sense to me. I basically ignored Bones and Sharks, but this helped return some hype (although: Monday/#1 should've been switched with Sharks, as the latter seems perfect for the theme of post-loss confusion. Bones can fit either way. Monday and #1 totally break the theme of Act 1 tho).

Act 1 is serving, wow. Would've looked great on a box set.

I don’t think it’s solely about loss. The title Mercury is taken from Mercurial, which means a sudden / unpredictable change in mood / mind, so that’s why the album doesn’t feel ‘coherent’ at times as it’s not really supposed to lol.

The album had a Cutthroat side (looking inwards) and a Follow You side (looking outwards) 

D3115911-6955-4-D6-A-B08-D-56-F0-CDAFE06

7860-ACFA-A94-A-496-B-95-C3-DC6-B725-C13

Edited by Cutthroat

2 hours ago, Sharapov said:

did follow you flop??? WHY? its their best song in ages and yet mediocre believer smashes extremely hard?

It's basically Whatever It Takes 3.0, pop culture has moved on from that sound. I love the song as well tho.

They could capitalize on the pop-rock resurgence (maybe Dull Knives could've been a great lead single), but what's the point tho? They're past the point of having to prove themselves.

2 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

I don’t think it’s solely about loss. The title Mercury is taken from Mercurial, which means a sudden / unpredictable change in mood / mind, so that’s why the album doesn’t feel ‘coherent’ at times as it’s not really supposed to lol.

The album had a Cutthroat side (looking inwards) and a more positive Follow You side (looking outwards) 

D3115911-6955-4-D6-A-B08-D-56-F0-CDAFE06

Dan literally said so tho:lakitu: He said it's "morbid" to say Mercury is about death, but it is. Specifically it's about "death, loss and life". But the "mercurial" interpretation doesn't interfere with the concept of Act 1  describing the feeling of recent loss. Grief is not a one-way road, that's why I can understand the sound changes on Act 1 now with that idea in mind. For example, going from My Life to Lonely makes sense now, as both are pretty desperate songs lyrically but completely different sound-wise. Sadness really can hide behind a shiny surface. Same with Follow You and Cutthroat: one moment you think you're fine and even euphoric (cause you think "you put it all behind you"), next moment your grief (in form of self-destructive tendencies) overcomes you (which represents the "mercurial" idea of mood changes that's present on the whole album as well). Except for Monday and #1, I understand why they chose the songs and the specific order (#1 kinda fits as an anthem of reassurance in difficult times tho). 

May I just add that Dan repeated today how Rick Rubin made him write less metaphorical and although I thought last autumn that led to dumbed down lyrics, I'm now listening and being like "YES! The new lyrical style is exactly what makes Act 1 special!":dies: 

It's really interesting how fast perception of an album can change, but just a few sentences from Dan helped me appreciate the artistic vision of the album. I didn't listen to Act 1 at all this year, but now my interest is really back. Sometimes it  takes time and distance to find new appreciation for sth.

But people, although my opinion has softened, don't get false ideas: If the guys dare to pull another 80s Prince homage a la Monday on Act 2, y'all best believe I WILL pull up at their next show to stage an intervention

EasyPoliteAiredaleterrier-size_restricte

9 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Dan literally said so tho:lakitu: He said it's "morbid" to say Mercury is about death, but it is. Specifically it's about "death, loss and life". But the "mercurial" interpretation doesn't interfere with the concept of Act 1  describing the feeling of recent loss. Grief is not a one-way road, that's why I can understand the sound changes on Act 1 now with that idea in mind. For example, going from My Life to Lonely makes sense now, as both are pretty desperate songs lyrically but completely different sound-wise. Sadness really can hide behind a shiny surface. Same with Follow You and Cutthroat: one moment you think you're fine and even euphoric (cause you think "you put it all behind you"), next moment your grief (in form of self-destructive tendencies) overcomes you (which represents the "mercurial" idea of mood changes that's present on the whole album as well). Except for Monday and #1, I understand why they chose the songs and the specific order (#1 kinda fits as an anthem of reassurance in difficult times tho). 

May I just add that Dan repeated today how Rick Rubin made him write less metaphorical and although I thought last autumn that led to dumbed down lyrics, I'm now listening and being like "YES! The new lyrical style is exactly what makes Act 1 special!":dies: 

It's really interesting how fast perception of an album can change, but just a few sentences from Dan helped me appreciate the artistic vision of the album. I didn't listen to Act 1 at all this year, but now my interest is really back. Sometimes it  takes time and distance to find new appreciation for sth.

But it isn’t solely about loss, which is what I said. I know a lot of the songs are about loss, as I’ve listened to the album multiple times and studied the lyrics. But songs like Follow You, No Time for Toxic People and Monday are more celebratory. He’s said in the past that the album was about expressing life’s extreme highs and lows. The loss side of the album will relate to the extreme low part, but there’s also a lot of light / hope within the album. 

27 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

But it isn’t solely about loss, which is what I said. I know a lot of the songs are about loss, as I’ve listened to the album multiple times and studied the lyrics. But songs like Follow You, No Time for Toxic People and Monday are more celebratory. He’s said in the past that the album was about expressing life’s extreme highs and lows. The loss side of the album will relate to the extreme low part, but there’s also a lot of light / hope within the album. 

That's true if you want to be very specific and Dan's words today are surely not the final verdict on that matter.

But as I said, I like the interpretation of looking at the two sides of Act 1 not only as polar opposites of feelings, but as the expression of mood swings during a period of grief as well. And grieving has celebratory aspects. Besides feelings of loneliness, isolation and depression, there's also an inner process of looking at your own life, thinking about your own values and what you really want from life (NTFTP, right?). You learn to appreciate the people you have in your life when you lose someone (Monday, Follow You), you learn to appreciate yourself (#1). This is not about the literal interpretation of the songs (we know that FY was written about a very specific event in Dan's life), but putting an overall theme of "dealing with loss" on top (FY as an expression of finding hope). It's like a second layer that binds all songs together despite all of them dealing with very different topics.

Edited by The Next Day

5 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

That's true if you want to be very specific and Dan's words today are surely not the final verdict on that matter.

But as I said, I like the interpretation of looking at the two sides of Act 1 not only as polar opposites of feelings, but as the expression of mood swings during a period of grief as well. And grieving has celebratory aspects. Besides feelings of loneliness, isolation and depression, there's also an inner process of looking at your own life, thinking about your own values and what you really want from life (NTFTP, right?). You learn to appreciate the people you have in your life when you lose someone (Monday, Follow You), you learn to appreciate yourself (#1). This is not about the literal interpretation of the songs (we know that FY was written about a very specific event in Dan's life), but putting an overall theme of "dealing with loss" on top (FY as an expression of finding hope). It's like a second layer that binds all songs together despite all of them dealing with very different topics.

I actually really like your interpretation of the album. I’m convinced! Now lemme go and stream the album again start to finish. :WAP:

:WAP:

This user also wrote some descriptions of the songs in the replies if anybody is interested. 

Sharks is amazing! I am ready.

Did they have a fight with their label or something? Why is this not on TTH? I noticed that Follow You was there but not so high (if im not mistaken).

Did they have a fight with their label or something? Why is this not on TTH? I noticed that Follow You was there but not so high (if im not mistaken).

21 hours ago, Sharapov said:

Because Believer is and was a million times better than follow you.

4 hours ago, Cutthroat said:

:WAP:

This user also wrote some descriptions of the songs in the replies if anybody is interested. 

Wow- very excited for Waves and I Wish especially after reading this!

Edited by Mooncrown

3 hours ago, Cutthroat said:

@Mooncrown I am ready to be destroyed. :gaycat6:

More Waves hype - this is going to kill us!

2 hours ago, Mooncrown said:

More Waves hype - this is going to kill us!

It sounds like it’s gonna be a great song. I’m especially intrigued about it having a plot twist ending. Not long now until we’ll have the full album! :chick3:

I can’t believe we’re only days away from hearing the other 16 tracks! I can already tell that this album is going to destroy me in the best way possible. 

I have my CD arriving on Friday and I’m trying to muster up enough will power to resist playing the album on Apple Music at midnight on Thursday lol. I think it’d be nice waiting for it to be in my hand before I play. 

giphy.gif

53 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

I can’t believe we’re only days away from hearing the other 16 tracks! I can already tell that this album is going to destroy me in the best way possible. 

I have my CD arriving on Friday and I’m trying to muster up enough will power to resist playing the album on Apple Music at midnight on Thursday lol. I think it’d be nice waiting for it to be in my hand before I play. 

giphy.gif

I feel it!! I wish they included lyrics in the CD booklet like they did for their first 3 albums

1 hour ago, skwonderfactory said:

I feel it!! I wish they included lyrics in the CD booklet like they did for their first 3 albums

I didn’t realise the standard edition of Mercury - Act 1 didn’t come with lyrics! I purchased the oversized edition and that comes with lyrics. 

I normally just read the lyrics on Apple Music whilst I play, although sometimes there are mistakes and typos and it makes me cringe lol. 

27 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

I didn’t realise the standard edition of Mercury - Act 1 didn’t come with lyrics! I purchased the oversized edition and that comes with lyrics. 

I normally just read the lyrics on Apple Music whilst I play, although sometimes there are mistakes and typos and it makes me cringe lol. 

Oh I had no idea about that! Is it still available? Could you please share pics of it? I'm curious to know all the photos included and to have 100% accurate lyrics and credits

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.