UK Politics πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ›οΈ TERF Island + General Corruption

Diarrhoea

HM looks so frail in the picture from today. I don’t give her another 12 months, honestly.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Marla Singer

• Robert

• John Slayne

5 hours ago, @michael said:

HM looks so frail in the picture from today. I don’t give her another 12 months, honestly.

That's probably still enough time to outlast the next PM. :lakitu:

Can't help but feel that this new PM will be another Theresa May in the making. Like Theresa, she probably won't finish her term.

Β 

The UK were never going to allow a POC to be leader of the country, regardless of whether he's Tory or not so no surprise on that. It's already bad enough for Mayor Khan who has received nothing but scrutiny ever since he took over from Boris, although some of his policies have been a bit questionable.

Β 

The options are just completely dire. I hope Labour take over soon, but even with that it looks quite unlikely.

The tories have been in power for 12 years, yet as always they act like nothing occurring is their fault. Who else’s is it supposed to be?

Β 

Liz Truss wants us to somehow believe that she is going to magically fix everything with no plan. Literally how?

Β 

And the general public still follows along even as we face starvation and freezing in winter.Β Ridiculous. All of this is so ******* unbelievable.Β 

7 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

That's probably still enough time to outlast the next PM. :lakitu:

:lmao:Β 

Β 

Truss will be a mess just like the last few PMs

On 9/6/2022 at 7:33 AM, @michael said:

Well damn it’s coming sooner than I thought :doc:

I suspect a lot of people who think they feel indifference towards the monarchy will spontaneously burst into tears when she passes. She is like the grandmother of the whole country. Hardly anyone alive remembers anyone else as the monarch.

19 minutes ago, Protocol said:

I suspect a lot of people who think they feel indifference towards the monarchy will spontaneously burst into tears when she passes. She is like the grandmother of the whole country. Hardly anyone alive remembers anyone else as the monarch.

I definitely won’t burst into tears butΒ it will be sad, I agree she is like everyone’s grandmother and has been Queen since before my parents were even born.

Β 

She is also the only reason many people weren’t for the monarchy being abolished, with her gone and King Charles and Queen CamilaΒ :skull:Β taking over many won’t be having it so it will be interesting to see what happens.Β 

but also no windfall tax and fracking so we will be bankrupt and drinking dirty water in 2 years

Honestly I am worried about this country going down the dogs [even more] when the Queen dies. Yes it's been **** for a while and I'm not a royalist by any means, BUT I can't deny that the Queen's presence has been comforting for a lot of people. I think there's definitely going to be a shift.

It’s still going up over Β£500 and will be double what it was last year. Also no windfall taxes so has to be paid out of tax.

15 hours ago, Daydream said:

Honestly I am worried about this country going down the dogs [even more] when the Queen dies. Yes it's been **** for a while and I'm not a royalist by any means, BUT I can't deny that the Queen's presence has been comforting for a lot of people. I think there's definitely going to be a shift.

Yeah, there's a lot of uncertainty right now. A new Prime Minster and new monarch in the span of days. A wild time for the country.

The Guardian's Live Blog

Β 

_____

Β 

There’s a β€˜strong chance’ that the pound could fall through parity against the dollar or euro, or both, during King Charles’ reign, fearsΒ Kit Juckes, currency expert atΒ SociΓ©tΓ© GΓ©nΓ©rale.

JuckesΒ says:

Β Neither is likely this year, but sterling’s post-GFC downtrend won’t end until there’s a seismic change in the direction of economic policy and the economy.

After Blair/Brown’s β€˜Cool Britannia’ decade of 3% growth was allowed to get out of control on the back of inadequate financial regulation, GDP growth has averaged a measly 1 Β½%, and the current account deficit has averaged almost 4% GDP.

The sad truth is that while Queen Elizabeth was great, her recent governments haven’t been.

It's crazy how the cost of living crisis was dominating headlines for weeks and now suddenly nobody is talking about it... It's a good thing that Truss got her announcement about the Energy Price Guarantee out just a few hours before the Queen's death. If she hadn't, and all other political business came to a halt due to the Queen's death, we'd have been waiting another couple of weeks for her to say something about it. Talk about good timing.

19 hours ago, Daydream said:

It's crazy how the cost of living crisis was dominating headlines for weeks and now suddenly nobody is talking about it... It's a good thing that Truss got her announcement about the Energy Price Guarantee out just a few hours before the Queen's death. If she hadn't, and all other political business came to a halt due to the Queen's death, we'd have been waiting another couple of weeks for her to say something about it. Talk about good timing.

The performative mourning is very bizarre. Like, she was NINETY SIX. We all knew this was coming any day. It's not a tragedy when a 96 year old dies. This is not Diana. The outpouring of grief was more understandable there. People saw her almost as a battered wife, this young girl practically sold into the royal family when she was a teenager, then humiliated and psychologically abused by the RF, and then she died in a horrible accident with two young children at home. You didn't have to care about the RF to recognize that was a tragedy.

Β 

Anyway as a result of this being completely foreseeable and honestly not that big of a deal, it's a wonder she was even still doing stuff as Queen, there is no need to suspend politics and such. It's so blatantly a distraction. Like it couldn't have come at a better time that I would've thought she had died months ago and this was staged if not for the photo op with Liz Trust the other day.

Just now, Protocol said:

Anyway as a result of this being completely foreseeable and honestly not that big of a deal, it's a wonder she was even still doing stuff as Queen, there is no need to suspend politics and such. It's so blatantly a distraction. Like it couldn't have come at a better time that I would've thought she had died months ago and this was staged if not for the photo op with Liz Trust the other day.

One thing I will say is that maybe it was good timing for Liz Truss that the Queen died when she did. Whilst on one hand it's been a lot of responsibility for her to take on in her first week as PM, on the other hand it's given her an extra two weeks whilst parliament is suspended to gather herself and think more carefully about what her plans as PM are and how she will go about it. It's a blessing in disguise for her. All focus will be on the late Queen and new King, and Truss' cabinet can carefully and quietly plan their next moves.

I hope Prince Andrew gets as much power and status as possible so that we can get closer to being rid of the monarchy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.